Collectible Figures on Pokemon Rumble U, Really?

All things Wii-U can be discussed in here!
siphoned

Collectible Figures on Pokemon Rumble U, Really?

Post by siphoned » Sat May 10, 2014 1:49 am

Just in case anyone else missed it, like I did. Pokemon Rumble U takes collectible plastic figures via a near field comm chip to unlock pokemon in the game. Yeah, just like Skylanders and Disney Infinity. The 'portal' is built into the wiiU gamepad. That weird little picture on the bottom left of the gamepad. Yep, it reads pokemon figures. Crazy. How did I miss the launch day on this.

So is this the wave of the future or just some trend?

IGN and other sites have news stories about Nintendo unveiling collectible figures in June at E3. Figures for Mario, Link and tons of first party Nintendo characters. The plastic figures will work on the wiiU gamepad and a 3DS portal to unlock characters in upcoming games or fighting techniques for characters in super smash.

The Pokemon figures are out now for $3.99 in my area. The Rumble U game is only like $15 on the eshop. That doesn't sound bad but there are like 600+ Pokemon and it's a blind pack. That might be pushing my fandom for Pokemon. Has anyone played Pokemon Rumble U, is it any good? Anyone buying these figures? Anyone looking forward to tons of Nintendo interactive figures?
Nukatha

Re: Collectible Figures on Pokemon Rumble U, Really?

Post by Nukatha » Sun May 11, 2014 2:15 am

There's actually only 24 figures. 2 were some kind of pre-order bonus, and 1 is a Japanese promotional.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ ... rd_figures
siphoned

Post by siphoned » Sun May 11, 2014 3:21 am

Well that sounds a little better.... and cheaper than I thought it would be.

It says you can use "noncontact smart cards, such as transit passes, and ID's" to make 'helper pokemon' in game. Much in the same way swapping random CDs would make different monsters in Monster Rancher 2 on the playstation. Even blank RF chips could generate different pokemon.

Strange. I'll have to play it.
Nukatha

Post by Nukatha » Sun May 11, 2014 4:20 am

Basically the figures are the only way to have monsters that can level-up. All others stay at the level you catch them at.

Also, http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ ... #Passwords

They've got a nice list of passwords for a fair amount of decent monsters.