WiiU Hacked in WiiU Mode? (WiiU Brew)

All things Wii-U can be discussed in here!
jlo138

WiiU Hacked in WiiU Mode? (WiiU Brew)

Post by jlo138 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:07 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TWywnpIEd9o

This video is the 'evidence' of the WiiU being hacked in WiiU Mode. I say that loosely... It has been pointed out that this was using a Dev Kit but it seems as nobody is certain it's real or even fake for that matter. The uploader says he's just a messenger but the description says "tell us it's fake!!!" so I replied to him whether he knows them (do to the word "us") and he says he was told what to write.

What do you think? I'm not familiar with what a WiiU Dev Kit can do.
.timil retcarahc 552 a si erehT .ekam uoy stsop ot dedda eb nac taht txet fo kcolb a si sihT
deku_scrub

Re: WiiU Hacked in WiiU Mode? (WiiU Brew)

Post by deku_scrub » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:53 pm

this may not be for real, but THIS is: https://events.ccc.de/congress/2013/Fah ... /5290.html
__ deku_scrub __ Wii D3-2 | System 4.3 | HC installed using Smash Stack | WODE Jukebox
Xbox 360 Slim 4GB | 320GB Hacked HDD | x360key
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:04 pm

It's fake. A devkit is for (believe it or not) developing new software, so they just used the dev tools to make a channel called wii U brew.
manic.blood

Post by manic.blood » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:40 pm

That was quite an interesting link, thanks deku. I'm not sure whether Wii U homebrew will take off for another year or so.
Not least until the install base increases, besides just enjoy the games for now
When looking at "fail0verflow" s blog, he seemed to reckon that the homebrew devs interest just isnt there
to warrant carrying on their work as there is still a lot to be done to create a homebrew environment on Wii U

For now though, my Wii and Wii U sit side by side.
They complement each other one runs homebrew - play DVDs, emulators
and the Wii U plays games and HD games............... wait to see what will happen!!! ;) Merry Christmas
jlo138

Post by jlo138 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:55 pm

For those interested:
30C3 Console Hacking WiiU 12/27/2013 (fail0verflow)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NwKeVF-x3Og

For non devs such as myself, this was interesting but I don't speak coding. In the end they mention that it's easier to pirate than run homebrew on a closed console as the WiiU. So they question whether it's even worth going any further.
.timil retcarahc 552 a si erehT .ekam uoy stsop ot dedda eb nac taht txet fo kcolb a si sihT
deku_scrub

Post by deku_scrub » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:06 pm

I think the WiiKeyU may be released first, and then Devs will be more motivated to bring homebrew to Wii U, and then someone will make something to run Backups on a homebrew enabled Wii U.
The hardware way always come first, and then Devs rush because earning money to let someone play Backups is not nice.
__ deku_scrub __ Wii D3-2 | System 4.3 | HC installed using Smash Stack | WODE Jukebox
Xbox 360 Slim 4GB | 320GB Hacked HDD | x360key
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:43 am

The WiiKeyU (if it's real - no concrete proof if its existence has been released either unless you count a corrupted wiiU ISO) is only a drive emulator, it has nothing to do with enabling homebrew since it wouldn't allow unsigned code to be run.
manic.blood

Post by manic.blood » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:20 pm

Just saw the video that jlo138 was on about. Very interesting to hear different approaches
and some moments made me laugh at the security or lack of it ;)

They're right in that a homebrew environment without piracy would be difficult
Linux is one way that would allow this