Hi, about Serial port 2 USB for Swiss, any chance?

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Papy.G

Re: Hi, about Serial port 2 USB for Swiss, any chance?

Post by Papy.G » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:19 pm

My bad, I edited so no one will quote such a wrong statement.
SWISS is improving so rapidly we sometimes can't cope with that and lag somehow. :oops:
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
driverdis

Post by driverdis » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:10 pm

Any chance IPLBoot will be updated for SP2 support? I ordered an adapter and it hit me when I got it that IPLBoot is what I direct boot with and sure enough it does not work.

I know it is not being maintained anymore but until now IPLBoot had no limitations other than needing a slot2 card to boot from. Now SP2 can free up that port and everyone on IPLBoot either has to boot Swiss from SlotB then launch games on SP2 or just boot Swiss via DVD-R and XenoGC and skip IPLBoot.

I have a Viper non Extreme so I am stuck with IPLBoot for the foreseeable future.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:29 pm

Those using GameSave Exploits are stuck with quite the same limitations, as the DoLaunchers don't boot straight off the SP2, so we have to either boot with an SD card in the SD gecko too, or boot SWISS directly from the Memcard (150blocks), or boot GBI from the memcard, then boot SWISS off the SP2. :?

Unless you are skilled enough modify the bootstrap by yourself, you'll have to wait for someone to do it for you. :P
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
badsector

Post by badsector » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:54 pm

Support for SP2 seems to have been added to iplboot. Is somebody willing to build that for us?
https://github.com/redolution/iplboot/c ... 124c9a2e71
PlatypusWithCheese

Post by PlatypusWithCheese » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:59 pm

badsector wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:54 pm
Support for SP2 seems to have been added to iplboot. Is somebody willing to build that for us?
https://github.com/redolution/iplboot/c ... 124c9a2e71
nobody will get out of bed in the middle of the night to do that just because someone asked about it.

EDIT: the version that was attached to this post was broken so i removed it.
Last edited by PlatypusWithCheese on Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indigo DOL-001(EUR)/GBP/BBA/RGB/SD2SP2/GCLoader
badsector

Post by badsector » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:15 pm

Thanks mate! And no worries, I didn't expect anything. But I really appreciate that you not only added the code but also built it for us (the people that cannot build it for themselves easily) :3
I think my adapters will be delivered tomorrow. I will test it right away with my Qoob Cube and give feedback.
PlatypusWithCheese

Post by PlatypusWithCheese » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:49 pm

Adding the code was a copy and paste job but setting up the build enviroment took 3 days.
badsector

Post by badsector » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:22 pm

Unfortunately it did not work for me. Could neither boot from SP2 nor from Slot B. Always getting this:

I also recognized that the BIOS is 192kB instead of 128kB.
PlatypusWithCheese

Post by PlatypusWithCheese » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:05 pm

badsector wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:22 pm
Unfortunately it did not work for me. Could neither boot from SP2 nor from Slot B. Always getting this:

I also recognized that the BIOS is 192kB instead of 128kB.
the size is a problem caused by newer version of devkitppc i use.
does the same sdcard boot ipl.dol with the non sd2 version? bootorder is B,A,SP2
it should just dump you to to the normal ipl if it can't find any things to boot from.
i have attached the stripped down(usb booting and print statements removed) version i personally use to see if that fixes things for you.(i have only tested the .gcb file so its the one i incloude)
Last edited by PlatypusWithCheese on Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badsector

Post by badsector » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:34 pm

When I took out the SD cards from MC port B and SP2 the standard IPL loaded, so it seems the SD card was detected but then something else did not work correctly when loading the ipl.dol.
I reflashed the old iplboot (5.2) and cold boot with my SD card again, so the SD seems okay.

Anyway, just tried with your fast test build and it worked! Great work, man! If you need me for testing more (Qoob only, sorry), I am glad to be of help.
BimboBoop

Post by BimboBoop » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:25 am

Sorry guys, I didnt knew about IPLboot, so this version can boot SWISS using just the new SDSP2 board? SO you should be able to boot Swiss whitout and DVD-R right? Anyone should show us how to use it with videotutorial for noobs please?
dilav

Post by dilav » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:07 am

BimboBoop wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:25 am
Sorry guys, I didnt knew about IPLboot, so this version can boot SWISS using just the new SDSP2 board?
No, you need IPL modchip like Qoob, Viper, Hyperboot (If it gets updated for SP2)
BimboBoop

