GameCube and USB-C

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
EatingACookie

GameCube and USB-C

Post by EatingACookie » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:47 am

Has anyone modded their GameCube to accept USB-C for power? The OEM power brick says it outputs 12V at 3.25A.
Using something like this: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/15801 which seems to be able to be programmed to output 12V at 3A or 3.5A. I can't imagine 0.25A would fry the MCU or not allow the console to run at all.
I think this would be a pretty simple mod as long as there isn't something big that I am missing.
StarkNebula

Re: GameCube and USB-C

Post by StarkNebula » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:20 am

That's a neat niche idea. I assume you would want to replace the power connector port on the GC itself?

As for specs, you can always go over with current but never under. The GC spec is 3.25A, so 3.5A is fine. When you under-supply current, that's asking for trouble. The GC would try to draw more than the PSU replacement could handle. I think you might run into an issue where you have to be cognizant of the power adapter and cable you use for USB C to ensure both can handle up to 12V DC and 3.25A. Considering that, it would likely be best to just stick with the stock PSU. If the GC PSUs start dying, this might be more viable.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:10 pm

Inside the console is a 5 Amps fuse, so 3,5A might not hurt.

While there are OEM power bricks as well as third party ones for far less than the price of the board you pointed, I don't see the plot in converting USB-C 5V power to GC 12V. The 12V OEM is quite easy to repair if it even dies, and if you don't want to repair, you have a lot of room inside the case to substitute a modern switching alternative.

My own plan for simplifiing power needs while not using too much mains wall plugs is to rely on big 12V power source and Car lighter cables, for Gamecubes and maybe GBAs (ultimately needing 1Wii, 2GCs, and 2GBAs to be powered at the same time, four swords adventure mayhem!) unless I find a solution for GBAs to be powered by the Wii through GC-GBA cable, and daisy chain GC Power.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
EatingACookie

Post by EatingACookie » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:55 pm

StarkNebula wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:20 am
That's a neat niche idea. I assume you would want to replace the power connector port on the GC itself?

As for specs, you can always go over with current but never under. The GC spec is 3.25A, so 3.5A is fine. When you under-supply current, that's asking for trouble. The GC would try to draw more than the PSU replacement could handle. I think you might run into an issue where you have to be cognizant of the power adapter and cable you use for USB C to ensure both can handle up to 12V DC and 3.25A. Considering that, it would likely be best to just stick with the stock PSU. If the GC PSUs start dying, this might be more viable.
Yeah this would be for replacing the power port. I have plenty of USB-C wall adapters that support 45-60W USB-PD spec and plenty of cords rated for the same. I'm a USB-C everything kind of guy. I fanboy over dumb things. Thanks for the advice though!
Papy.G wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:10 pm
Inside the console is a 5 Amps fuse, so 3,5A might not hurt.

While there are OEM power bricks as well as third party ones for far less than the price of the board you pointed, I don't see the plot in converting USB-C 5V power to GC 12V. The 12V OEM is quite easy to repair if it even dies, and if you don't want to repair, you have a lot of room inside the case to substitute a modern switching alternative.

My own plan for simplifiing power needs while not using too much mains wall plugs is to rely on big 12V power source and Car lighter cables, for Gamecubes and maybe GBAs (ultimately needing 1Wii, 2GCs, and 2GBAs to be powered at the same time, four swords adventure mayhem!) unless I find a solution for GBAs to be powered by the Wii through GC-GBA cable, and daisy chain GC Power.
USB-C can supply 12V easily. Nothing on my GameCube is broken in terms of the power supply. I have a GCLoader on pre-order and a Pluto HDMI board installed. I figured moving it to USB-C powered would be a neat way to make it as "modern" as possible. As useless as it sounds since I have a perfectly fine psu and power brick, I also like playing around, so this sounds like fun. If there really isn't anything that I'm missing that would destroy my GameCube, I'm probably just going to go for it at some point.

If anyone is reading this and is also curious, I'll post an update when I get around to actually buying something and installing it, probably in the next few weeks.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:04 am

Just fyi, the 40W power brick is extremely overkill for the GC. It's designed to handle the entire console + a whackload of accessories and then some. If you remove the DVD drive then it will draw significantly less power as well.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:19 pm

I'm planning on testing various configurations to see how much power draws one thing or the other, and see if I can power two GCs+GBPs with only one powerblock (GC or even Wii's).

Sure enough, if we think about what was available back in the days, with only the original power block, you might be able to power: The GC, a BBA, a GBP and one resting cart (maybe there is an idle mode), a LCD screen, two memcards, and four controllers with rumble. :shock:

I'm curious to know if I can power a GBA off the GBP's link port, or off the controller port, and if the 12V for Peritel (euro SCART) can be used to power a little display. I wonder if someone has an idea how many amps can be drawn off them without risking to burn any trace on the MB?
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
StarkNebula

Post by StarkNebula » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:08 pm

Papy.G, I think that would make for a great thread. It would be great to get ranges on each component down. A list for BBA, GBA Player, etc, drawing X power. It would allow people to easily spec out what they need, such as in EatingACookies' case.
EatingACookie

Post by EatingACookie » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:14 pm

Finally decided to go through with this mod. Works super well!
Instead of the SparkFun module I pointed out in the OP, I used this instead: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000454205396.html
There is a 12V version that works perfectly.
I am using a GameCube modded with a GCLoader for a disk drive replacement, and a Pluto HDMI board. I checked the total current draw and found it was about 1.5A normally, and 1.65A with 4 controllers plugged in. I forgot to test with the GameBoy Player added, but I'm not too worried about it.

Currently I am working on a bracket to hold the adapter in place. It actually fits really well if you just remove two small plastic pieces that the power button rests on, but pulling the cable out is a little tough since nothing is holding it in.

I'm also going to work on modifying the GCLoader SD mount from Laser Bear Industries to hold my wall adapter.
I'm using this one: https://www.ravpower.com/products/rp-pc ... ll-charger
I like it because it's really small and the prongs fold, also it supports 12V out, which not all wall adapters do. I should be able to make a slot in the holder so the only thing that wouldn't be included in the GameCube is the HDMI cable.

When I get my bracket and SD mount completed I'll share the files here.
keeves

Post by keeves » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:09 pm

Hey—could you by any chance direct me to where you got your USB C board for this mod. I’m looking to do the same mod myself.
MethodOrMadness

Post by MethodOrMadness » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:19 pm

keeves wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:09 pm
Hey—could you by any chance direct me to where you got your USB C board for this mod. I’m looking to do the same mod myself.
Not entirely sure what OP used, but i am going to be using these boards https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0953G14Q2

Ive also 3d modeled and printed a bracket to hold the board in the back(havent fully tested it yet), but its only compatible with the dol-001 cube(it uses the back plate as an anchor point). ill post the model once ive confirmed it works with this board, as well as try to find a dol-101 and create a model for it. hope this helps

edit: https://github.com/MethodOrMadness/GC-USB-C
Heres the models and a little bit of pictures for doing it
Zekromisblack

Post by Zekromisblack » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:19 am

i was looking into this mod and it seems to be more ideal to use a dc to dc step down converter with 15-20 volts as 12 volts isnt required in the spec
found a nice write up for it here: https://github.com/LOLYsk/Gamecube-USB-C-PD-MOD