How to fix the problem of the OPEN button?

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
coma3

How to fix the problem of the OPEN button?

Post by coma3 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:21 pm

I bought a GameCube second hand, but I have a problem.

When I press the open button, it stays sunk and hard to return, leaving the lid open.

Also, the lid opens very slowly and is not smooth.

I think the buttons and lids need to be disassembled and cleaned, can that fix it?
Or is there any other way?

I watched some videos on Youtube about disassembling and cleaning.
The tools and detergents used by each person are slightly different, but how do you clean them?

Thank you.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: How to fix the problem of the OPEN button?

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:04 am

coma3 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:21 pm
I think the buttons and lids need to be disassembled and cleaned, can that fix it?
Or is there any other way?
Yes, disassemble it and give each of the buttons a good clean once they've been popped out from the shell. Sometimes I also give the buttons a small sanding with super fine (600 grit) paper on the parts that are in contact with the case to allow them to move more freely.
coma3

Post by coma3 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:21 am

emu_kidid wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:04 am
Yes, disassemble it and give each of the buttons a good clean once they've been popped out from the shell. Sometimes I also give the buttons a small sanding with super fine (600 grit) paper on the parts that are in contact with the case to allow them to move more freely.
Thank you.
I would like to consider purchasing sandpaper.
Lamprey

Post by Lamprey » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:51 pm

There shouldn't be a need to sand the open button unless it has been seriously abused. A cleaning with just about anything will work.

I had some problems with my open button when I bought a used one. If you look at it you will see a screw that holds it in place. If that is tightened too much it can cause the mechanism to stick. I suppose it is also possible that there is an issue with the spring but, hopefully, a small adjustment will get it working again.
coma3

Post by coma3 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:04 am

Lamprey wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:51 pm
There shouldn't be a need to sand the open button unless it has been seriously abused. A cleaning with just about anything will work.

I had some problems with my open button when I bought a used one. If you look at it you will see a screw that holds it in place. If that is tightened too much it can cause the mechanism to stick. I suppose it is also possible that there is an issue with the spring but, hopefully, a small adjustment will get it working again.
Is it important not to overtighten the screws?
I will be careful. :)

I have no experience of disassembling the game console and may fail.
I ordered a security driver but am waiting for it to arrive.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:16 pm

The main problem is the design, just cleaning should get it working for a while, if you don't mind the button not getting back to its flush position. If the surfaces wore too much, maybe a fiberglass and silicone high temperature adhesive tape could do the job if you can make sure the glue won't let it slide too much and kill the trick, or an extra thin layer of ertalon or any sliding-aimed plastic sheet tailor-cut.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
coma3

Post by coma3 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:41 am

Papy.G wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:16 pm
The main problem is the design, just cleaning should get it working for a while, if you don't mind the button not getting back to its flush position. If the surfaces wore too much, maybe a fiberglass and silicone high temperature adhesive tape could do the job if you can make sure the glue won't let it slide too much and kill the trick, or an extra thin layer of ertalon or any sliding-aimed plastic sheet tailor-cut.
Thank you :)