What is the best solution to play backups?

Find all your GameCube topics here
psyko_chewbacca

What is the best solution to play backups?

Post by psyko_chewbacca » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi, I just began browsing these forums and I must say I am happily impressed by the developpement still going on for the gamecube.

My gamecube recently began to give me DRE and instead of buying a replacement laser lens (probably refurb and will die on me in 3 months...) I started looking for alternatives to play games on my GC. I wanted to get opinions and facts on the different methods used to play games on the console aside from physical discs. My goal is to obtain max compatibility.

Of course there is still the SD-Boot method which I read has improved over the years with the addition of Swiss. HDD-EXI adapter looks cool but compatibility is not better than loading from the SD gecko, right?

Then I saw that incredible method to plug in a Wiikey Fusion instead of the DVD drive. Compatibility looks good and SD cards are really cheap.

I also saw the same method as above but with a WODE, I also read that game compatiblity is not an issue with the WODE. So I deduce that the WODE as a DVD drive replacement would be the way to go.

Am I missing anything here, is there any other way to play my games other than booting with a physical disc in the console?

Also, if I would like to plug in a WODE in my gamecube (my IPL is compatible, I checked), is there anyone still selling adapters for an easier installation?

Thanks!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: What is the best solution to play backups?

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:25 pm

seems like you're up to speed alright :)

I'd recommend Wiikey Fusion/WODE, I'm looking to get some adapters made up to sell in the webstore (cheapest cost just to get them out there to the users :D)
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:36 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! Would you recommend the Wiikey Fusion or the WODE? I am ready to pay the difference if it means higher game compatibility.

Of course if both chips have the same compatibility I would go with the cheapest.

Thanks again!
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:46 pm

emu_kidid wrote:seems like you're up to speed alright :)

I'd recommend Wiikey Fusion/WODE, I'm looking to get some adapters made up to sell in the webstore (cheapest cost just to get them out there to the users :D)
like the ones ashen made - only factory made?
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:53 pm

It comes down to personal preference if you want to change SD cards more often/etc. The wiikey fusion on a Gamecube will need to have a switch pressed on bootup which is the only real downside. The Wiikey Fusion is better than the WODE for its speed which seemed a little faster than the Wode in games when they're loading (depends on the SD card/etc), but the WODE can boot up without the need of a switch and can also have a HDD connected up via USB.

liquitt:
The ones like kennycc probably.
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:01 pm

Hum thanks for the advice. I must admit that the switch thing for the WiiKey is somewhat of a con comparing to the WODE.

About loading speeds, using the WODE, is there any games you tried that seemed to slow down in game play. Is it only that loading will take a couple seconds more on the WODE than on the WiiKey or is it worst than that?

If I had to choose the WODE I would probably mount an SD card reader on it when I think of it.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:05 pm

the loading time differences are not evident unless you're a fanatic like me when it comes to Gamecube games :p You'd never notice any difference when running a Wode vs original DVD, it's just that maybe the wiikey fusion in large loading sections is half a second faster than the Wode (which too is already faster than a DVD).
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:25 pm

Alright thanks, all I want is to be sure is that I will be able to use my gamecube for a few years without having DRE issues and poor gameplay experience due to lag or stuttering! I'll probably go with the WODE as it seems more easy to operate!

Thanks alot. I'll be sure to check for that WODE/WiiKey Fusion adapter. I'm not afraid of soldering but I prefer a clean solution to avoid any trouble related.

Thanks!
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:44 pm

I talked to my friend quickly about the WODE hooking up to the GC. He would like to have one too. He has a first generation GC with a digital AV port. Would it be compatible with the WODE as it is probably loaded with IPL version 1.0?

I saw on another post that NTSC-U systems with IPL 1.0 were incompatible. Then again, after reading other posts, I read that people successfully managed to hook up a WiiKey Fusion to a PAL or NTSC-J sysem despite being said it was incompatible in the stickied info thread. Not that GC are expensive these days, it's just that it would be a shame to destroy a good working GC...
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:51 am

it's not exactly destroying it, only if you're removing the disc drive connector. I've tried PAL IPL 1.0 and it worked fine.