My GameCube clock seems to stop when I unplug the power cable.

Find all your GameCube topics here
coma3

Post by coma3 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:14 pm

Is this because the built-in battery is dead?

If I replace the batteries myself, will the watch continue to run even if I unplug the power cable?

thank you.
Papy.G

Re: My GameCube clock seems to stop when I unplug the power cable.

Post by Papy.G » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:54 pm

This is the battery beginning to fade out. ;)
It is not exactly stopping when you unplug the power cable, but a little while after you turn the console off (can be a couple hours or more).

If you change for a new one, your console will behave just like it should, but if you don't, the console settings may be lost as well as the calendar and clock beeing resetted each time you turn it off, when the battery drains a little further.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
coma3

Post by coma3 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:07 am

Papy.G wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:54 pm
This is the battery beginning to fade out. ;)
It is not exactly stopping when you unplug the power cable, but a little while after you turn the console off (can be a couple hours or more).

If you change for a new one, your console will behave just like it should, but if you don't, the console settings may be lost as well as the calendar and clock beeing resetted each time you turn it off, when the battery drains a little further.
Thank you :)
GeCiBot

Post by GeCiBot » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:15 am

I'm in a similar situation, it doesn't track time when I turn off my cube. Eventually if it dies out I assume I'll need to pick my settings again every time I turn it on. Is there any downside to leaving the battery in there? Leaks? I've read that the CR2032 aren't prone to leaking?

I've no soldiering experience and I don't want to practice on my cube
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:35 am

Changing the settings each time will be quite annoying, you'd better change or have someone change it for you, then you'll be good for 10+ years. It is very unlikely you won't find someone among your friends or relatives to do it, I personnally did it for some friends of mine (GB carts). Best, you can have someone install a battery support so you won't have to solder anything for the next battery change.
Plus, the batteries in Nintendo hardware are good quality ones, but still, you can never be 100% sure it will never leak, I can tell you, it will certainly do, after more or less time.
One last thing, a totally depleted battery can get as low as shorted, and it is never good to get VCC and VSS shorted anywhere in an electronic device. I have the example of my Supercard SC that works far better without a battery than with a depleted one.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
GeCiBot

Post by GeCiBot » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:58 am

Thanks for your advice Papy.G, I think I've seen those battery holders on eBay. Then I'll find someone who can do some soldiering. Probably a PC repair shop.