Disabling progressive scan on the component cable (hardware)

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Ashen

Disabling progressive scan on the component cable (hardware)

Post by Ashen » Sun May 26, 2013 4:38 am

Why the hell would you want to do this you ask? Well, if you have an old TV that supports component input but not progressive scan and want to run some homebrew that defaults to progressive scan if the component cable is detected. That's reason enough right there.

I had done this mod previously using another setup and didn't fully realize what the actual effect was until now. Previously, I had though doing this mod disabled the component cable output completely, but it does not. Instead this mod gives the component cable everything it needs to fully function in interlaced display mode and tricks the GameCube into not detecting that its plugged in at all.

Here are the pinouts for the component cable (taken from gamesx):

What we're concerned with here is pin 1, which is labeled as "detect cable" and is actually an output to the motherboard. What we need to do is sever the connection this pin makes going to the motherboard and put a "on/off" switch in between it so that you can turn progressive mode on or off. You can do this either on the component chip itself, or on the GC motherboard. Its as simple as that. If the pin 1 connection going to the motherboard is cut, you get interlaced mode and the GameCube will act like it doesn't even know the cable is plugged in.
megalomaniac

Re: Disabling progressive scan on the component cable (hardw

Post by megalomaniac » Sun May 26, 2013 4:51 am

just saying....
considering the cost of the component cable, the technique required to pull a single pin, and the hell it is to put the shielding and case back on.....it would be eaiser to just cut pin on the digital port connector on the mobo side and put a switch there

and if you screw it up, buy another gamecube for 20$....better than buying another 120$ component cable
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Sun May 26, 2013 5:27 am

Ashen wrote:You can do this either on the component chip itself, or on the GC motherboard.
I get what you're saying though, to clarify, I cut the trace on the motherboard, not the component cable/chip. I was just using the pics of the component cable so people would know what the hell I was talking about.
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Sun May 26, 2013 11:13 am

Ashen wrote:Why the hell would you want to do this you ask? Well, if you have an old TV that supports component input but not progressive scan and want to run some homebrew that defaults to progressive scan if the component cable is detected. That's reason enough right there.
Any possibility of the same modification for the Wii's component output? I too use a component cable with a 480i CRT.

After spending months searching for a reasonably priced GC component cable, I decided it made more sense to retire the Gamecube and its tired laser and use the Wii for all GC games.
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Sun May 26, 2013 2:12 pm

I think it's even simpler to just get a PAL cube and not waste a component cable
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Sun May 26, 2013 4:46 pm

Diminuendo wrote:I think it's even simpler to just get a PAL cube and not waste a component cable
I don't even understand how this statement is relevant. PAL cubes output interlaced RGB through the analog port, which my TV doesn't support. My TV is interlaced component only. Plus, PAL cubes output video at a different default resolution and refresh rate than NTSC cubes. So the image from a PAL GC will look boinked on an older CRT NTSC TV. Not to mention that PAL GC's video decoder doesn't handle NTSC games video output well at all by default. You would have to do some kind of video mode forcing, which you'd still need to be able to boot some homebrew to do, and wont be able to if you can't see the screen properly initially.

I don't understand how this is wasting a component cable either. You don't even have to modify the cable to do this mod, everything can be done right on the GC motherboard. IMO this makes the component cable MORE useful. No dicking around, switching video inputs on your TV, plugging/unplugging cables from the GC. This allows me to simply turn on my GC, and go.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon May 27, 2013 12:16 am

I'll fix the forcing of this in Swiss, thanks for reminding me ;)

Great guide too :)
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Mon May 27, 2013 10:34 pm

Ashen wrote:Not to mention that PAL GC's video decoder doesn't handle NTSC games video output well at all by default. You would have to do some kind of video mode forcing, which you'd still need to be able to boot some homebrew to do, and wont be able to if you can't see the screen properly initially.
What are you talking about? I never had any problems playing NTSC games on my PAL Gamecube. Unless Freeloader takes care of some of this, of course.

By the way, please don't abuse the apostrophe. :(
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue May 28, 2013 12:32 am

BenoitRen wrote: What are you talking about? I never had any problems playing NTSC games on my PAL Gamecube. Unless Freeloader takes care of some of this, of course.

By the way, please don't abuse the apostrophe. :(

PAL TV vs NTSC TV vs GC AVE vs TITLE REGION

if you are still confused then think it over...
if you are not confused, still dont reply because you are wrong either way
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Tue May 28, 2013 3:35 pm

MOD EDIT: Removed offensive post. Play nice guys.
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Tue May 28, 2013 4:02 pm

Take it easy guys....
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue May 28, 2013 10:13 pm

woah, take it easy guys. Video modes are video modes, no need to get so heated about specifics.