questions about the Nintendo eshop

All things Wii-U can be discussed in here!
reversalmushroom

questions about the Nintendo eshop

Post by reversalmushroom » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:30 pm

Can you use a bank card or a prepaid charge card to buy Nintendo eshop games/DLC? I heard that you can use a credit card or one of Nintendo's prepaid cards, which come in $10, $20, and $50. I don't have a credit card, and what I want to buy is $12, so if I buy the $20 card, I'll have to waste 8 dollars. Oh, and do you have to pay tax? I want to buy the Mario Kart 8 DLC for $11.99, so am I actually going to have to pay more than $11.99?
Who would win in a fight between you and yo mama?
theclaw

Re: questions about the Nintendo eshop

Post by theclaw » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:35 am

Bank and prepaid cards backed by Visa or Mastercard should work, if the correct region (some countries' eshop versions block foreign cards).
Smaller or independent companies probably not.

Tax varies by region. The US is remarkably convoluted, having no national sales tax rate.
reversalmushroom

Post by reversalmushroom » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:54 am

I'm wary of using a prepaid charge card. You can't put money on it after you already did the first time, but I don't want to put on more than it costs and waste a little of my money, but I would hate to put on exactly $11.99 only to find out it's $13.20 or something like that. Does the Nintendo eshop have a balance that's tied to an account (or the system) that I can put money in over time. If I try to use a prepaid card that doesn't have enough money, does it take the money off the card and add it to an account, or does it stay on the card (because then I would have lost my money for a card that I can never use)?
Last edited by reversalmushroom on Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:45 pm

The entire balance of the prepaid card ($10, $20, or $50) gets put onto your account, then the cost of whatever you buy gets subtracted. Leftover credit stays on your account until you spend it.
reversalmushroom

Post by reversalmushroom » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:24 pm

I just tried to buy it with a debit card, and it told me that the card can't be used, giving me error code 107-7512.
deadpixel99

Post by deadpixel99 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:04 pm

Not sure if you have a Kroger store by you, but the kroger brand prepaid visa work great.