NINTENDONT: WiiU loading Game Cube games

All things Wii-U can be discussed in here!
theclaw

Re: NINTENDONT: WiiU loading Game Cube games

Post by theclaw » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:04 am

I suppose. Of course not being a programmer all I'd see is bytes who look alike.

As for things never implemented in other problems, yeah I don't predict much gain in letting people fork Devolution. Sounds better to share general technical knowledge so they'll find their own path.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:13 am

Unfortunately several of the things Devolution does aren't possible for general homebrew programs due to libogc/devkitpro being carbon copies of nintendo's SDK and suffering from the same limitations, e.g. no generic BT device support (keyboards, controllers, headsets...), on demand memory paging, non-blocking file I/O...
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:35 am

Hmm good point, completely different project there. Nintendo's apparent development rules are goofy. No LAN multiplayer comes to mind.
Not to derail the topic.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:51 am

If you're talking about the wii, that's partly a hardware limitation - the wifi hardware doesn't support multicasting like the BBA did. There are still some games that use local traffic only when playing "online" if they can detect the systems having the same remote (internet-side) IP.
SuperrSonic

Post by SuperrSonic » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:36 pm

I see how some titles like the NFS games have improved framerates but how come games like Zatch Bell Mamodo Fury play incredibly choppy? I can't imagine Devolution having auto frameskip code but that's exactly how it feels like.
Nintendont doesn't have this issue and runs the game smoothly.

For example, if I have the camera positioned at a wall the game plays normally but when I point it towards a bunch of objects it gets choppy, most of the character animations get trashed by this and when you get knocked down the character is supposed to flash but in devo you never see the flashing just the char invisible.

Nintendont does have the same issue with Sonic Mega Collection so it's probably unavoidable, since other emulators do run correctly it totally seems like a Sega issue; sorry for bothering you. However I still can't reproduce it in GC mode.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:43 pm

That slowdown is related to the overhead required to run the game inside a virtual machine, which Nintendont doesn't do. Games that are optimized half-decently aren't affected.
47iscool

Post by 47iscool » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:55 pm

tueidj, serioulsy, did you work with with Nintendo or something?

I have never seen any loader/interpreter like Devo, as in near-perfect compatibility and streaming audio. You must know the Wii/GC hardware like the back of your hand.