XenoGC fork

KirovAir

Re: XenoGC fork

Post by KirovAir » Mon May 21, 2012 9:31 am

Dragoon wrote:
liquitt wrote:
dantheman2865 wrote:That's a good point, an open-source drive-chip would provide more functionality. I am most interested in this because it's my current setup, although it would be nice to provide an upgrade to people who already have Xenos.
with all the knowledge on this forum and on irc we could be a gamecube open source super modchip!
Then start a project! I think tmbinc's schematic for a modchip will do.
The point is using the existing Xeno source code & hardware, since it's very cheap and also flashable on a Wiikey. ;)
"The only thing more dangerous than a hardware guru with a code patch is a programmer with a soldering iron."
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Mon May 21, 2012 9:47 am

KirovAir wrote:
Dragoon wrote:
liquitt wrote:
The point is using the existing Xeno source code & hardware, since it's very cheap and also flashable on a Wiikey. ;)
'sactly!
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » Tue May 22, 2012 8:09 am

KirovAir wrote:
Dragoon wrote:
liquitt wrote:with all the knowledge on this forum and on irc we could be a gamecube open source super modchip!
I don't think it would be a great idea, since it has very limited flash space, and needs a disc in the drive.
I prefer BIOS overriding modchips, because of that (not needing a disc in the drive, or not needing a drive at all).
Tmbinc's modchip has more space (about 2 megabytes if I remember correct), and would be ideal for stuff as swiss.
So a BIOS overriding modchip with preferably alot space, is my thought of a opensource super modchip.
KirovAir

Post by KirovAir » Tue May 22, 2012 8:41 am

Dragoon wrote: I don't think it would be a great idea, since it has very limited flash space, and needs a disc in the drive.
I prefer BIOS overriding modchips, because of that (not needing a disc in the drive, or not needing a drive at all).
Tmbinc's modchip has more space (about 2 megabytes if I remember correct), and would be ideal for stuff as swiss.
So a BIOS overriding modchip with preferably alot space, is my thought of a opensource super modchip.
Ofcourse, but how streamlined will the production be? The design/costs for hardware and even the IPL replacement code will take a lot of effort. The end result will probably cost more than a current Wiikey fusion setup. (Which is by far superior)

The easy, and IMHO better way would be a Xeno. (Drive chip == 'cleaner' backup loading)
The limited flash is not a problem, since it only needs to contain limited boot-code to launch Swiss or any other homebrew from a SD gecko or similar device to achieve similar features. Build-in memory has become obsolete with the current Swiss developments.
"The only thing more dangerous than a hardware guru with a code patch is a programmer with a soldering iron."
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:47 pm

This is the first time I'm reading this topic. I hope people continue working on this fork.
Let's not worry about anything other than XenoGC here :P
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:47 am

megalomaniac wrote:hope you find something good...

i think ive come to the realization that a WKF/WODE mod offers more benefits to a cube than the xeno ever could....
mostly because of the dependency requirement that the xeno needs a drive in order to patch...

the other two options acting as a drive replacement really kills xeno....
....and flashing swiss on a WFK murders xeno all day long....

ive even banged my head around the thought of cross compiling the code to a different chip with a larger flash space to add a customized version of swiss...
and/or adding external sd card code to xeno code for an atmega 8 (or other) to access swiss (start button) ....but the bottom line, still need a drive....

my opinion, drive replacement WKF/WODE offers so much more advantages...
dont want to sound negative or deter your efforts....
just voicing my opinion on different thoughts ive had for xeno vs WFK/WODE....

its time i rethink my previous outlook on xeno..
now that its possible to use a Xeno and WKF/WODE together, it would be interesting to consider the possibilities in store for it...
i already have one in mind :twisted:

the biggest reason this project and all who were involved could never move forward is because we could not get that damn xeno flasher utility working...this limited flashing Xeno firmware only to those who have a homemade xeno with serial port programming add on enhancements, or those who can connect their xeno for ISP (serial programming)...
so without a working utility, why bother putting in time and effort to modifying / improving the xeno code if there is no way for mostly anyone to be able to flash any new firmware (not including homemade ISP xeno's)...

until now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lhd8M3_NaI
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:08 pm

beer and iron maiden, i like that!
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
dantheman2865

Post by dantheman2865 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:25 pm

This is great news! Is the code commit-worthy? What did you change to get it to work?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:16 pm

I really wish I knew what I've changed to get it working...It was a long night of trial and error and I have not had a chance to review the changes and determine / discover why it now works..
ill commit the changes in a few hours (when I'm more awake)
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:18 am

Cool, keep up the good work!
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:18 am

There was a serious infrastructure issue in two datacenters (simultaneously!) that caused svn service to be read-only for a bit. Our reckoning is that this got sorted more than 24 hours ago (and many people report that we're back), but it seems like some people are still not able to commit to some repositories
some repos are having issues and cannot commit to googlecode right now, so when they fix their issues ill update latest changes...

Image Image Image
Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:15 pm

Use github maybe?
dantheman2865

Post by dantheman2865 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:47 pm

Dragoon wrote:Use github maybe?
We already have a repository with everything XenoGC-related at Google Code: https://code.google.com/p/xenogcfork/
Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:16 pm

dantheman2865 wrote:
We already have a repository with everything XenoGC-related at Google Code: https://code.google.com/p/xenogcfork/
I meant, why don't use github when googlecode has so much problems?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:44 pm

Dragoon wrote:
dantheman2865 wrote:
I meant, why don't use github when googlecode has so much problems?

...because then two repos will need to be maintained which can cause more of a headache...

Image Image Image
Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:21 am

megalomaniac wrote:...because then two repos will need to be maintained which can cause more of a headache...
Then you would scrap the googlecode repo of course.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:14 am

committed, finally...

