NINTENDONT: WiiU loading Game Cube games

All things Wii-U can be discussed in here!
alcaina7

NINTENDONT: WiiU loading Game Cube games

Post by alcaina7 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:13 pm

Spanish review of that first alpha release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb8N06ayGWU

It works fine as you see!
manic.blood

Re: NINTENDONT: WiiU loading Game Cube games

Post by manic.blood » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:05 pm

Great don't you think, you should grab the latest version it supports many wired and wireless controllers now. Also works on the Wii and vWii (Wii mode) on Wii U. I've started buying more Gamecube games just to use with this, the modern controllers give these games a new lease of life. The family are going to love the games I've kept back for Christmas
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:34 pm

manic.blood wrote:Great don't you think, you should grab the latest version it supports many wired and wireless controllers now. Also works on the Wii and vWii (Wii mode) on Wii U. I've started buying more Gamecube games just to use with this, the modern controllers give these games a new lease of life. The family are going to love the games I've kept back for Christmas
That's weird. There is only one version of it released (the current alpha that supports Wind Waker only) and it only supports Gamecube and HID supported USB controllers.
manic.blood

Post by manic.blood » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:56 pm

That's my mistake I thought he was refering to the Devolution everyone's been talking a bout
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:35 am

Now make another video showing the true audio instead of replacing with a background track and talking over the top constantly.
inspectah_deck

Post by inspectah_deck » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:07 pm

Why so salty tueidj?
The audio in the Alpha works fine.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:33 pm

Because it's been widely reported that it doesn't work properly at the title screen/opening credits for NTSC, and doesn't work at all for PAL... then again it was an NTSC iso being loaded in the video even though a PAL disc was shown.
47iscool

Post by 47iscool » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:45 am

Tried the Wind Waker alpha demo version and followed the instructions exactly, I get nothing but a black screen as if the Wii turned off. I even tried two different SD card brands. Anyone else having this problem?
piratesephiroth

Post by piratesephiroth » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:35 am

aaaand it's dead
47iscool

Post by 47iscool » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:12 am

piratesephiroth wrote:aaaand it's dead
He said the same thing about DM then picked it back up and started working on it again. Then he stopped at 2.10

It would be nice to use it if it can use the full power of the Wii's CPU like Devo. Only reason I'd have wanted to use it would be for modded games as Devo runs everything I have perfectly except WrestleMania XIX, it freezes upon showing the loading screen.
barcapedro

Post by barcapedro » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:56 pm

Seems like the nintendont guys stole from devolution. I think tueidj was right to put down their project page.
Plastic

Post by Plastic » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:35 pm

He should have contacted them first before flagging it.
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:46 am

What actually happened ?
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:15 am

Here's what happened:
- People in the Nintendont thread on gbafail started suggesting decompiling Devolution since it has near-perfect compatibility
- Crediar hosted and linked a memory dump of an old build of Devolution (illegally - no permission for him to redistribute) and "suggested" the DSP patches could be copied
- a USB capable build of Nintendont with "full DSP compatibility" mysteriously appears with no source code
- Overjoy admits he made it, creates the nintendont-usb google code project, commits source. DSP patches are identical to Devolution's (and can be verified by comparing with the memory dump).
- Code from nintendont-usb gets absorbed into main nintendont project.
- I submit DMCA takedowns for both projects due to stealing my code.

If you want to argue that I should have contacted the respective project leaders first, consider that they never bothered attempting to contact me before stealing my work (also that crediar didn't contact me before abusing the DMCA to try and prevent me from hosting DIOS MIOS... but that's a different story).
I have since reached out to Joostin (who was apparently the owner of the nintendont project at the time, although I'm pretty sure crediar was the owner when I checked) and he conceded that he probably would have reacted the same way had he been in my situation.
Instead of pointing fingers at me and saying I acted inappropriately, why is nobody asking for a public statement from Overjoy about the real origin of the DSP patches?

