Noob question launching game from GCloader

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
Fugazi70

Noob question launching game from GCloader

Post by Fugazi70 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:27 pm

I have a GCloader and Sd2Sp2 (to save config)

So I picked force 480P
And when I launch my games it says patching 1/2 then it launches the DOL

What exactly is it patching ? I assume the video but why does it need two patches

Are these patches inherit to Swiss or stored somewhere ?
Extrems

Re: Noob question launching game from GCloader

Post by Extrems » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:32 pm

The apploader and main DOL. Certain games will have more.

The patched files are stored on the SD2SP2, and are necessary for everything to keep working across resets, boot through IPL, game loading other executables, etc.
Fugazi70

Post by Fugazi70 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:16 pm

Okay so I should see some files related to patching on the sd2sp2?

The only files/folders I see on sd2sp2
Are GBI directory
MCBackup directory with my memory card backup files
IGR file which I use for in game reset
Swiss.ini

Should I see patches or game related entries?
Do I need a seperate folder ?

Thanks again
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:32 am

SWISS patches folder is hidden, inside of it are per-game patches folders. ;)

If I understand what's been modded to come with the next release, SWISS will tell you what specific file is patched.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Fugazi70

Post by Fugazi70 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:17 pm

Cool thanks for the reply
chromium

Post by chromium » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:46 am

I've been using a GC Loader without an SD2SP2 for a while and the games load instantly and I don't see any of that patching stuff. Today I got an SD2SP2 and now I see it patching apptrailer, main.dol, etc and it writes files to the SD card in the SD2SP2. It seems quite slow the first time I load a game, I assume because it's writing to the SD, it's quicker on subsequent loads.

What exactly is happening here? Why does it not do the patching if the SD2SP2 is not present or is it doing it in memory and it's so quick that I don't notice it?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:35 pm

It couldn't before, while it was necessary.
chromium

Post by chromium » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:58 pm

Extrems wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:35 pm
It couldn't before, while it was necessary.
How was it necessary though? Games seemed to work, I was also able to patch things like right stick inversion in Super Mario Sunshine, albeit I couldn't save the config so had to do it every time.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:34 pm

Try any of these games that say "Requires an SD Card Adapter (if resetting).", do the same, and try resetting.
https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Swiss/Forced_Progressive_Compatibility_List#NTSC-U_game_list

Alternatively, try enabling boot through IPL and doing the same.
chromium

Post by chromium » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:10 pm

I'm using my GameCube on a PVM, so not forcing any video modes, if that makes a difference.

What does "Requires an SD Card Adapter if resetting"? Does it mean I need an SD Card Adapter if I press the reset button on the GameCube?

I tried a couple of the games on the list with the SD2SP2 removed and I was able to reset them with the reset button fine. I didn't seem to have any issues before I got the SD2SP2 (other than not being able to save config). The only reason I got the SD2SP2 was so I could save config, but now I am seeing this other behaviour as well.

It makes sense that it would write patches to the SD if I'm actually using them so that the patches will survive a reset, but it's writing them for every game even if I use the default settings for the game. It makes things a bit slower because it is writing/reading from the SD card every time I load a game. It also makes resetting slower because I assume it is reading patches from the SD card.

Sorry for all the questions, none of this is a big deal, I'm just curious as to what is actually going on :)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:20 pm

Perfect. Try forcing 240p then and see if it survives.
chromium

Post by chromium » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:08 am

Nice, I didn't know you could force 240p with Swiss. It looks so much better than 480i on my PVM!

But yes, I could see that the patches wouldn't survive a reset if they aren't saved to SD, but is there a way to make it not save if you don't want to apply patches to avoid reading/writing to SD?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:11 am

If you have a problem with what Swiss is doing, don't use Swiss. It is also naive to think the default settings change nothing.
chromium

Post by chromium » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:52 am

Extrems wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:11 am
If you have a problem with what Swiss is doing, don't use Swiss. It is also naive to think the default settings change nothing.
Oof!

Yes I am naive regarding Swiss. I've not really used it much as I've only had a GC Loader for a few months and an SD2SP2 since yesterday.

By no means do I have a problem with Swiss, I think it's amazing and really appreciate the work that yourself and Emukidid put into it.

I was simply asking some questions around the SD card usage to find out more about how it works as I can't find the information I'm looking for anywhere else.

You didn't even really answer my original question and then got narky. Sorry if I upset you, it certainly wasn't my intention.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:14 am

The following happen by default as of r963:
  • Work around a nasty hardware bug that causes the CPU to lockup. Typically encountered in Super Mario Sunshine when the sun is in view.
  • Work around some GCVideo bugs and limitations.
  • Fix game and SDK bugs (none gameplay related).
  • Fix some Japanese text rendering on non-Japanese systems and related missing localization errors.
  • Make memory card operation region-free.
  • Everything needed to support all of the above.
All of that is lost in the mentioned cases.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:43 am

The thing is that SWISS is quite a unique and unprecedented piece of software that enhances games with the real medias and on the original hardware.

If one wants to run lighter on patches, there still is the option to disable video patches at all.

By what means can 240p look better than 480i on a CRT PVM? :shock:
Something is wrong in what you expect as beeing "right" from such a device or in you signal transmission chain or in the monitor settings. Maybe you're using composite or S-Video cables?
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
chromium

Post by chromium » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:40 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:43 am
By what means can 240p look better than 480i on a CRT PVM? :shock:
Something is wrong in what you expect as beeing "right" from such a device or in you signal transmission chain or in the monitor settings. Maybe you're using composite or S-Video cables?
I use RGB SCART or the official Component cable. Composite and S-Video are an insult to retro gaming consoles :D

I just prefer the progressive scan of 240p over the flickering mess that is 480i :lol:
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:11 pm

Nice, so you may be able to try higher resolutions or even refresh rates if flickering is a concern. :)

emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:16 am

Everyone should be thankful we haven't forced Swiss to mandate a writable storage device, even though we really probably should :P