Identifiying (roughly) what IPL you have.

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Ashen

Identifiying (roughly) what IPL you have.

Post by Ashen » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:24 pm

A guy over on Modretro did a nice little writeup on this and I asked permission to copy it over here. All credit for this writeup to Zeldaxppro.
zeldaxpro wrote:Hey guys zeldaxpro here with a theory on GameCube IPL. I am currently in the process of making a GameCube Portable and have been testing many GameCubes to decide what motherboard is the best to use with a Wiikey Fusion Modchip. I recently bought a lot of 5 GameCubes labeled "AS IS" and I was diagnosing the problems (turns out the only problems were faulty disc drives). When I was trying out one of the GameCubes, I noticed that it had a red "Press Start" menu instead of the normal purple Start menu that all the others had. Now I did some research about this in regards to IPL and have not found anything. So I am presenting my theory: If your GameCube "Press Start" Menu is Red, then it is IPL 1.0 and incompatible with the Wiikey Fusion.

Ashen made a statement on GameCube IPL:

All PAL GameCubes = IPL 1.1+

NSTC-U/J GameCubes:

Dol-CPU-10: IPL 1.0
Dol-CPU-11: 50/50 chance of IPL 1.0 or 1.1
Dol-CPU-20/30= IPL 1.1+
Dol-101 (Rev C)= IPL 1.1+

Me and a friend have tested out all the GameCube Motherboards we had and here were the results:

1. Dol-001, NTSC-U, CPU-10, Made in Japan: Red Start Menu
2. Dol-001, NTSC-U, CPU-11, Made in Japan: Red Start Menu
3. Dol-001, NTSC-U, CPU-11, Made in Japan: Red Start Menu
4. Dol-001, NTSC-U, CPU-11, Made in Japan: Purple Start Menu
5. Dol-001, NTSC-U, CPU-11, Made in China: Purple Start Menu
6. Dol-001, NTSC-U, CPU-20, Made in China: Purple Start Menu
7. Dol-001, NTSC-U, CPU-30, Made in China: Purple Start Menu
8. Dol-001, NTSC-U, CPU-30, Made in China: Purple Start Menu
9. Dol-101, NTSC-U, CPU-50, Made in China: Purple Start Menu
10. Dol-101, NTSC-U, CPU-50, Made in China: Purple Start Menu
11. Dol-101, NTSC-U, CPU-50, Made in China: Purple Start Menu
12. Dol-101, NTSC-U, CPU-50, Made in China: Purple Start Menu

Now these results match up to Ashen's statement on GameCube IPL (the information below is based just on our test results):

NSTC-U/J GameCubes:

Dol-CPU-10: IPL 1.0....Had a Red Start Menu
Dol-CPU-11: 50/50 chance of IPL 1.0 or 1.1....Both had Red and Purple Start Menus
Dol-CPU-20/30= IPL 1.1+....Had Purple Start Menus
Dol-101 (Rev C)= IPL 1.1+....Had Purple Start Menus

So this information shows that Red Start Menus indicate IPL 1.0. Now I am not saying this Theory is true, but the evidence above is leaning toward validation. If you guys have anything to add feel free to post it. Thanks for reading.
megalomaniac

Re: Identifiying (roughly) what IPL you have.

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:25 pm

Nice and simple if the theory holds true...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:53 am

ha! i never knew!
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
retronerd

Post by retronerd » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:48 pm

Hello i have an Dol-CPU-11 NTSC with Red start text. Can i use the wasp with this Gamecube?
novenary

Post by novenary » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:22 pm

There is no problem with using wasp on ipl 1.0 as long as swiss is flashed on it. If you order from badass consoles it will already be done.
retronerd

Post by retronerd » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:44 pm

Streetwalker wrote:There is no problem with using wasp on ipl 1.0 as long as swiss is flashed on it. If you order from badass consoles it will already be done.
What do you mean? I already have an wasp chip and tought my console was not compatible?

can i flash swiss on wasp using an wii?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:10 pm

retronerd wrote:
Streetwalker wrote:There is no problem with using wasp on ipl 1.0 as long as swiss is flashed on it. If you order from badass consoles it will already be done.
What do you mean? I already have an wasp chip and tought my console was not compatible?

This is what happens when you read forum posts from 2013 - as Streetwalker said, you can use it on IPL 1.0 if it's running Swiss.
retronerd

Post by retronerd » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:29 am

emu_kidid wrote:
retronerd wrote:

This is what happens when you read forum posts from 2013 - as Streetwalker said, you can use it on IPL 1.0 if it's running Swiss.
Okay! But i have an NTSCU 1.1 is that ipl 1.0? can i flash swiss to wasp using a wii console?
retronerd

Post by retronerd » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:19 pm

Is it possible to flash it with an wii?
teconmoon

Post by teconmoon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:46 pm

retronerd wrote:
Yes, it's how I flashed my WASP Fusion that I ordered from eurasia
retronerd

Post by retronerd » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:13 pm

teconmoon wrote:
retronerd wrote:
Thanks! My mobo is NTSCU V11 vith red Start logo can i be sure it is IPL1.0?
teconmoon

Post by teconmoon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:44 pm

retronerd wrote:
teconmoon wrote:
retronerd wrote: Is it possible to flash it with an wii?
There is not a definitive way to determine if your IPL is 1.0, based on the first post. It also doesn't matter what IPL you have if you're planning on using your GameCube for Swiss.

WiiKey / WASP Fusion support IPL 1.0 AFTER Swiss has been flashed to it, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
retronerd

Post by retronerd » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:54 pm

teconmoon wrote:
retronerd wrote:
teconmoon wrote: Yes, it's how I flashed my WASP Fusion that I ordered from eurasia
There is not a definitive way to determine if your IPL is 1.0, based on the first post. It also doesn't matter what IPL you have if you're planning on using your GameCube for Swiss.

WiiKey / WASP Fusion support IPL 1.0 AFTER Swiss has been flashed to it, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks! I want to know if i shall buy a wii just to flash the wasp, if i had ipl1.1 i doenst need a wii, thats why
teconmoon

Post by teconmoon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:32 pm

I would either borrow a Wii from someone or just buy one off eBay that has a broken disk drive. This for example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/282186112304

But then you'd need a Wii remote, sensor bar (or candles), power cable and AV cable, so buying a Wii JUST to flash a WASP isn't a great idea.
retronerd

Post by retronerd » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:51 pm

teconmoon wrote:I would either borrow a Wii from someone or just buy one off eBay that has a broken disk drive. This for example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/282186112304

But then you'd need a Wii remote, sensor bar (or candles), power cable and AV cable, so buying a Wii JUST to flash a WASP isn't a great idea.
I found a cheap wii:) do i need an sdgecko to flash the wasp when i using the wii?
teconmoon

Post by teconmoon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:48 pm

retronerd wrote:
teconmoon wrote:I would either borrow a Wii from someone or just buy one off eBay that has a broken disk drive. This for example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/282186112304

I found a cheap wii:) do i need an sdgecko to flash the wasp when i using the wii?
Yes you do, follow the wiki instructions for best results: http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.ph ... sion_Flash