Who's getting one?

All things Wii-U can be discussed in here!

When are you getting your Wii-U?

Launch day (or I already got one on US launch)
22%
I really want one but I'll have to wait a while
32%
I'll wait for homebrew first
17%
Not really interested in Wii-U - GameCube is still numero uno
29%
Hate Nintendo - Never buying another console again
No votes

Total votes: 41
Diminuendo

Re: Who's getting one?

Post by Diminuendo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:39 pm

I think it depends on the CRT TV itself; if your using a RF cable or composite then it's going to look like crap.

If you have one that takes component though they can be pretty good though, my GF has a old CRT that does and the image on it is softer at the edges, nearly like anti-aliasing and looks quite a bit better with standard def images than my you beaut 1080p TV does with every pixel perfectly square and defined.

I need to invest in an upscaler for my TV, my GFs doesn't need a damn thing.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:02 pm

Your 1080p TV is an LCD one and not a CRT one, correct? There's your problem. With LCD TVs, every pixel is fixed. As such, it only has one video resolution, and everything else has to be scaled to it. The quality of the scaled image varies widely depending on the upscaler used by your TV.

CRT TVs don't have this problem. They can handle multiple resolutions because pixels are created by shooting them at the canvas, so to speak.

RF cables and composite don't necessarily look bad. It depends on the image you're trying to view, the video signal and what you're used to. A Mega Drive with a composite cable looks pretty good on a PAL TV, for example. Another thing to consider is that older games were built with image quality in mind. With blurry signals, dithering looks like a transparency effect.
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:54 am

I already know all of the technical stuff you just layed out, but I can't help but focus of the mention of a 1080p CRT TV...

I didn't know they existed, I don't know why they exist.
pr0ton

Post by pr0ton » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:02 am

Diminuendo wrote:I don't know why they exist.
I don't know why you exist. Higher resolutions CRTs were in the US consumer grade. Of course in Europe there wasn't a single one introduced. We were supposed to be happy with an interlaced SCART image, until the first flat screen was introduced. And the first ones were really bad. At least the way I see it.

This CRT monitor does even higher than 1080p: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=952788. Whatever you throw at it, it does it's job fine. Even can compete with current highend IPS monitors. Colors, black levels, viewing angle, response time. Hard to find an IPS which does it all like the FW900.

BenoitRen, sorry if my reply was extreme, but in my country going CRT means you are in the last percentage using them. Not having a flatscreen which better fits in the house is surely getting attention, not in a postive way :). However, I don't see myself buying such a Chinese disposable screen in the short run. CRTs are going here away for free now, I'll be fine for some time.

And yes, playing in HD or perfect image quality isn't everything. But Wii games in 1080p shining on such a big screen, then you truly see what game developers were capable off.
DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Diminuendo wrote:I didn't know they existed, I don't know why they exist.
Because CRT HDTVs would be able to show everything without mucking with the image?
pr0ton wrote:BenoitRen, sorry if my reply was extreme, but in my country going CRT means you are in the last percentage using them.
That's okay. It's like this everywhere. But I will keep using the best tool for the job whenever possible.

Typed using a 15" CRT monitor.
HomelandReloaded

Post by HomelandReloaded » Sat May 11, 2013 2:50 am

Got one!

First impressions: Nice. Like a Wii with 1080p and a proper controller! (the GameCube, XBox 360, and now the Wii U Pro controllers are my favorites). The GamePad is much more useful than I expected. The spirit of the Dreamcast lives on in this console!
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Sat May 11, 2013 6:41 am

HomelandReloaded wrote:The spirit of the Dreamcast lives on in this console!
:o Hmm and how did that end.
Playing - Super Mario Sunshine - DariusBurst CS - Hotline Miami 2 - Rpi2 Lakka - X360 BurnOut Paradise City
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat May 11, 2013 6:45 am

wii_HD wrote:

lol...i didnt wanna say it
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Sun May 12, 2013 12:17 pm

wii_HD wrote:
It ended up as one of gaming's most cherished consoles that is still getting new games released a decade later.
MockyLock

Post by MockyLock » Sun May 12, 2013 1:54 pm

And early dead...
manic.blood

Post by manic.blood » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:29 am

Dreamcast whoa that was years ago. Ha I still remember when I first saw one in a magazine and asking my Dad for one he said "Nope we don't wanna get that son, it went out of business last week". Pity really but everyone stuck with Ps1 and PS2 back then.

In regard to Wii U I really hope it thrives. Third party's have said they'll only continue support if it sell at christmas, nintendo need to push their advertising at Xmas. Myself, I'll probably get one. At half the p0rice of a PS4 and with 30 serious titles, instead of Mario constantly being shoved down our throats, it seems like a very attrractive offer.