GCHD Mk2 - upgrading firmware

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
b0ggl3

GCHD Mk2 - upgrading firmware

Post by b0ggl3 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:47 pm

Hi everyone

I wasn't sure if this was the right forum for this question, apologies if it isn't.

I have previously updated the firmware on my GCDual internal mod using an SPI flasher and this afternoon decided to get my GCHD mk2 updated too. When I opened up the GCHD mk2 I see the board flashing points aren't labelled (on either side of the board). Is anyone able to point me to a suitable resource that will show me which pins to connect to the specific headers on the SPI flasher please?

Thanks for any help or advice
dilav

Re: GCHD Mk2 - upgrading firmware

Post by dilav » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:36 am

Bridge JP1 to disable.
J2 header is SPI.
In the following order (Parentheses = Silk Screen):
(J2) MOSI CLK MISO CS 3V3 GND (CON2)
lufeig

Post by lufeig » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:53 am

i updated my eon ghcd mkii thanks to @dilav and @citrus3000psi. thank you very much!

i made this picture based on the pinout provided by @dilav. i soldered a 6 pin bar to the mkii board because i only had female-female wires. for the firmware update you have to bridge jp1 using a tiny drop of solder.
_IMG_20200811_171402.jpg
(1.07 MiB) Not downloaded yet
connect it to the ch341a programmer by connecting their corresponding pins.
IMG_20200811_191358.jpg
(227.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
configure ch341 programmer according to the picture below
configuracao ch341a.png
(42.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet
make a firmware backup file by clicking the read button, then save it in a safe place. if anything goes wrong, ever, you can restore it using this file.

download the latest firmware from dans repository at http://dansprojects.com/firmware/GCHD_MK2/

extract it, load its .bin file on the CH341A Programmer, click the auto button.

if the new firmware is flashed successfully, unbridge jp1 and enjoy your updated adapter. future updates can be made using the .dol method.
BigSplodge

Post by BigSplodge » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:15 pm

Hi, I just followed your really helpful guide here to try and update my GCHD-MKii, but unfortunately, it seems to have resulted in a blank chip that I can’t flash with any new .bin from Dan’s repository.

Both “CH341A Programmer” and “AsProgrammer” read the chip as blank (all “F”) once I had it connected and both fail when trying to flash any new firmware. AsProgrammer suggests that write protection is still enabled, despite J1 being bridged.

I’ve triple check my connections vs the diagram here and also triple checked that J1 is properly bridged.

Just wondered if anyone here had any other ideas that might save me from a very expensive paper weight?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!
welshwuff

Post by welshwuff » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:11 pm

I too attempted this but could not get it to detect or read the chip at all. I didn't dare write anything until i was able to make a backup first which i just couldn't seem to do. I soldered pins to the GCHD just like the example pictures and checked it was wired up correctly multiple times. After a couple hours later i've decided to shelf the firmware update for now and after (eventually) un-bridging JP1 the devices operates just as it should with it's stock firmware. I'm not at all sure why it won't update, and cannot use the .DOL method as well, the stock firmware it comes with doesn't support it yet, hence the desire to update. I hope this topic stays active, i'd really like to see how others got the update to work as the documentation above just didnt work out for me nor the post before mine.
dilav

Post by dilav » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:38 am

Make sure the driver is installed and try different versions of the software. I have heard some software doesn't seem to work as well for some. Also note to use the pin header on the CH341A programmer, as some of the software will have the chip orientation flipped on the socket due to (probably different hardware).
Brendan McCoy

Post by Brendan McCoy » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:14 pm

Anyone care to share what software they used? I'm having the same result after what the software presented as a successful flash, now it just appears as blank.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWWigscuQDY

I used the software linked to in this video (seems more like the one the post here is using. Extract it, make a languages folder, and drop the "english" config file into there to get english).

I just had to redo my solder pad bridge, and then it consistently gave me good matches with the new firmware. Be sure to unbridge after you get the verified good program, i got no output 'till I did that (i wanted to make sure it was okay before unbridging, I'm bad at soldering and so I always rip pads, I try to minimize how often I do it ;) ).
UN047

Post by UN047 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:30 pm

Hello, I'm in need of help: I updated my EON GCHD mk2 v3.0e with the 3.1 version via the boot.dol method, only problem is I made the mistake of not using the specific firmware but the one on the gcvideo github. Now the GCHD doesn't show any signal and the flashing tool no longer works (the one that loads when pressing the ir button while turning on the console).

If I press the ir button while turning on the console I can see the SPDIF out is still on, so I know it's not working.

I reflashed the SPI flash with a CH341A programmer. I had no luck with the pins on the pcb (chip not recognized), so I desoldered it, erased it and reflashed it, this time with v3.1 GCHD version. I had no luck, still no signal and still no updater tool (I also tried GCHD v3.0e).

Any suggestions?