Any decent knock off component cables?

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
sakax

Any decent knock off component cables?

Post by sakax » Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:18 am

Are there any decent knock off component cables for gamecube not costing an arm and a leg? I am not looking for perfect quality, just an upgrade from composite quality. Thanks!
DOL-001-PAL - GCVideo3.1 - powered by shinehax & swiss
Papy.G

Re: Any decent knock off component cables?

Post by Papy.G » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:53 am

Short answer: No

The cheap way to upgrade quality is using the internal video generator, so you may use mini-DIN or Japanese Scart-21 (if it exists) S-Video cable on NTSC units, and RGB SCART (PERITEL) on PAL units. This is if you use consumer-grade CRT or low-def. LCD panel.

If you're using bigger LCD, ED or HD TV, Go for an HDMI adapter, why go for an analog cable when source and destination are both digital?

If you're using professionnal grade BVM/PVM or EDTV CRT, then you're stuck with first party and knock-off expensive solutions. Maybe you can go for a GCVIDEO HDMI solution, then an HDMI-Component cable, doesn't M-cables make such cable? HDMI to VGA may be more common, so you'll be able to use a standard PC CRT.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
sakax

Post by sakax » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:08 am

Papy.G wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:53 am
If you're using bigger LCD, ED or HD TV, Go for an HDMI adapter, why go for an analog cable when source and destination are both digital?
Thanks Papy.G - we are both from Europe - do you have a decent HDMI adapter I can buy over here which wouldn't require me selling a kidney? :D I got one from Amazon last year and trashed it after testing it, was worse than the default composite cable output

Retro-Bit Retro Prism Component Cable for Gamecube:
https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Retro- ... B09RQ8NDZH

is this cable worth the money? procured this month 2 super mario sunshines for the savegame exploit and my wallet is hurting :D my boy will have to eat a bit less until end of the month :D retro gaming is becoming so expensive... uff
sakax

Post by sakax » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:50 pm

dear Extrems, do you care to elaborate with a tl:dr ? :) not that I do not want to read, but it is above my pay grade from a technical point of view :D I know you are a man of few words, but great achievements, a tl:dr will be highly appreciated! :mrgreen: also any viable solution to have decent and moderate priced component solution is welcome.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:37 pm

sakax wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:08 am
Thanks Papy.G - we are both from Europe - do you have a decent HDMI adapter I can buy over here which wouldn't require me selling a kidney? :D I got one from Amazon last year and trashed it after testing it, was worse than the default composite cable output.
Well, you probably stumbled upon an analog to digital converter, that didn't allow you to enable Progressive video modes (you usually identify them as they have the SNES/N64/GC connector and compatibility). :roll:
In this case, a proper GC RGB cable then RGB-HDMI converter would have been a better choice, while still not as good as a GCVideo device.
Retro-Bit Retro Prism Component Cable for Gamecube:
https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Retro- ... B09RQ8NDZH
is this cable worth the money? procured this month 2 super mario sunshines for the savegame exploit and my wallet is hurting :D my boy will have to eat a bit less until end of the month :D retro gaming is becoming so expensive... uff
That thing, for example. I heard bad comments on Bitfunx gear, too bad, as they have the same on AliX for around 40 bucks.
Once more, if you have both component and HDMI on your display, go for digital, It's the same price (~40).
For component, maybe Insurrection industries GCVideo Component cable get a little more attention when it comes to building quality. It's you to decide how cheap you wanna go, or how bad you want quality.
My son broke my SMS disc, so he may have deserved two weeks of potatoes. :mrgreen:
Still, it hurts my back to fork out 40 bucks for something in an average condition when I bought my player's choice 20 brand new back in the days.

Oh, forgot to mention the excellent alternative of the RVL-001 Wii with native component out if you don't specially need SD2SP2 and GBPlayer compatibility, not sure if it still is a cheap alternative..
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)