Greetings from Malaysia!

Welcome to the GC-Forever forums, feel free to introduce yourself here!
retro

Greetings from Malaysia!

Post by retro » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:30 am

Hello GameCube fans!

Greetings from Malaysia!

I am new to the GameCube scene, having only gotten my console a month ago, and only finished setting it up with GC Loader last week.

I am still learning the ins and outs of the console, so I hope the forum will be able to help me with some of the teething problems I am still facing with it.

Thank you.
Diego borella

Re: Greetings from Malaysia!

Post by Diego borella » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:28 pm

welcome! here you will find everything you need for your gamecube. I hope you have fun.
greetings from Brazil.
SWISS USER :geek:
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:05 pm

Welcome here!

I see you use a NTSC Cube, and UK power supply, it's quite unusual.
Wasn't the GameCube officially distributed in your country? Was it NTSC or PAL?

I also see you play Taxi3, that is one of the few PAL exclusive games, and said to be the worse GameCube driving game, from what I read and hear around, I never bothered to try on my own to make my opinion on this (since I can't play it, as I don't have any 50Hz output display). Is it underrated or maybe you are a big fan of the franchise?
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
retro

Post by retro » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:36 am

Sony is the only one to officially release their consoles in Malaysia, the first being the PS2.

All other consoles (including current Nintendo and Microsoft consoles) are grey imports.

All TVs sold here are fully compatible with NTSC, PAL, and SECAM, even though PAL is the official broadcast standard here.

I had NTSC SNES and PS1 consoles when I was a kid, and I had to hook them up to stepdown transformers as Malaysian power supply is 220V.

I love the first two Taxi movies (couldn't find the third), so I figured why not try the game? :)

Controls are a bit sensitive, and perhaps it is indeed the worst racer on GameCube. But it is hardly the worst driving game I have ever played.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:00 am

Too bad they are not properly distributed all over the world, as for Malaysia, it would have been so easy to get the UK power bricks and any pal unit, what may be quite painful and expensive to gather.

So you have TV sets quite similar to European ones (PAL/Secam, 220V/50Hz), maybe you even have SCART/RGB connectors on them?

How come you get to watch Taxi movies in Malaysia? :?:
Did they get subtitled in Malaysian? or you saw them English dubbed?

I love those action/comedy films and find them quite entertaining. I'm fond of most Luc Besson's films as well (Nikita/Leon the professionnal/the fifth element/the great blue/Arthur and the Minimoys, wasn't able to watch Lucy, while it was broadcasted last week :cry: )

If you liked the two first, you'd love to know that there are two more of them, plus a Fifth that is the new generation, not with Daniel and Emilien anymore, but still with Gibert, which is my favourite character: "Alerte Générale !" :mrgreen: .

There is also US version of the movie, produced by Europa Corp, titled New York Taxi outside of the USA, that mixes ideas from the two first, while Jimmy Fallon plays as the cop, Queen Latifah as the taxi driver, and Jennifer Esposito as the cop's ex and Lieutenant, it is really fun!

There is also a TV show, title "Taxi Brooklyn", where the cop is a girl and the taxi driver a man, but the car is not rocket powered anymore. This one is more in the line of the usual US cop TV shows.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
retro

Post by retro » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:50 am

Most of the pre-7th gen consoles imported in Malaysia are NTSC-U units.

Most Wii consoles imported in Malaysia are sourced from either Australia or Korea, and Xbox 360 and Xbox One consoles are a mix of consoles from US or Singapore.

While our TVs support NTSC, PAL, and SECAM, they do not have SCART connectors. Practically everyone I know (including myself) were using S-Video for console video output back in the day.

My SNES, PS1, PS2, PS Vita, Dreamcast, Xbox 360, and Wii U are the US versions.

My GBA, Xbox, and Wii are from Australia, the Saturn and GameCube are from Japan.

The only official Malaysian consoles in my collection are the PSP, PS3 and PS4 Pro.

The popularity of a console here is solely reliant on the availability of cheap bootlegs, which was why the GameCube and Xbox simply weren't available here. I had to import my 220V GameCube power supply from an eBay seller in UK.

Bootleg DVDs were extremely common here in the golden age of physical media, which was how I got my hands on the first two Taxi movies. They were recommended by a cinephile friend of mine, and I instantly got hooked! The car chase in the finale of Taxi 2 remains one of my favorite chase sequences of all time.

It's the dynamic between Daniel and Emilien in the first movie that got me, and the introduction of Petra in Taxi 2 ramped the heat up a notch!

I haven't taken a peek at local broadcast TV in decades (other than for the occasional news broadcast), so I have no idea if they were ever aired here.

I have been relying on buying discs from Amazon for my movie fix since 2002, and also on Netflix since they finally came to Malaysia 2-3 years ago.

I didn't bother with the Queen Latifah/Jimmy Fallon remake of Taxi, it seemed like just another American bastardization of a great European IP.

Speaking of Luc Besson, he is hit and miss for me. I frickin' love The Fifth Element and The Professional (just waiting for a discount for the 4K discs on Amazon), but I thought Lucy was absolute dreck and a complete waste of time.