Flashcarts issues with some Gameboy Player units

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Papy.G

Flashcarts issues with some Gameboy Player units

Post by Papy.G » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:38 am

Hi all, I've been bugged by an issue with my Supercard SD and GameBoy Player, and first thought it was because of GBI, further testing showed that it isn't software related, I have to create a new thread to stop plaguing the original one where I first talked about it.
Papy.G wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:46 am
Papy.G wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:46 am
ochentay4 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:38 pm
Is GBI compatible with "SuperCard Mini"?
Little late, but confirmed working, sometimes need to press reset for quite long.
There are issues with sound and garbled graphics, I don't know what's wrong, but I can't play four swords correctly with my SC Mini on either of my GBPs, if I run GBI to run it.

Tested Working with the same "exact" rom (The SC Mini Rom needs to be altered in some way to work with it, but it was first dumped off my own cart):
SC Mini / DS (NTR)
SC Mini / GBA (AGB)
SC Mini / GBP (DOL-017) / GBP boot disc ISO SD gecko SlotB
Original cart / GBP (DOL-017) / GBI SD gecko SlotB

Tested not working:
SC Mini / GBP (DOL-017) / GBI SD gecko SlotB

I had experienced mixed kind of weird things before, with other games, but hadn't the time to investigate more.

Edit: Tested further with the HF and SR versions, both cause glitches too. Maybe the SR a little less, as I managed to play for more than one hour, but it is far from ideal.
Back with more testing, today, to try my 2GC on 1 TV setup, I had to run ALTTP/FS, but have only one legit Cart, I wasn't able to use the SuperCard Mini on my indigo Dol-001 with indigo GBP r1 so I had to put it in the black set where I managed to get it to work as intended (same Dol-001/GBP r1 couple).
It's getting really weird!

Further testing shows that maybe the issue with ALTTP/FS was mainly because I messed across US and EUR roms and saves, and can be unrelated.
Still, I have done a cross-testing with three GCs and three GBPlayers that shows that my 2003 indigo GBPlayer prevents the SC menu to show the SD card content.

I have found someone on GC temp that had the same kind of issue with a EZFΩ, working everywhere else (DS, GBA…) but stuck on a firmware error in the GBPlayer.

It doesn't seem to be revisoin related, as my black working one is the 2003 one, and the silver working one is the previous, 2002 version, unless there are more internal revisions than meets the eye.
Inside seems legit, high quality components, nice solder joints, most chips dated 0321.
The casing color is quite off, faded, compared to the GC unit's, but old ABS don't usually age well.
The only thing that differs from the two others I have, is the eject button, that isn't so smooth when ejecting. And when resting, it prongs out a little from the casing, and can catch if you pass a finger along the side's bottom.

Back from Holidays I may compare Bios roms, and motherboards, to see what can be wrong with it.

And If you too have GBPlayer and one of those flash carts, don't hesitate to test and tell.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Papy.G

Re: Flashcarts issues with some Gameboy Player units

Post by Papy.G » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:59 pm

Back from holidays, comparing the three Bios ROMs gave the exact same SHA checksum, so it is not BIOS related.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)