Wind Waker won't recognize my save file years later :(

Find all your GameCube topics here
BearBomb

Wind Waker won't recognize my save file years later :(

Post by BearBomb » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:46 am

So i've been recently going back and playing through some old saves on my original GameCube and was going to play Wind Waker today when I noticed the game no longer recognizes the save on my memory card. When I start up WW it just asks me to create a new save and I have no way to load the one that's on the card, but all the other saves for other games seem to work.
Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? If the save is corrupted would it still show up when I look through the memory card?
-Thanks!
Papy.G

Re: Wind Waker won't recognize my save file years later :(

Post by Papy.G » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:39 am

Try to put the card and disc in the console before powering it on.

Is the game disc the exact one you used years later? You won't be able to use an NTSC save with a PAL disc, for example, plus, some games have different versions available even in the same region. (Not WW AFAIK)
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
BearBomb

Post by BearBomb » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:41 pm

Yep, same disc, memory card, and system
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:49 am

Was it played via original disc and via original menu (not Swiss/etc)? If not, it's possible that whatever you launched it with "faked" the region of the game and caused it to use a different region in the titleID of the save, and now years later you're playing it using a different way and it's not recognised.

If you can still see the save in the GameCube memory card manager, use something like gcmm to back up the save and upload it here, someone can take a look at it and tell you if all hope is lost.
BearBomb

Post by BearBomb » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:39 am

emu_kidid wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:49 am
Was it played via original disc and via original menu (not Swiss/etc)? If not, it's possible that whatever you launched it with "faked" the region of the game and caused it to use a different region in the titleID of the save, and now years later you're playing it using a different way and it's not recognised.

If you can still see the save in the GameCube memory card manager, use something like gcmm to back up the save and upload it here, someone can take a look at it and tell you if all hope is lost.

I was able to pull the file from with gcmm
https://www.mediafire.com/file/h9kin9t1 ... 0.gci/file
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:15 pm

OK, it works there, but there is only one file (from 2012) at the beginning of the adventure (arriving at the fortress for the first time), nothing to tell home about, you have better start a new file from scratch, or find a save with the "hero quest" to begin.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:21 pm

GZLP indicates it's a PAL region of the game, what region are you playing now?