[Solved] Swiss stopped seeing SD Gecko (overall strange behaviour)

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
friendofmegaman

[Solved] Swiss stopped seeing SD Gecko (overall strange behaviour)

Post by friendofmegaman » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:38 am

Hi folks,

I've bought this SD card adapter and put a 2GB Transcend SD card into it (formatted as FAT16) and it seemed to work fine, i.e. Swiss could see it and browse its contents. One peculiarity was that it only worked in Slot A, Swiss couldn't see it in Slot B at all (both slots of my cube are working fine, they can read GC memory cards).

Next day it stopped seeing the SD card it altogether. The card works (my computer can read from and write to it), I dismantled the adapter and did continuity checks -- everything seemed to be in accordance with the diagram on gc-forever wiki.

I tried listing all devices (using Z key in the B-menu in Swiss) and changing the speed, didn't work.

The SD card slot in the adapter looks physically fine, the contacts appear to be good.

Tried a different SD card -- nothing.

Has anyone been in this situation before?

Cheers!
Last edited by friendofmegaman on Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
friendofmegaman

Re: Swiss stopped seeing SD Gecko (overall strange behaviour)

Post by friendofmegaman » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:17 am

Ok, after some time banging my head against the wall I found out what was the issue. Comparing to an OEM memory card, that adapter's board position was a fraction of millimeter lower -- not sure if it is due to the adapter's PCB being thinner or the plastic housing being a factor. I opened up the adapter and glued a strip of frogger tape under the PCB, thus giving the PCB's "elevation" an extra fraction of a millimeter. And this seems to solve my issue and now Swiss sees the card on both A and B slots.