Best mods for a Panasonic Q?

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Marmotta

Best mods for a Panasonic Q?

Post by Marmotta » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:06 pm

I have a Panasonic Q with a broken DVD tray (pretty standard) and I was wondering what would currently be the best possible modifications for it. I have installed a Qoob SX in one in the past, but was thinking about going all out with every possible mod this time round. What would you recommend out of the existing options like WASP, USB Gecko, IDE-EXI, WKF, etc, will they all work with a Q and is there any point in combining any of them?
megalomaniac

Re: Best mods for a Panasonic Q?

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:03 am

only the tray is broken? nothing more?
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:50 pm

I'm not sure if you can install a WASP/WiiKey into a Q. Really only sure way is Qoob/Viper BBA PSO but with a broken DVD tray? Does it load games if you get them in the drive? Pic's would help

I would think that it wouldn't work with drive replacement because of the DVD player. Not sure where you could fix that drive ether maybe just get a normal gamecube and hack that instead
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:52 pm

andre104623 wrote:I'm not sure if you can install a WASP/WiiKey into a Q.
It's the exact same motherboard, it will definitely work, the question is whether the DVD drive can be used in passthrough which is very likely since it's the exact same interface at the electrical level.
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:10 am

could you replace the DVD drive with a Wii Drive?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:50 am

Diminuendo wrote:could you replace the DVD drive with a Wii Drive?
with a few mods? yes

i have a panasonic Q that has issues with some of the front panel buttons so its kinda useless for DVD movies...
my drive brackets are also in about 1million pieces so ill need to fabricate new brackets....
my dvd drive does work but ive also thought about putting a wii drive....
of course if you put a wii drive, you will have to bypass all the other hardware in there which makes it compatible with DVD movies...

so the biggest question before modding is: how do you plan to use the Q? standalone game console or games + movies...
this question will determine what can and cant be done for Q modding...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:57 pm

Basically the drive tray and bracket are broken - the Q's drive seems to be made of the most brittle plastic ever.

It'll just be used as a glorified Gamecube - I don't see the point in using an average region locked 13 year old DVD player.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:19 am

you can bypass the DVD hardware and modify the wiring to add a wii DVD drive...
thats what i might be doing to mine...
ill have a PCB design soon just for something like this

Image Image Image
Slypty

Post by Slypty » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:26 am

Marmotta wrote:Basically the drive tray and bracket are broken - the Q's drive seems to be made of the most brittle plastic ever.

It'll just be used as a glorified Gamecube - I don't see the point in using an average region locked 13 year old DVD player.

It's true, the Q's disc tray almost always break. So, a buddy and I came up with a 3D-printed model replacement. What do you guys think? We've done a trial and it ended up working flawless. We also do Region Mods for Gamecube's with a disc tray replacement as a service. It hasn't been a hot seller as of yet, but we just finished a week or two ago.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 7.25.09 AM.png
(329.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
dylbob42

Post by dylbob42 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:48 am

Slypty wrote:
Marmotta wrote:Basically the drive tray and bracket are broken - the Q's drive seems to be made of the most brittle plastic ever.

It's true, the Q's disc tray almost always break. So, a buddy and I came up with a 3D-printed model replacement. What do you guys think? We've done a trial and it ended up working flawless. We also do Region Mods for Gamecube's with a disc tray replacement as a service. It hasn't been a hot seller as of yet, but we just finished a week or two ago.
if i could buy a couple of cd trays off you that would be grate, also on your ebay listing you say contact us for questions but dont have that function enabled
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:06 am

I'd also be interested in one.
Sierron

Post by Sierron » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:48 am

Slypty wrote:Gamecube's with a disc tray replacement
Now that sounds interesting for me. Would like to see how that replacment fits into the gamecube. :)
Own a couple PAL and JPN cubes. And three BBAs. Homeland and PSO I/II.
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:21 pm

Slypty wrote:

Hadn't been on the forums for a while and don't even have the Q originally mentioned, but I would still be very interested in this. What sort of price would it sell for?