Quick queston about power switch

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Paul.str

Quick queston about power switch

Post by Paul.str » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:41 am

On a DOL-001 cube, there is a red and black wire that comes off the regulator board beneath the mainboard and plugs into the power switch board.

If I get rid of the power switch and bridge the red and black wires with, say, a paperclip, will the cube power on?
It looks like it should, but I can't quite tell how the stock switch works. (Why are there 4 solder points beneath it?)

Do I have to keep the points in contact to keep the cube on?(This one seems obvious, but I feel it is prudent to check.)

I can't think of anything else.

Thanks.
megalomaniac

Re: Quick queston about power switch

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:44 am

you can jump the input power to switched power but the GC will always be ON...
the only way to power off would be to unplug the power...
if you cant find an original power switch, you can always install another switch mechanism...
Attachments
PWR-Switch.jpg
(2.04 MiB) Not downloaded yet
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Paul.str

Post by Paul.str » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:35 pm

Thanks for the image! That helps.

One more question, though.
I have to original power mechanism. If I solder a new switch to ONLY the "switch power" and "input power"pads (2 solder points total) between the large ground points, will the rest of the board(fan and regulator board) function like normal?

My new switch is not grounded. Will that be a problem?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:29 pm

1. If you solder a typical on/off switch to the two main pads, yes it will work as normal

2. The original switch is soldered to GND...but I imagine it's more for reinforcement and stability of the switch and less of an electrical safety issue. So, an ungrounded switch should be perfectly acceptable as long as all contact points are protected.
(i.e. black tape)
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image