Hi, about Serial port 2 USB for Swiss, any chance?

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
BimboBoop

Hi, about Serial port 2 USB for Swiss, any chance?

Post by BimboBoop » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:23 am

HI guys, I am new at the forum. Actually Emu kidid recommended me at youtube to join here, maybe around a year ago, I know is late but I am finally here.

So this is my question. I own the regular Indigo DOL-001 model already equiped with the Broadband adapter and Gameboy Player at the bottom and also with the Component cable at the back. I always use all of them with SWISS and a Gecko adapter, cause I am used to play with my friends, each time we could, linking through ethernet with my Wii console, the ethernet adapter and Devolution , to play games like Mario Kart DD between both consoles in multiplayer matches. Also I like to force those games to 16:9 aspect ratio if possible at both screens, using both devolution and wii and Swiss at GC. So I am explaning all this cause for me, keeping all these accesories is a must.

I know today there are other solutions like the IDE-EXI, WIikeyFusion, or WODE, to place the Swiss Loader , but I realized the SERIAL PORT 2 from the gamecube includes a small hole with a good size to place there a USB Pendrive and since the Gamecube games are 1.35GB size maybe a simple 128GB USB stick could be the answer for all of US, isn it?. Even more, the plug inside the board looks pretty close to an USB, with 4 pins inside. Even if the speed is not good enough to launch games, the idea to use the port to launch Swiss or the Gamecube's and Gameboy Player's Apps, whitout losing any of the other gamecube ports, is still a good idea, dont you think guys?

I Know some kind of USB adapter was already builded for the Serial port 2, but I am pretty sure it must be impossible to found these days isn it? SO I was wondering there is not any chance to build an adapter to load Swiss In order to take advantage of the Serial port 2 and keep everything nice and simple? I readed the tutorial emukidd showed at this forum to build an IDE adapter using the Broadband adapter port, and mods like that one bring me some hope that this could be done. I am not trying to talk on behalf anyone here, but I also readed at a previous post , that Emukidid explained to some guy , that using the serial port 2 will be added at future, but what about if someone figure a way to make that wasted gamecube's port, the ultimate solution for every DOL 001 owners? Something like that could be possible, now at 2019?

Well I hope EmuKidid doesnt get mad with me for mention his name so many times, but is was related to the topic I am posting, and I wanna be sure you guys realize I didnt wrotte this whitout searching for info first. So I hope any good news could be shared here, about this. Best Vibes guys!
Last edited by BimboBoop on Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Hi, about Serial port 2 USB for Swiss, any chance?

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:08 am

Serial port 2 SD is going to be way more feasible than USB, that reminds me, I never received my sd sp2 adaptor from citrus (which will need work to support)
BimboBoop

Post by BimboBoop » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:04 am

emu_kidid wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:08 am
Serial port 2 SD is going to be way more feasible than USB, that reminds me, I never received my sd sp2 adaptor from citrus (which will need work to support)
Hi Emu_Kidid, thanks for answering me. Thats really refreshing to read. Do you think developing a cheap SD adapter for Serial port 2, would be possible? In my opinion that would be the best hardware method to run your Swiss. I bet there are people like me not much into "destructive" mods to make to their own retro consoles. Is not only about performance for me, also everytime i heard about a mod beggining with "you have to remove the laser drive" or "you just have to make a hole on the case" a chill runs through my spine :) :D Thats why I prefer to keep with the SD Gecko adpter until now, but losing a Memory card port is a shame, even more with a port at the console still available.

BTW, that sd sp2 adaptor you mentioned is a different kind of adapter to those Gecko ones and clones? I never readed about it. I just google it, and nothing.
Last edited by BimboBoop on Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
MockyLock

Post by MockyLock » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:54 am

Hi here.
Strange you never got them emu, i got 2 of them few weeks ago.
If you had to never get yours, tell me and i'll send one to you.
BimboBoop

Post by BimboBoop » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:29 am

Hi MobyLock, sorry about to bother with the maybe silly question. But can you explain me what is the SD SP2 adaptor, Emu_Kidid mentioned?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:40 am

It's a small PCB that plugs into Serial Port 2 with a micro SD card slot. There's no support for it currently in anything though yet.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:38 am

Game Boy Interface and Enhanced mGBA got support earlier today.
MockyLock

Post by MockyLock » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:20 am

Hey nice !
BimboBoop

Post by BimboBoop » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:17 am

emu_kidid wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:40 am
It's a small PCB that plugs into Serial Port 2 with a micro SD card slot. There's no support for it currently in anything though yet.
That sound Awesome!! I couldnt find any info to buy one googling
MockyLock wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:54 am
Hi here.
Strange you never got them emu, i got 2 of them few weeks ago.
If you had to never get yours, tell me and i'll send one to you.
Guys where did you find yours? or is something you must build by your own? Could you guys show me a picture? or diagrams is that the case?
Extrems wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:38 am
Game Boy Interface and Enhanced mGBA got support earlier today.
Extrems, thanks for sharing that info. A new release should appear at the Github site soon? I tought mGBA was something only for PCs. This means Some DS games could maybe be played at gamecube at future?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:51 pm

