Virtual Memory Cards corrupted from creation - Solved

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
fraggle200

Virtual Memory Cards corrupted from creation - Solved

Post by fraggle200 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:44 am

Thought I'd post this here in case anyone has the same problems I've been trying to get around for the last couple of days.

I'm running a Pal Dol-001 with a GC loader 1.1.2, Swiss r_1086 as well as a SD2SP2.

I had an issue where any VMC I had wouldn't ever format and would always report as being corrupt. No matter what region it was or whether I tried booting via IPL it still didn't resolve it. I would delete the RAW files off the SD card and start again and still I would have "corrupted" VMCs. I tried reformatting the SD card in the SD2SP2 and it done nothing either, still the same issue.

In the end I traced the problem to the SD card itself in the SD2SP2. Absolutely nothing wrong with the card other than it was an old 2GB SD card. I changed it for a SDXC one and the problem has went away. VMC's all work as intended not corruption and can happily format them as I need to.

Looks like the SD card just wasn't fast enough for what the VMC needed it to do. I've now got a 64GB sd card used for Swiss settings, GBI and VMC's. seems a bit overkill but I'll get a smaller one at somepoint.