Modded Panasonic Q - how to switch between regions?

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
MirrorCube

Modded Panasonic Q - how to switch between regions?

Post by MirrorCube » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:45 am

Hi All,
I have a Panasonic Q in it’s original box with a sticker from the unknown modder in Hong Kong that says: PAL + USA/Japan.

When I just turn it on, it will boot into the Japanese region.

When I turn it on and hold the power button until the logo appears, it boots into USA mode (USA games work perfectly).

But most of my games are in PAL since I am from Europe. Which things could I try to set it into PAL region? Hope anyone has any suggestions for me to try!

Cheers,
The MirrorCube
Papy.G

Re: Modded Panasonic Q - how to switch between regions?

Post by Papy.G » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:54 pm

I don't have any clue, but I'm curious to know if the PAL mod is only for games, or if you got the PAL-capable DVD player mod as well.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:36 am

The PAL mode modification from these is typically the DVD player only modification which came in the form of adding extra RAM chips + using a factory pressed disc in the DVD player mode to unlock all region playback.

Holding down power to boot to USA vs Japanese in the Panasonic GameCube IPL is achieved by use of a PIC chip that effectively does what the region switch does to USA/JPN GameCube consoles but instead of a physical switch, it sees if you're holding down the power button at boot time.

So to answer your question, to play PAL discs, you'll need something like SDML/Freeloader or a save game exploit to boot Swiss.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:50 am

I suspect it is not only to unlock all region, but also to add PAL software compatibility, since most PAL DVDs are already in Zone2, as Japan is.

Anyways, JAP WindWaker can be had for quite cheap (At least compared to PAL version), so setting up an exploit for it may be the way to go. ;)

Getting one of those Modded Q is among the best picks in the GC's world. 8-)
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)