Strange Vertical lines with the Gamecube hdmi

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
O_and_N

Strange Vertical lines with the Gamecube hdmi

Post by O_and_N » Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:38 am

Hello there. Hopefully someone knows what is going on here.
Just purchased a Kaico hdmi for the gamecube (the original model with digital output). Im using a pal gamecube but I noticed thin vertical lines in games that are always in the distance. For example in zelda windwaker (pal 480i) i see them in the blue sky. Almost look like a filter but is not. To be sure i loaded with a old freeloader a NTSC copy of RE4 with progressive scan on and i can see the same vertical thin lines in the sky. Its not horrible but i dont see why they should be there. They seem distance based. For example in RE4 when I start the game and walk to the broken bridge back where the police car falls, the lines disappear, but when i turn to look at the house in the distance where we see the first enemy, the lines appear.

(will try to upload a image later)

I tried settings on the tv but that does not help. Tried a different hdmi cable and even a mclassic but is still the same. I purchased a sd card and currently waiting for a action replay to arrive in order to check if forcing 480p with swiss does something. In re4 with the freeloader it did say 480p (but in the output settings of the Kaico hdmi it said something like 640x444p i think ?)

Any idea why I am getting these vertical lines in the distance ?

The firmware of gcvideo on the kaico is 3.1.
Papy.G

Re: Strange Vertical lines with the Gamecube hdmi

Post by Papy.G » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:22 am

Do you mean lines like on the bridge in Twilight Princess's intro? Nothing we can do about it. Or at least I still wonder how.

It can also be caused by alpha blending and/or picture stretching, try alpha blending disable and vertical resolution auto or 1:1.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)