Post by BimboBoop » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:25 pm

dilav wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:07 am
BimboBoop wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:25 am
Sorry guys, I didnt knew about IPLboot, so this version can boot SWISS using just the new SDSP2 board?
No, you need IPL modchip like Qoob, Viper, Hyperboot (If it gets updated for SP2)
As far I remember, my Gamecube has the Modchip XENO, I suposse it doesnt work whit it?
badsector

Post by badsector » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:39 pm

No, XenoGC only patches the drive. You are out of luck with this chip.
PlatypusWithCheese

Post by PlatypusWithCheese » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:30 pm

The code and probably the .dol could probably be used on a boot disc with xeno chip to boot from SDcard so that one does not have to burn new discs every time there is updates. But i don't know, i have not tested nor do i have a machine with xeno chip installed to test with.
BimboBoop

Post by BimboBoop » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:39 pm

PlatypusWithCheese wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:30 pm
The code and probably the .dol could probably be used on a boot disc with xeno chip to boot from SDcard so that one does not have to burn new discs every time there is updates. But i don't know, i have not tested nor do i have a machine with xeno chip installed to test with.
Is a shame at my country the only available modchip is the Xeno one. It seems is the more available around the world. I hope someday someone found a way with it, as you stated. Maybe I should try to buy a Viper one? or wich should worth the effort and have a good price?
Last edited by BimboBoop on Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:52 pm

PlatypusWithCheese wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:30 pm
This already exists. Look at GBI's Memory Card Boot Disc.
Swiss can also chainload a newer version on the SD Card.
Fgo181

Post by Fgo181 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:32 pm

nobody will get out of bed in the middle of the night to do that just because someone asked about it.
Thank you for the new iplboot.
Unfortunatly I get the same green stripes like badsector.

Would be really cool if you continue with your work.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:43 am

Extrems wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:52 pm
This already exists. Look at GBI's Memory Card Boot Disc.
Swiss can also chainload a newer version on the SD Card.
Excellent! I wasn't aware of that update of the GBI extras, and such a nice addition!
While I can't boot burned discs, if the forwarding Dol is small enough to take place on a Memcard (after GCI conversion and maybe Dolz compression), it can be an upgrade over the "brosexec" ones.

Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:29 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:43 am
Excellent! I wasn't aware of that update of the GBI extras, and such a nice addition!
It's pretty old.
Papy.G wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:43 am
While I can't boot burned discs, if the forwarding Dol is small enough to take place on a Memcard (after GCI conversion and maybe Dolz compression), it can be an upgrade over the "brosexec" ones.
Well, it's literally Home Bros.'s payload, and is already compressed with LZMA2.
ledu205

Post by ledu205 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:06 am

someone would compile for the viper chip ? I try but I have a hard time
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:19 pm

Extrems wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:29 pm
It's pretty old.

Well, it's literally Home Bros.'s payload, and is already compressed with LZMA2.
Sure, but since I don't extensively use the extras and they are not updated as often as GBI, I download then only from time to time.

Too bad I thought I would be able to extract the Dol off the GCM in SWISS with file management enabled to convert it to GCI and put back on a memcard…
Would be cool to get the naked Dol, or GCI converted in the extras too.

I took a look into the brosexec code and while I don't understand anything in the code itself, something bugged me in its structure, since it doesn't seem to be written to be compiled the most compact way. I don't seem to see a loop testing available SD first (with increments on the Exi device adress), then a routine to load off the first EXI adress where an SD device answered. Maybe I am misunderstanding what I see in the main source, or the compiler optimises when you code in developped manner. :oops:

BimboBoop

Post by BimboBoop » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:59 pm

Guys, looking for a SD2SP2 at ebay i founded they are available in 2 brands, on red and green boards. Are both the same at quality or anyone knows if one of them is better?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:52 pm

Since the files are public there's no way they would have bothered making new ones, just hope they didn't choose older ones that could've been done wrong.
The green ones seem to be the exact schematics from citrus3000psi, you can usually even read the version number in the pictures. (seen on Alix too)

BimboBoop

Post by BimboBoop » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:37 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:52 pm
Since the files are public there's no way they would have bothered making new ones, just hope they didn't choose older ones that could've been done wrong.
The green ones seem to be the exact schematics from citrus3000psi, you can usually even read the version number in the pictures. (seen on Alix too)
Thats good info, thanks man. I also bought already a microsd extension, so I will post pictures with the results ASAP it arrived.

Man did you recommend the Hyperboot chip? I am thinking on buying it and replace my old chip Xeno. I would like Swiss booting with the SD2SP2 whitout the need of any discs.