Possible to add auto disc game launching?

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
bobrocks95

Possible to add auto disc game launching?

Post by bobrocks95 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:19 am

My ultimate goal is launching Swiss with disc games that's as close to a "stock" console experience as possible. A couple options like Boot through IPL and Boot Without Prompts help streamline launching a disc, but it still requires you to select the game's executable and press A to launch it. The Z auto-launch option works well actually, but if you're using it for actual discs it can only remember 1 game at a time.

Would it be possible to streamline any of this further? My proposals would be:

- Adding an option to automatically select a game's executable and launch it on boot. This may be harder than it sounds though, since I don't know the general folder structure for Gamecube discs- is there always only one executable in the root? Do the executables' names vary widely? Is the executable ever in a folder instead of the root?
--- If the logic would get messy here, maybe there could be a way to add multiple Z auto-launch favorites, 1 per unique disc ID? Only one disc can be in at a time of course, though there would have to be some priority choice if it ended up allowing for a disc favorite and say an SD card favorite.
- A "silent" mode that suppresses patching and loading messages, though this isn't too important.

I'm also not sure which source Swiss will try to load from first. Is there a boot priority list it runs through, and can it be customized by the end user?

Curious if this sounds useful to anyone else, or if there are any options I've missed. I could take a stab at it as well if I can get a dev/build environment set up.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Possible to add auto disc game launching?

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:26 am

This is a good idea and I can probably add a special caveat to the logic or a prompt for DVD when setting auto-load on it since it doesn't make sense to remember a specific disc as autoload.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:24 am

Ah glad to hear you think it would be useful, I was actually modifying USB Loader GX for disc autoboot as well tonight (its UI is a lot clunkier than Swiss').

Remembering a specific disc definitely doesn't seem like the best solution, I just thought it might be an easier workaround leveraging the existing favorite option. Is it as easy as just checking for a disc and loading boot.bin or some other main executable that always has the same name if a disc is present, then show a prompt or fallback to menu if there isn't one?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:31 pm

bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:29 pm

emu_kidid wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:31 pm
Take a look at https://github.com/emukidid/swiss-gc/co ... 734539c16a
Works very nicely and cleanly leverages the favorites system much better than I would have managed to. I have yet to install a Kunai or PicoBoot to replace my SD Media Launcher, but it seems to boot and patch the ActionReplay disc when Boot Without Prompt is enabled faster than it takes the OSSC to resync with my display, so plenty fast!

I think the only potential concern is if other users of disc booting methods favorite a game disc and have the boot prompt turned off, then unexpectedly enter a boot loop on the next Swiss launch. This is a pretty edge case though, so it may not be worth worrying about- most display setups will likely show the patching progress in time for users to better understand what's happening.

Oh, and I'm curious if booting Swiss directly from KunaiGC or PicoBoot (or other older options) will skip the console spinning the drive up on boot. Ideally only one drive reset is ever executed, if that's a scenario that's possible to get to.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:48 pm

The drive has to be reset twice anyway due to a firmware bug.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:02 am

Ah, well, pretty much perfect then!