Oh look, now someone wants to create more drama by linking to this post.
Last edited by tueidj on Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:11 am

I don't follow these developments because I'm not interested in Wii/U. But I guess if they admit to their guilt and remove the patches then it's fine, isn't it ? According to what you say I'd agree with you on submitting DMCA though.
uyjulian

Post by uyjulian » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:28 pm

Streetwalker wrote:I don't follow these developments because I'm not interested in Wii/U. But I guess if they admit to their guilt and remove the patches then it's fine, isn't it ? According to what you say I'd agree with you on submitting DMCA though.
Based on my point of view, I don't think we thought the DSP was stolen, it was there and already done.

I'm not sure about the DMCA takedown; however.
Sizednochi

Post by Sizednochi » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:06 pm

tueidj wrote:Instead of pointing fingers at me and saying I acted inappropriately, why is nobody asking for a public statement from Overjoy about the real origin of the DSP patches?
Because it's easier to point fingers at the evil guy who won't let them play pirated games on his homebrew app.
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:54 am

Not fair that they are targeting you when you've done nothing wrong
47iscool

Post by 47iscool » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:05 am

tueidj wrote:Here's what happened:
- People in the Nintendont thread on gbafail started suggesting decompiling Devolution since it has near-perfect compatibility
- Crediar hosted and linked a memory dump of an old build of Devolution (illegally - no permission for him to redistribute) and "suggested" the DSP patches could be copied
- a USB capable build of Nintendont with "full DSP compatibility" mysteriously appears with no source code
- Overjoy admits he made it, creates the nintendont-usb google code project, commits source. DSP patches are identical to Devolution's (and can be verified by comparing with the memory dump).
- Code from nintendont-usb gets absorbed into main nintendont project.
- I submit DMCA takedowns for both projects due to stealing my code.

If you want to argue that I should have contacted the respective project leaders first, consider that they never bothered attempting to contact me before stealing my work (also that crediar didn't contact me before abusing the DMCA to try and prevent me from hosting DIOS MIOS... but that's a different story).
I have since reached out to Joostin (who was apparently the owner of the nintendont project at the time, although I'm pretty sure crediar was the owner when I checked) and he conceded that he probably would have reacted the same way had he been in my situation.
Instead of pointing fingers at me and saying I acted inappropriately, why is nobody asking for a public statement from Overjoy about the real origin of the DSP patches?

Oh look, now someone wants to create more drama by linking to this post.
So that's why crediar stopped developing it. If you submitted the DMCA takedown why are they still developing it? Are they still using your code in the newer releases?
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:09 am

Afaik, DMCA requires you to take down the code you stole, nothing else.
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:59 am

Nah, crediar had stopped working on the program before the DSP debacle. From what I gather, he lost interest in working on it, though he did contribute Triforce support not long ago. At this point, Devolution has much better compatibility, though with some limitations. It is an interesting situation; because Devolution is closed source, no one can see if it uses any illegal code.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:17 am

You're suggesting it uses code from other projects even though practically everything it does is unique?
47iscool

Post by 47iscool » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:06 pm

tueidj wrote:You're suggesting it uses code from other projects even though practically everything it does is unique?
Are you talking to me or one of the others? I don't know since you didn't quote anyone.

Also, which program are you talking about? Yours or theirs?

If you were talking to me, I'm asking if they were still today using (stealing) Devo's/your code in their loader/interpreter? Also, don't take me the wrong way, I'm not saying you took their code, I'm saying they took your DSP code/patches.

Devolution is an awesome program. Some games like the NFS series now look like they run in real-time instead of the slight lagging they have normally.
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:29 pm

tueidj wrote:You're suggesting it uses code from other projects even though practically everything it does is unique?
Hypothetically saying if it did, it'd be harder to prove without source code.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:05 am

The parts of nintendon't that were copied from Devolution were not source code; they were binary blobs of custom DSP microcode that were obviously identical when comparing both programs in a hex editor. It would have made no difference if nintendont's source code was unavailable, the evidence would still be there.
It's not difficult to prove a closed source program contains copied code, but "hypothetically" what could Devolution copy when nearly everything it does has never been implemented in any other programs?