I don't use GitHub for releases, and the port has been around since 2015.
MockyLock

Post by MockyLock » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:59 am

liquitt

Post by liquitt » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:59 am

how did everybody miss this? :D
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
Sierron

Post by Sierron » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:51 pm

Can an SD Media Launcher make use of that Serial Port 2 to load something from it? I would guess no.
Own a couple PAL and JPN cubes. And three BBAs. Homeland and PSO I/II.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:26 am

Sierron wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:51 pm
Can an SD Media Launcher make use of that Serial Port 2 to load something from it? I would guess no.
You've guessed correctly.
BimboBoop

Post by BimboBoop » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:31 am

MockyLock wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:59 am
Everything's here :
https://github.com/citrus3000psi/SD2SP2
MockyLock this looks awesome!! I bet this will solve everybodys dreams. I hope I can afford this. The only thing I found could be improved is if the SD card port itself goes closer to the Serial Port 2 Cover's Side hole. In that way the SD card could be placed Using the side Hole whitout the need of take appart the cover or the Gameboy player. Taking Apart the Gameboy Player is pretty much troublesome. Do you have one to sell Mobylock? ;)
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:49 am

If I might ask a dumb question, what's the point of using that port when SD adapters already exist for memory card port B? Is serial port 2 faster or going to give you a way to launch Swiss without needing to use a game exploit every time you boot the system (or Xeno + Swiss DVD-R)? It seems like a redundant solution...
BimboBoop

Post by BimboBoop » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:54 am

emu_kidid wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:08 am
Emukidid, when you mentioned this, do you were thinking in terms of reading speed? or maybe just GB size ? Cause if the speed is not a factor , what about using a USB to SD adapter plugged there at the side's hole of the SP 2? I am figuring an usb connector there will be easiest to find the plug by touch than placing a small micro SD, But of course if Using an external secondary adapter or the USB speed itself is the problem please let me know.

What about placing an extrenal HDD there? If there is an USB instead SD connection of course. If the voltage power is not enough, one of the second USB plugs from the Y USB cable could be powered with a power Supply or any external method isn it?
Last edited by BimboBoop on Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
BimboBoop

Post by BimboBoop » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:58 am

Aleron Ives wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:49 am
If I might ask a dumb question, what's the point of using that port when SD adapters already exist for memory card port B? Is serial port 2 faster or going to give you a way to launch Swiss without needing to use a game exploit every time you boot the system (or Xeno + Swiss DVD-R)? It seems like a redundant solution...
Not at all dude. I dont know about speed, but if I found a way to have both memory card ports free in order to use them with actual memory cards or microphone according my needs, then this is not redundant at all, this is actually an improve.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:16 am

Literally all ports are used up on my system at this point.

Serial Port 2 is functionally the same(ish) as the other serial ports, but like Memory Slot B, is on its own dedicated channel. Memory Slot A is shared with Serial Port 1 and RTC-DOL, which can confuse SD cards.
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:51 am

BimboBoop wrote:if I found a way to have both memory card ports free in order to use them with actual memory cards or microphone according my needs
Ah, OK, people just want the second memory card slot back. I thought serial port 2 had some extra benefit over putting the SD card into the memory card port.
BimboBoop

Post by BimboBoop » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:13 am

Aleron Ives wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:51 am
BimboBoop wrote:if I found a way to have both memory card ports free in order to use them with actual memory cards or microphone according my needs
Ah, OK, people just want the second memory card slot back. I thought serial port 2 had some extra benefit over putting the SD card into the memory card port.
Maybe , I dont know about it. Someone as Emu_Kidid or Extrems could answer that.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:16 am

I already did.
BimboBoop

Post by BimboBoop » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:41 am

Extrems wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:16 am
Literally all ports are used up on my system at this point.

Serial Port 2 is functionally the same(ish) as the other serial ports, but like Memory Slot B, is on its own dedicated channel. Memory Slot A is shared with Serial Port 1 and RTC-DOL, which can confuse SD cards.
You are right, sorry Extrems I didnt noticed you already answered. So if Serial Port functionally is the same as other serial ports, is actually faster than the Memory slots, isn it?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:04 pm

Uh, no, I just said they're the same.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:48 am

I meant that it was more feasible in that SD doesn't require logic to sit in between it and the GameCube since the EXI bus is very similar to the SPI bus that SD cards can be used across.