SD2SP2 and using an external HDD

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Skullsies

SD2SP2 and using an external HDD

Post by Skullsies » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:49 pm

I was thinking how it would be possible to take a male micro SD card riser and modify it to take a USB connection in order to connect an external hard drive. Has anyone ever thought of this?

Basically it would be something like this: External USB HDD > USB Female to Micro SD Male adapter > SD2SP2 > Serial Port 2/Gamecube.
Papy.G

Re: SD2SP2 and using an external HDD

Post by Papy.G » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:15 am

Maybe the chinese have some SD-USB key, or SD-SATA adapters laying around, but it would be quite an overkill due to SD size and price nowadays.

I have seen some IDE-EXI on Alix, but can't manage to find them anymore, look at those sellers that sell the 3D printed GC-Plug and other open-source console related hardware. ;)
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
webhdx

Post by webhdx » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:42 pm

Not worth even trying... Anything connected to EXI bus will be slow. Better save money and buy GCLoader :) I still hope someone is already working on an open source version of drive emulator.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:54 pm

I don't agree, playing from an SD card on EXI Bus has come a long way, and has quite decent speed compared to original optical discs, while you're right, the physical interfaces and software involved in changing EXI to anything else may kill it at some point, forget about a mechnaical hard disk caveats.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)