Getting started modding my Gamecube

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
dekatrace

Getting started modding my Gamecube

Post by dekatrace » Sat May 25, 2013 11:52 pm

My faithful Gamecube that I have owned 10 years this year and still works has had little usage in past 7 years (due to upgrade to hd and not liking how it looks) But I want to play some games in my bedroom and worried about the dvd drive eventually dying(and I know backups are hit and miss on the gamecube) I do own original discs but dont want to use them unless I have to.

I have been reading that I can use a wiikey to boot(on front page) but just a little confused, do I need to solder(I want to keep dvd drive intact) as I never learned how to, all I really want is a way to boot into swiss without a dvd drive.

I did sometime in the future think of one of those hard drive extras too but they seem expensive and not much point.

I have my powerful pc for emulation just miss my real gamecube!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Getting started modding my Gamecube

Post by emu_kidid » Sun May 26, 2013 11:00 pm

There's a few things you can do.

1. Installation of a Wiikey Fusion with a megadrive mod. (you need to remove the original DVD connector and solder this in its place, you will still retain DVD capabilities, albeit being left with a different process to use your cube).
2. Get a XenoGC, and use a SDGecko+Swiss, this will allow you to play your originals backed up to SD card with moderate compatibility.
3. Get SD Media Launcher and a SDGecko and use Swiss, this will not require you to mod any part of your GameCube.

More info: http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.ph ... g_Homebrew

Essentially once you can boot homebrew, that's enough.
megalomaniac

Re: Getting started modding my Gamecube

Post by megalomaniac » Sun May 26, 2013 11:13 pm

if you really want to save your DVD drive then a WKF or WODE will help
you will boot directly into the "drive replacement" and run titles from SD/USB
this will allow you to use your DVD drive only when you need to...

all other current methods require using the DVD (laser/motor)....
unless you can find a qoob pro modchip, then you can boot directly to swiss to play titles from SD
qoob's are very hard to find now so the WKF/WODE alternative may be your best option...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image