DVD Drive Emulator Question

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Greg2600

Re: DVD Drive Emulator Question

Post by Greg2600 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:14 am

Syntax wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:36 pm
Wode accepts USB hard drives and a SD card at the same time.

The entire set of GC will not fit on a SD card but will fit on a HDD, likewise for Wii games if anyone were to fit this to a Wii or if the project branched that way in the future.

Limiting the system to SD is a bit silly IMO.
Most of the ODE solutions these days are SD Card based. If they support SDXC, you can use a 2TB card. GC Loader page sounds like it's SDXC supported.
FAT32 format a 512GB* or lower memory card. Place an ISO file on the memory card called boot.iso and insert the memory card.

* 1TB cards are untested but should work. There might be some memory cards that will not work but is not expected.

I'm not sure what the disagreement is about? This ODE is no different than the Dreamcast/Saturn solutions currently being offered? They involve removal of the disc drives. I've openly inquired on whether you could develop an interface via the port the GBA Player uses, as it would be quite a bit faster than anything BUT this direct drive interface. Perhaps that could be an SD2SP2 alternative/offshoot in the future, but I certainly have no skills to try!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:22 am

Greg2600 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:14 am
I've openly inquired on whether you could develop an interface via the port the GBA Player uses, as it would be quite a bit faster than anything BUT this direct drive interface.
External Interface: 3.375 MB/s
Disc Interface: ~20 MB/s
SDRAM Interface (Game Boy Player): 81 MB/s

Note that using it would rely on software methods, and as such, have the same compatibility.

And for good measure, the disc read speed is 2.1-3.325 MiB/s.

Oh, and fun fact, the Game Boy Player generates 26 MB/s worth of data. 2/3 of which is audio.
Soliner

Post by Soliner » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:04 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:35 pm
So, I assume you have a DOL-101?
No, I only have DOL-001.
Papy.G wrote:
There, I agree, but you don't have to bash them for doing something with less functionnalities, because it was nonetheless a hard work to get it done. In the end, choice is given to you to buy this or not. Maybe even someone will eventually pop with a dual-drive upgrade for it in some months.
I'm not bashing, I was replying to a stupid comment from Manuu. My first message was a reply to Link83, who was also complaining for the lack of passthrough. My intend was not to bash the great work made by meneerbeer, but to add my voice to the people asking for this feature (at least 3 on this board, and many more on Shmup board).
Papy.G wrote:
There are some great softmods for the Wii that reduce much the targeted market. I agree that it is not exactly the same, but it does the job quite well for most, and wayyy cheaper! (Wii+component cable≠GC+HD device+DVD emulator)
Yes, but this mode would work on Wii for almost no extra cost. The more option we have, the better for everyone. It is even possible to create PCB with extra pins to support the various drive connectors.
Manuu wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:29 pm
Realy ? It's not McDonald's... Meneerbeer are not here to adapt to YOUR requirements. As i have said, you don't like this product, well buy a Wasp ( https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpr ... 3923490988) , buy a QSB and stop bothering people... You have choice. :roll:
I think I'm going to mute you, you are way too childish to have an interesting conversation with you.
(En d'autres mots, t'es trop gamin.)
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:05 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:14 am
I've openly inquired on whether you could develop an interface via the port the GBA Player uses, as it would be quite a bit faster than anything BUT this direct drive interface. Perhaps that could be an SD2SP2 alternative/offshoot in the future, but I certainly have no skills to try!
One of the main reason many of us here rather use the GC over a Wii is the GameBoy Player, and, as you say, it already uses this port. The only good reason to use this particular port, and maybe with a passthrough to GBPlayer, if possible, would be a SDRam expansion.
The disc bus offers data transfer rates over what we could have dreamt of, and yet, the SD card solutions still have to reach that speed. Also, it has been proven that drive select can be achieved on it, and it is the way that may allow the most compatibility, since it's the "natural" way games are loaded.
Nothing can compare to SD2SP2 since it is the easiest and cheapest way ever to access to SD cards (almost just cables are needed) with compatibility as a tradeoff.
Soliner wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:04 pm
No, I only have DOL-001.
Didn't you have to lose functionnality when installing the GC Dual?
Soliner wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:04 pm
My intend was not to bash the great work made by meneerbeer, but to add my voice to the people asking for this feature (at least 3 on this board, and many more on Shmup board).
OK, so what about an individual board with the possibility to choose between one device and the other?
If both peripherals are equipped with three state outputs, it may be just a matter of ChipSelect.
How the previous systems with two drives selected which drive they activate?
How many of you would be happy with a switch selection?
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:00 am

Hmm, very interesting answers guys! Guess I'll try to get an SD2SP2 the next time they're in stock.
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:21 pm

Thanks for all the input on DVD pass-through. I will keep it in mind for the future. Maybe there will be a limited run, for instance.

