Swiss & Rest Button also Patching

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
Lamprey

Swiss & Rest Button also Patching

Post by Lamprey » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:43 am

Hi,

I'm currently running Swiss v0.5r927 (about to do an update). I noticed that the reset button on the console doesn't work when Swiss is running. However, it works on the GameCube options menu and when games are running. Is that know behavior? I also have In Game Reset enabled and working, so I wasn't sure if that overrides the switch on the console while Swiss is active?

Also, is there any documentation on what the "Patching" process is doing? I was just curious what Swiss is doing and why. I've read some posts on various sites that seem to indicate that some state saving is going on, but I am interested in some more official documentation if it exists.

Thanks!
Diego borella

Re: Swiss & Rest Button also Patching

Post by Diego borella » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:03 pm

the patches seem to be released into the console's memory. they are to correct errors and adapt the games to Swiss.

reset will not work on Swiss as well as the second command is not detected.

IGR tracking is not yet 100% functional on all games...
It turns out it works like this; press together: R + Z + B + directional DOWN = IGR

Therefore, the reset button works in games like reset.

you must download the latest swiss review for best performances...
:idea: :geek: SWISS USER :geek: :idea:
DEBUG IS NECESSARY :arrow: :ugeek:
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:43 pm

Patching is required ahead of time (as in, in game time) because there isn't enough free memory like in nintendont or devolution on the Wii to apply patches to functions in games (e.g. to implement redirects/hypervisor calls so that games can run from devices such as SD cards or in widescreen etc) at run-time. So what we do is patch executable code and store it as fragments (on your config device) that are then overlaid to take priority over unpatched parts of the game when they request to read them in game.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:46 pm

It's quite impressive how you did wonders with this patching on the fly that is unnoticeable from a player point of view. 8-)

However, I was wondering if there is an advised way to do for optimal loading times (yes, I know, I won't see the difference, but you may know the timings), wether loading games off an SD card in either slot, and the patches on another, or if both on the same media would be better?
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:08 am

Just use whatever device is fastest for you and the less you change settings the faster it is, cause it'll verify that it doesn't need to write changes.