Flashing Swiss to Qoob Pro memory through Disc/SD

Find all your GameCube topics here
KiteLloydFox

Flashing Swiss to Qoob Pro memory through Disc/SD

Post by KiteLloydFox » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:59 pm

Hello, everyone!

I'm KiteLloydFox! :P

I'm new to this forum, so I might be posting in the wrong session or making a topic that has already been answered, so I apologize in advance.

Going direct to the point, I have a GameCube Dol-101 with Qoob Pro chip. I bought it with the chip back in 2005 but only used it to load backup discs.

I recently discovered Swiss and started using it through a backup mini DVD to load Games from the SD Card on the Memory Card port. The problem is that my GameCube optical drive is not reading discs as easily anymore, especially backups, so booting Swiss through the disc is very hard and I can only do it after many tries or if I adjust the GameCube optical drive by opening it, which is very time consuming and not always work.

Since I have the Qoob Pro chip that has a small storage where I can boot apps (2 MiB), I wanted to flash Swiss to it so I could boot Swiss without the disc.

My Qoob Pro chip doesn't have the micro USB port, so I can't connect it to a PC. But I can access its memory through Swiss and through the initial boot screen when I power on the GameCube to load applications.

Is there any way I can flash the Swiss boot.dol to the Qoob Pro memory through the Swiss itself or by burning a disc?

I also will upload some pictures to explain where I meant:

This is the Qoob Pro initial menu that I can access without any disc:

I want to know if it's possible to flash the Swiss dol file to Qoob Pro chip memory so I can load it from this menu without the need of the Swiss disc.

This is Qoob Pro memory showing up in the Swiss menu:

Can I copy I file from my SD Card or Disc to the Qoob Pro memory using Swiss? Or the only way to do it is through the micro USB (that my chip doesn't have, unfortunately)?

My Qoob Pro chip:

I thank you all in advance for any help you can provide me. :D
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Flashing Swiss to Qoob Pro memory through Disc/SD

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:21 am

It's read only at the moment but I suppose I could add write support.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:31 am

You should so that issue #393 can be closed. :P
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:15 am

Either way you flash it, you might want to flash a boot forwarder instead of the full SWISS, so that you keep enough space for other utilities, such as GBI, GCMM, whatever, update Swiss with the ease of just copying it to your SD, and prevent your qoob's flash from multiple writes wear.

There are launchers that permit multi forwarding, so that you launch up to twelve different applications from direct pad press shortcuts.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:58 am

Added support for your use case, you should be able to copy swiss.dol from SD card or DVD/etc to the Qoob Flash: https://github.com/emukidid/swiss-gc/issues/393
KiteLloydFox

Post by KiteLloydFox » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:39 pm

Thank you very much for the help, everyone!! :D
Papy.G wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:15 am
Either way you flash it, you might want to flash a boot forwarder instead of the full SWISS, so that you keep enough space for other utilities, such as GBI, GCMM, whatever, update Swiss with the ease of just copying it to your SD, and prevent your qoob's flash from multiple writes wear.

There are launchers that permit multi forwarding, so that you launch up to twelve different applications from direct pad press shortcuts.
Thank you for the advice! I think I will do just that.
emu_kidid wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:58 am
Added support for your use case, you should be able to copy swiss.dol from SD card or DVD/etc to the Qoob Flash: https://github.com/emukidid/swiss-gc/issues/393
I can't thank you enough!! Really, thank you!! You're a life safer! I'm going to test it right away. :D
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:33 am

Wait for the next build release! :mrgreen:
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:07 am

KiteLloydFox wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:39 pm
I can't thank you enough!! Really, thank you!! You're a life safer! I'm going to test it right away. :D
Now that your issue is resolved, I have a question:

Is the GameCube clock working perfectly with Qoob installed?

I need to always correct the time after a few days. And I think it started after using Swiss daily for Qoob's memory.
KiteLloydFox

Post by KiteLloydFox » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:26 pm

Hi, everyone!

Not that I had any doubts, but I just want to let you know that it did work!! I'm so happy that my GameCube is finally resurrected after many years of not seeing too many uses due to its poor optical drive. Thanks again for all the help emu_kidid and everyone!

Some pics:
Image Image
Image Image
Papy.G wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:33 am
Oh, I can't wait! :D I was able to download a swiss.dol with the Qoob PRO write support through the GitHub link that emu_kidid provided, but I believe that this support will be incorporated in the next builds too, right?
Andross89 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:07 am

I need to always correct the time after a few days. And I think it started after using Swiss daily for Qoob's memory.
Now that you mentioned it, I did notice that my GameCube clock was wrong in the pictures that I took yesterday. It seems to be running late, but I haven't set the clock right in a long time since I haven't been playing the GameCube as much due to problems with its optical drive. I will correct the date and clock and see if it's working normally.
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:17 pm

KiteLloydFox wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:26 pm
Now that you mentioned it, I did notice that my GameCube clock was wrong in the pictures that I took yesterday. It seems to be running late, but I haven't set the clock right in a long time since I haven't been playing the GameCube as much due to problems with its optical drive. I will correct the date and clock and see if it's working normally.
In this case, it may be necessary to replace the battery. I did that when I realized but the problem persists.

Try doing the test with the power source disconnected. There is a difference between these two problems. The time delay is much longer without the power source.

Sometimes I try to find a solution and the fact that you don't have the component for the connection gave me the idea to disconnect and see what happens after a few days. It might not work but I have nothing to lose.
everfraz

Post by everfraz » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:05 pm

KiteLloydFox wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:26 pm
Hi, everyone!

Not that I had any doubts, but I just want to let you know that it did work!! I'm so happy that my GameCube is finally resurrected after many years of not seeing too many uses due to its poor optical drive. Thanks again for all the help emu_kidid and everyone!

Some pics:
Image Image
Image Image
Papy.G wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:33 am
Oh, I can't wait! :D I was able to download a swiss.dol with the Qoob PRO write support through the GitHub link that emu_kidid provided, but I believe that this support will be incorporated in the next builds too, right?
Andross89 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:07 am

an error occurred for me. "Failed to Copy" so sad :(
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:16 pm

does your Qoob PRO have enough space? post some pictures of what the device looks like when browsed in Swiss.