Question about Gamecube discs

Find all your GameCube topics here
PacoBelan

Question about Gamecube discs

Post by PacoBelan » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:48 am

Hello everyone,

I was doing a cleanup of the basement and found the following gamecube games in fairly mint condition:

Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Starfox Assault

I don't know if they're worth much but instead of throwing them out I would like to put them up on Kijiji or Ebay. I'll do more research later to see what they can be priced at or if they're even worth selling.

My question is this: Is there anyway to verify they are working ok? I have a backwards compatible wii but I don't have any of the controllers for it. Whenever I pop in any of the GC games, it shows the GC icon as if it read it. Does this mean that these games are working properly? Would like to know in case I decide to sell them.

Thank you!
Papy.G

Re: Question about Gamecube discs

Post by Papy.G » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:13 am

What you see only indicates they have been recognized as GC's DVDs (maybe only based on the disc's size?), but doesn't prove they can work. Maybe you can run CleanRip on your wii, rip the discs and compare with the redump database?

Otherwise, you have to check for:
No scratches on the reading surface side.
No separation of the two main layers (comes from the outer borders or inner circle).
Not too much transparency of the reflective layer (sun and heat damage).

If those three things are OK, it should be fine. ;)

Or it may be worth buying a controller, memcard, and just play them enjoying progressive scan! :mrgreen:
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Question about Gamecube discs

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:57 pm

Yeah, use CleanRip. Those 3 games if PAL region at least are fairly sought after/expensive at this current time.