GBI - GCVideo Lite - Retro-bit

Find all your GameCube topics here
Lamprey

GBI - GCVideo Lite - Retro-bit

Post by Lamprey » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:10 pm

Hi,

I had a couple of questions related to running GBI and Retro-bit Component Cables that I was hoping someone might know the answer to.

I've read there are some issues when trying to output 240p using GCvideo Lite (which the Retor-bit cables use). Is that still an issue, specifically, with the Reto-bit component cables?

Is it possible to change the output of the Retor-bit Conmponent cables to RGB instead of Component? It doesn't seem like it has remote support, like the Reto-bit Prism (HDMI) adapter, so I wasn't sure if it possible. Just looking to get RGB out without having the spend hundreds.

Thanks!
Extrems

Re: GBI - GCVideo Lite - Retro-bit

Post by Extrems » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:34 pm

Please seek a refund.
Lamprey

Post by Lamprey » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:35 am

Extrems wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:34 pm
Please seek a refund.
Super helpful, Thanks! :roll:
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:49 am

Not sure why you bothered buying a GC-Video device to output 240p while you may just have bought a PAL, RGB compatible unit?
You may have asked before buying. :roll:

The other way would have been to buy Nintendo's OEM component or RGB cable for NTSC consoles (connecting to the Digital AV port), but this is wayyy too expensive and/or rare to find.

Or you may take a GC-Video HDMI device, if your TV doesn't support 240p via HDMI, you may emulate it within a 480p mode, with or without scanlines insertion as you fancy.

It all depends on the compatibility of your output device.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Lamprey

Post by Lamprey » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:49 pm

I didn't buy anything. I'm asking two questions:
1. if there are issues with GBI (Game Boy Interface) and GCvideo-lite products, specifically the Retro-bit Component cables and
2. can the Retro-bit Component cables have the output type changed to RGB.

Yes, I have a CRT tv that supports 240p and 480i. I know about the Nintendo component cables and they are more than I want to spend and they do not offer RGB output. Buying a PAL Gamecube is a possible option. I haven't done all the research to see if it makes sense for me.

I've read on the GBI website not to use any GCVideo Lite products in conjunction with it. But, I've already read that people are using GBI with GCVideo Lite products with success. So, trying to separate the noise from reality.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:08 pm

1) Yes, and it's not just with Game Boy Interface. https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.p ... 5#p1497325
2) No. I recommend you either get a PAL GameCube, or use a HDMI to VGA converter and then a sync combiner.
Lamprey

Post by Lamprey » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:50 pm

Extrems wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:08 pm
1) Yes, and it's not just with Game Boy Interface. https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.p ... 5#p1497325
2) No. I recommend you either get a PAL GameCube, or use a HDMI to VGA converter and then a sync combiner.
Excellent, just what I needed. Thank you very much!
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:10 pm

Happy to read that you didn't already buy anything and are stuck with it. ;)

There are GC-Video devices that output RGB, GC-Video Lite may be turned to RGB output, but you need at least one more coax for that, and programming skills. Also Nintendo component cable can be modded to output RGB, and there has been a Digital AV to RGB Nintendo cable too.

Maybe there are good HDMI to RGB converters out there?
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Lamprey

Post by Lamprey » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:07 pm

Appreciate the info.

I was trying to avoid too many "conversions" so I wasn't really considering and HDMI to RGB converter. There is also the EON GCHD MK-II that allows for RGB output, but at that price I might as well get a PAL Gamecube. Currently, looking into a PAL console. Wish I had bought one a couple years ago when prices were a bit more reasonable.

Thanks again!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:36 pm

You aren't really avoiding any extra conversions. It's just a different chip interconnect.