Right now the consideration was to add most important features that still allow for a relatively easy installation.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:08 pm

Bedankt voor alle moeite zover meneerbeer!
Haydinho

Post by Haydinho » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:57 am

Haydinho

Post by Haydinho » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:15 pm

Anyone here manage to get one of the initial releases of GC Loader?
mkaake

Post by mkaake » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:43 pm

No, in spite of being signed up for in stock notice, I did my daily page refresh around noon and saw the first 125 were gone.

Fingers crossed for next week I guess.
rey_1178

Post by rey_1178 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:48 pm

Same thing here. Really disappointing.
Haydinho

Post by Haydinho » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:16 am

I was hoping that they would be offered here prior to general public, wishful thinking i guess
Dark_Knight

Post by Dark_Knight » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:33 am

Hello everyone!

I have been watching the thread for quite a while but signed up just to comment and ask a question about this. As a retro gamer and member of a retro community, that also use my cube for events and conventions, i have been plagued with reliabilty issues and replacement lenses for my cube for a long time.

This ODE seems like a lifesaver, since i won't have to worry about worn lenses and disk read errors anymore. However, since i live in Greece, items outside of the EU get charged a lot of import tax by local customs. Could there be an option to buy a unit within europe?

Tahnk you in advance
Haydinho

Post by Haydinho » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:40 am

Dark_Knight wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:33 am
Hello everyone!

I have been watching the thread for quite a while but signed up just to comment and ask a question about this. As a retro gamer and member of a retro community, that also use my cube for events and conventions, i have been plagued with reliabilty issues and replacement lenses for my cube for a long time.

This ODE seems like a lifesaver, since i won't have to worry about worn lenses and disk read errors anymore. However, since i live in Greece, items outside of the EU get charged a lot of import tax by local customs. Could there be an option to buy a unit within europe?

Tahnk you in advance
As far as i know these are being produced in the US by Dan, this is a closed project so they wont be supplied by anyone else (not being produced in Europe).
Dark_Knight

Post by Dark_Knight » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:52 am

Well then, if no other solution can be reached, it seems that my wallet will have to suffer a bit... Let's hope i manage to get my hands on one!
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:49 am

I live in Europe and I will start selling them eventually (hopefully next batch). It takes some time to set this up, so that is why Citrus took care of the first round. The idea will be that people based in US order from Citrus and people in EU order from me. That way people from EU do not have to pay the import taxes. Obviously, people are still free to order from whoever they like.
Dark_Knight

Post by Dark_Knight » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:08 pm

Hey meneerbeer,

Thanks for your fast response! Really appreciate your plan and willingness to take care of the european customers, i am sure there are also others like me. In that case, would you advice me to wait a while (1-2 months maybe) and eventually order from you? Since the current import taxes make me hesitate, that could prove really helpful.

Best regards
MockyLock

Post by MockyLock » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:24 am

Hey, nice !
I could be interested in your option, meneerbeer :)
Hoping Santa will fill a bit my wallet...
badsector

Post by badsector » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:40 am

I will also wait for your option then, maneerbeer. Thanks for leeting us know!
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:29 pm

Dark_Knight wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:08 pm
Hey meneerbeer,

Thanks for your fast response! Really appreciate your plan and willingness to take care of the european customers, i am sure there are also others like me. In that case, would you advice me to wait a while (1-2 months maybe) and eventually order from you? Since the current import taxes make me hesitate, that could prove really helpful.

Best regards
I should definitely be selling in maximum 2 months. So if that is fine for you, then wait. :)
Dark_Knight

Post by Dark_Knight » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:03 pm

I will, thanks a lot!

By the way, the second batch over at Dan's shop seems to have sold out like hotcakes. I really hope availability won't become an issue
mkaake

Post by mkaake » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:13 pm

Holy wow.

I checked it in the morning. And about 4 times since then every hour. And just saw this:

Dec 23: This lot of 275 units will ship out in 1-3 weeks in the order the payments are recieved.

So the in stock notification is seriously broken. I’m also wondering if people are buying massive quantities - without an in stock notification it’s hard to imagine 275 selling out from people just randomly checking if there’s stock during the day.
rey_1178

Post by rey_1178 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:59 pm

It sold out little over 5 minutes. I was able to get one this time. Was at home today and told the wife that at 9:59 am i had to be infront of the pc.
Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:06 pm

In 5 minutes??? Wow that's crazy. They must not have prevented large qty purchases.
rey_1178

Post by rey_1178 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:55 pm

Yes at our request via Twitter this time it was one per person.