Wii U in 2018

All things Wii-U can be discussed in here!
namesbond

Wii U in 2018

Post by namesbond » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:32 pm

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to post that I recently bought a Wii U and softmodded it. It is really cool what you can do in 2018. The Wii U can now run nintendont with full Gamecube controller and Wii U gamepad support. Someone has also made an application that lets you use non conventional controllers on all games so I am able to use Gamecube Controllers on Mario Kart 8. There are also editable config files for this application so I was able to map the buttons the same as Mario Kart Double Dash.

The Wii U in 2018 is pretty cool!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Wii U in 2018

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:11 pm

namesbond wrote:Hello everyone,

I just wanted to post that I recently bought a Wii U and softmodded it. It is really cool what you can do in 2018. The Wii U can now run nintendont with full Gamecube controller and Wii U gamepad support. Someone has also made an application that lets you use non conventional controllers on all games so I am able to use Gamecube Controllers on Mario Kart 8. There are also editable config files for this application so I was able to map the buttons the same as Mario Kart Double Dash.

The Wii U in 2018 is pretty cool!
It is but it isn't late 2000's era Wii homebrew cool :P

There's still so much I'm yet to try on the Wii U, I've only tried Not64/Wii64 in the WiiVC mode, I think there's less motivation given how hacky most of this stuff is compared to how easy it was for the Wii.
pstrick

Post by pstrick » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:09 pm

emu_kidid wrote: It is but it isn't late 2000's era Wii homebrew cool :P
Those were the days!
The Wii U homebrew scene never came close.
namesbond

Post by namesbond » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:54 am

It is sorta different for me. When the wii came out I got one on launch day then shortly after installed a wiikey. Then when smash brawl came out I remember installing a switch so that my purchased copy would play. I used to have a rawdump drive and sad gecko to rip wii games. I never got into the softmodding or Homebrew for wii until about a year ago.

The wii is really cool too. Currently, I use one with Nintendont exclusively as a GameCube with my ossc.
retro

Post by retro » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:59 am

I originally bought my Wii U (in December 2020) simply to play GameCube games via Nintendont, but I was never happy with the console's poor upscaling capabilities. Ultimately decided to actually get a real GameCube instead.