Pikmin 3

All things Wii-U can be discussed in here!
AC_Orange

Pikmin 3

Post by AC_Orange » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:38 pm

So I finally finished this long awaited game and I have to say it has left me a little bit disappointed overall. The graphics are really great and I haven't noticed any major slowdowns, you can now control three characters instead of two, there's new pikmin to find, areas to explore, big bosses to kill, etc.
I have decided to play the game with the Wii U Pro because it was closest to a Gamecube controller. The right analog stick can be used now to freely rotate the camera which allows for better precision than the old press L to move the camera behind you, which is also available in Pikmin 3. However the zoom-out with R button (I think it was R?) is now gone as well as top-down view with Z? Update: I had no idea you could use the C-Stick to rotate the camera in Pikmin 2- awesome! So while I'm grateful Wii U Pro support is there, Nintendo still seems to be pushing the players to use the flat 90% of the time Wii U Pad, which is where some of those views are available as well as the map itself. I wanted a map on the big screen... I ended up just learning the map and using the Wii Pad only at the end of the day to locate pikmin in the wild so they don't get eaten. The new rock pikmin are so cute and fun to watch while they try to break stuff. Levels are beautiful and there's some nice puzzles and even secrets to look out for. Unfortunately the caves which were an integral part of Pikmin 2 are all gone. Why they decided to remove them I don't know but I think that was a big step back and in the end made game a lot shorter. Some of those levels in Pikmin 2 were 30 floors deep, imagine the fun we could've had... Lastly, the game is a lot easier, although I did spend quite a few hours trying to get the last boss without Pikmin dying. The game has so much potential for 2P co-op, maybe one day it will be available in the main story.
Don't get me wrong I do really like this game but it's just not as good as Pikmin 2 :D

What do you think?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Pikmin 3

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:56 pm

I think I need to play it again cause it felt too short, also did all the 2 player mode stuff too.

I played it with the Wii remote + nunchuck and it wasn't too bad, but then again I wasn't comparing the controls to GameCube, just accepted that they would be different and that I'd have to get used to them :)

Now to pick up Kingdom Hearts HD and play Chain of Memories...
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:31 am

The controls work okay and other than making things a lot easier with the lock onto enemy my problem was no map on the TV screen :) Wiimote works pretty good, from memory Pikmin 2 New Play Control was even more accurate with Wiimote than a GC controller, but I stick with what I'm used to, old fashioned controller :D
It was on the short side :(
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:46 pm

I think you should use some paragraphs in your mini review.
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:12 pm

I'd call it an "experience recount/dump" rather than a mini review ;)
CosmoCortney

Post by CosmoCortney » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:50 pm

I agree. Pikmin 3 is good. And amazing graphics. But much less to explore than in the previouse game. And the game is too short. It took me 8 hours to beat it first. The second playthrough took me 4 hours..

But in the end, its a nice game. And you can optian additional stages through the eshop^^
but Pikmin 2 is quite a bit better
Also known as Lawn Meower