I finally bought a Gamecube!!!

Welcome to the GC-Forever forums, feel free to introduce yourself here!
mkenyon2

I finally bought a Gamecube!!!

Post by mkenyon2 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:49 pm

I know, I know, what took me so long?! Well, for the longest time, I was mainly a PC gamer. Recently, I've gotten back to my console roots. When it comes to consoles, I've always been a Nintendo fan, NES, Gameboy, GBA.

I've also gotten into fixing up old game hardware, so the Gamecube I bought was a fixer-upper. Didn't read discs. Now it does, and not only that, I can use the Gameboy Player on it, so I'm living the gaming life now!

Can't wait to see what interesting stuff you folks have been up to here.
BigHungry214

Re: I finally bought a Gamecube!!!

Post by BigHungry214 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:59 pm

What's up bro. I've had my gamecube since four. Was the first gaming system i've ever had so i'll keep it forever. I was interested to know how much you payed for the gamecube? And where did you learn how to work on old video game hardware? And how big is your game collection? Mine is sadly around nine. But with the power of ebay i'm gonna start to grow my collection.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:45 pm

Welcome to you both!

Pro Tip: If you start collecting, don't go for all the sports games, it's a serious de-motivator having to buy every Fifa and Madden ever made :P
mkenyon2

Post by mkenyon2 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:01 pm

So back in high school I took electronics as shop. That and youtube, got me going. So, I found a local guy who was willing to part with a Gamecube that wouldn't read discs for $8. Bought that, some cables (already had some controllers for use on the Wii) and fiddled with the laser. Thankfully, it was not too bad, though I understand that it means I may eventually lose the laser all together. But they have replacements for those.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:57 am

Welcome, if you want to lenghten the laser life, you can use SWISS as much as possible, and run most of your games' backups off an SD card.
You can also try to clean the lens the better and step the laser adjustment down the lower possible before it can't boot (and run your games that won't work from an SD card).
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)