Who's getting one?

All things Wii-U can be discussed in here!

When are you getting your Wii-U?

Launch day (or I already got one on US launch)
22%
I really want one but I'll have to wait a while
32%
I'll wait for homebrew first
17%
Not really interested in Wii-U - GameCube is still numero uno
29%
Hate Nintendo - Never buying another console again
No votes

Total votes: 41
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Who's getting one?

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:07 pm

Really glad the release here will be on a Friday - 30th of November, who is getting one on release date or has already?
andzlay

Re: Who's getting one?

Post by andzlay » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:18 pm

I'll wait until it's cheaper and/or Homebrew is possible. Do you know if there is a media center included?
I'm using WiiMC way more than I play games with my Wii :D
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:27 pm

I don't believe there's a media center included - I'll get one on release date but I'll mostly just use it for playing games for a long time until homebrew comes along.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:36 pm

....didn't realize it was already release day here
Hmmm, I don't even feel that "rush" to get one either, or that feeling like I'm missing out..
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:38 pm

funny, it's not release date here and I can't wait to get it :P
kel01

Post by kel01 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:35 pm

I was really tempted but now I think that I will wait until the price comes down a bit or pick up a preowned one sometime next year.

Call me a tight git but I just can't justify spending that much on a console that will still be in the shops for years to come at a lower price. Besides I still have a few Gamecube and Wii games that I never got around to playing or would like to play through a second time.
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:51 pm

it's weird. it's so close to a release or is already released and you don't hear anything about it...dunno.
i never liked the wii (i've tried several times, i had 3 over the years) so i'm not going to buy one
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
Jexion

Post by Jexion » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:58 pm

Yup!
i have my preorder paid for, and i'll be picking it up on the midnight launch along with scribblenauts (i have the other launch titles on xbox or ps3, and the other exclusive titles like zombie-u dont interest me)

suffice to say, i CANT wait for 2013 (rumours are that zelda-u will be released in Q2 :D )
andzlay

Post by andzlay » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:04 am

liquitt wrote:it's weird. it's so close to a release or is already released and you don't hear anything about it...dunno.
i never liked the wii (i've tried several times, i had 3 over the years) so i'm not going to buy one
Well I read on some German Pages (e.g. Golem.de) about the console and the New Super Mario Bros. U...
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:11 am

true that, same website here, too.
BUT when i look back at the wii or gc or other console's launch it was always waaaaaay bigger set up in the media.
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:50 am

This will be the first time I'm getting a launch console
Interested in Pikmin 3 and New Mario Bros WiiU
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:53 am

I'm glad there isn't an insane amount on release, just enough to keep me busy these days - New Super Mario bros U + Nintendo Land should be plenty until the new year.
HomelandReloaded

Post by HomelandReloaded » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:45 am

megalomaniac wrote:....didn't realize it was already release day here
Hmmm, I don't even feel that "rush" to get one either, or that feeling like I'm missing out..
Me neither: funny cause I decided months ago that I want one, but it seems like it doesn't matter when I get it. Haven't noticed any buzz yet in Europe.
How come come Japanese are getting it last? (Wikipedia says 8 Dec).
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:39 pm

I never buy game consoles at launch. I don't have much disposable income, always have stuff left to play on game consoles that I already own, and if I pick one up later it's cheaper. Lately it doesn't pay to be an early adopter, either, as there are often technical issues that get ironed out later.

It also doesn't help that there is never a game I have to have. I'll get a WiiU when Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is out as I love the first one.
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:01 am

on a whim I decided to see if the Wii U would upscale my original wii games, I found this:
http://au.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/Frequentl ... _Questions

I hope IGN is wrong on this one, and I think it's pathetic if it's true; if the dolphin emulator can do 1080p I honestly do not think Nintendo has a excuse.

I mean honestly, we constantly have it drilled into us not to pirate but using the pirated alternative will get you a better experience.
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:07 pm

^
It was already confirmed by Nintendo that wii software would remain untouched many months ago.

If you know one thing about Nintendo - they like to sell the same game over and over.

So rather than have a upscale feature that makes no coin I fully expect HD remakes of certain GC and wii titles through the eshop and personally I do not begrudge them that sales avenue.

Course maybe upscaling will be added with HomeBrew :)

You do not have to use pirate images with Dolphin - thats your choice.

Besides Dolphin does not upscale. The game resolution is redrawn at base.
Playing - Super Mario Sunshine - DariusBurst CS - Hotline Miami 2 - Rpi2 Lakka - X360 BurnOut Paradise City
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:54 pm

Keep in mind that a launch WiiU could have a security flaw that will be fixed in later revisions just like early Wiis with their boot1 trucha bug (which made bootmii boot2 possible).
Jexion

Post by Jexion » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:40 am

Cubelover wrote:Keep in mind that a launch WiiU could have a security flaw that will be fixed in later revisions just like early Wiis with their boot1 trucha bug (which made bootmii boot2 possible).
hahahaa... thats the first thing that went through my mind when i preordered one :twisted:
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:49 am

@wii_HD: I want to go on record to say I never pirate my games. I use a USB loader on my wii for the faster load sppeds and because I don't have to get up to change games but I own disc copies of all the games I have backups of.

My point was more so that I imagine if you give a user more reason to use a version of your machine that makes pirating easier you shouldn't be surprised when they do. The whole Valve thing of instead of worrying about stopping pirates from copying your games, finding ways to make the legit copy a better experience.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:12 pm

Diminuendo wrote:on a whim I decided to see if the Wii U would upscale my original wii games, I found this:
http://au.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/Frequentl ... _Questions

I hope IGN is wrong on this one, and I think it's pathetic if it's true; if the dolphin emulator can do 1080p I honestly do not think Nintendo has a excuse.

I mean honestly, we constantly have it drilled into us not to pirate but using the pirated alternative will get you a better experience.
HD is overrated. I for one prefer to have the original experience as is expected with backwards compatibility.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:42 am

16 hours to go until I have mine :D
manicblood

Post by manicblood » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:12 pm

Again I think I'll be one of those to wait it out, the Wii and even my Gamecube still has quite a few games left to do or go back to... Zelda, Starfox, Paper Mario need I go on.

Yet theres one thing I don't get about the Wii U, why would you want to buy a console and a portable together. Over next yr see if game library gets better or if I can't wait get a PS3 they're only $120 atm cRAzy
pr0ton

Post by pr0ton » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:29 pm

BenoitRen wrote:HD is overrated. I for one prefer to have the original experience as is expected with backwards compatibility.
You are still using a CRT I hope :shock:. Otherwise a crap argument, you can always step down if you want the rubbish 'original' experience...

Call me a videophile, but all the people connecting the Wii to their big flat HD screen with the yellow RCA connector :cry:.
DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL
HomelandReloaded

Post by HomelandReloaded » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:41 am

pr0ton wrote:You are still using a CRT I hope :shock:. Otherwise a crap argument, you can always step down if you want the rubbish 'original' experience...
Rather an extreme response. I prefer the 'original' experience - that's why I play GBC games on GBC. The overpowered hi-res HW is for new games.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:43 pm

pr0ton wrote:You are still using a CRT I hope :shock:.
Of course!
Otherwise a crap argument, you can always step down if you want the rubbish 'original' experience...
Except it's not rubbish.