Questions about building a Shuriken V3 GCVideo board

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Marmotta

Questions about building a Shuriken V3 GCVideo board

Post by Marmotta » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:49 pm

I know there are probably not too many people asking questions about building boards these days, since there are so many options already available to just buy, but since I had a few XC3S200A FPGAs around, I wanted to give it a go at making my own internal one for my Panasonic Q. I seemed to be able to program the SPI flash chip using gcvideo-3.1-shuriken-v3-gc just fine, but unfortunately I don't get any signal when turning on the Gamecube I'm testing it out with.

I'm reasonably/very confident that there are no issues with my soldering, so if anyone in the know could give my schematic a quick look and see a fatal flaw, that'd be great. I'm going to be double checking the connections to see if I have anything connected to the wrong pins on the Digital AV connector, but I don't think I do.

The main things I'm looking at are the voltage regulators I've used in my design, the 1.2V one outputs 300mA and the 5V one outputs 750mA, which as far as I can tell, should be fine for use with the XC3S200A, but the current is also far less than the regulators used on many other people's designs. I'm also not sure about the capacitor placement on the 1.2V regulator, particularly since Happy_Bunny notes for the shuriken mention that the 3.3V supply rail needs to raise before the 1.2V rail. I think I took that layout from Citrus300psi's GCVideo Dual schematic, but don't know if it is suitable here.

The other thing I'm not sure on is whether the W25X40CLSNIG SPI flash chip is compatible - as far as I could tell it matches the original flash in terms of specification and seems to program fine, but I don't know if it interacts with the FPGA as it should.