Image Image Image
RazorX2014

Post by RazorX2014 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:08 pm

hey guys I have an official xenogc which I've added a switch to so I can update it unfortunately my PC is broken so I have to use my tablet so I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to compile this for me to launch gcmm if possible since swiss isn't at the minute so I can use it to backup my memory cards without my SD media launcher thanks.

also I have an idea for you guys as too launching swiss or other large apps why don't you create a dol which is like a shortcut so the xeno launches the small dol which launches a larger one kinda like the dol you use with an action replay to launch gcos.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:21 pm

Latest swiss nightly build has an AR dol

Image Image Image
Jenetrix

Post by Jenetrix » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:12 pm

Since the move of the repo from googlecode to github the XenoTools package is no longer available.
Does anyone have this and can upload it? If not, is there a compiled version of the most recent version of xenogcfork (and .dol flasher) available?
vingt-2

Post by vingt-2 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:17 am

emu_kidid wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:35 pm
Got it all working, I've committed my changes too, see the change log for what I fixed.
Details will come tomorrow on what I did to get the file onto the memory card/etc.

I'm sorry for the ultimate necromancy on this post, but I'm very keen on getting this to work for my Gamecube, I'm tired of swapping discs to boot my PAL games in 480p with swiss and this would be the final piece of my puzzle. I'm able to modify and build xenoshell and flash it to my xenogc. I'm just not sure if there's anything to do to have the proper header for my dol in my memory card (I've written the dol to the memory card using swiss). I know it's been a verrrrrryyyy long time (god it has), but would you have any pointers for me on making this work ?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:49 am

I personnally just dumped the games I use the most to an SD card, so to (almost) ever have to pull the exploited Game's disc off the console.

Can you be more specific about how you currently load SWISS (which media, which connection on the cube), and how you want to load it then (media and connection again). Do you manage to get to what is shown on the caption?

If you want to boot SWISS off the memcard, then pick the boot.GCI in the GCI folder and put it on the memcard. If you want to load it from Slot-B SD-Gecko, you'll have to get a Dolauncher and put it on the memcard, then SWISS.dol renamed as it suits for the said Dolauncher and put on the SD-Gecko's SD card.
I must admit I haven't already tested copying files from SD to Memcard in SWISS's file manager, so if it doesn't work this way, you'll have to use GCMM to do so (previously put your .GCI files in a folder named "MCBACKUP" at the root of the SD).
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
vingt-2

Post by vingt-2 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:57 pm

Sorry I guess I was pretty unclear with what I was trying to achieve. I only have a xenogc which i use to boot swiss with via a burnt iso. My setup works fine, but I like to use my physical disks to play my games, however a big part of my collection is PAL, and I do appreciate being able to patch them for 480p. What I don't like is having to boot up swiss via disc, then swap the disc for my game, everytime I boot up the Gamecube. Reading games off of sd2sp2 would be an option if I wasn't insane, but that's not what I want :mrgreen:.
The plan is to use Xenoshell to boot a dol from accessible memory, in anyway possible, so I can leave my games in the gamecube and still boot to swiss ;). This wouldn't be a challenge in and of itself, if it wasn't for the anemic 4kb of code I can ship on the atmega flash. I can't seem to read the memory card from xenoshell. The point of this thread is that there is already supposedly an implementation for that using immediate mode EXI calls, but somehow I can't get any data back from my memory card with that. I was hoping emukidid would be able to share how far he went with that a whooping 8 years ago :D. Cheers.

EDIT: Oh god, I'm a dumbass. It's pretty obvious what was wrong with the code on the fork's github. I'm able to read the content of my memory card, I'll commit something in the coming days.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:19 pm

vingt-2 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:57 pm
Sorry I guess I was pretty unclear with what I was trying to achieve. I only have a xenogc which i use to boot swiss with via a burnt iso. My setup works fine, but I like to use my physical disks to play my games, however a big part of my collection is PAL, and I do appreciate being able to patch them for 480p. What I don't like is having to boot up swiss via disc, then swap the disc for my game, everytime I boot up the Gamecube. Reading games off of sd2sp2 would be an option if I wasn't insane, but that's not what I want :mrgreen:.
The plan is to use Xenoshell to boot a dol from accessible memory, in anyway possible, so I can leave my games in the gamecube and still boot to swiss ;). This wouldn't be a challenge in and of itself, if it wasn't for the anemic 4kb of code I can ship on the atmega flash. I can't seem to read the memory card from xenoshell. The point of this thread is that there is already supposedly an implementation for that using immediate mode EXI calls, but somehow I can't get any data back from my memory card with that. I was hoping emukidid would be able to share how far he went with that a whooping 8 years ago :D. Cheers.

EDIT: Oh god, I'm a dumbass. It's pretty obvious what was wrong with the code on the fork's github. I'm able to read the content of my memory card, I'll commit something in the coming days.
The code is pretty primitive and just seeks through the entire memory card at each block boundary looking for a DOL header if I recall correctly or something. It also means that you should wipe your memory card completely or restore a pristine raw image using something like gcmm otherwise it might find an old partial DOL/etc.
vingt-2

Post by vingt-2 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:51 am

Ah that's alright, I was just bummed out yesterday because I hadn't noticed your forked version had a missing pointer dereference when sending exi commands for the memcard so I wasted too many hours going over the documentation. I ended up implementing support for file lookup on either memcard instead of having the gc scan through like a mad dog and like you said potentially picking up on stale/garbage data. It's quite easy to get it to work thanks to swiss's your support for writing arbitrary files to the memcard. I'm booting a dol called gbiloader for which I've added support for sd2sp2 to real quick and I can boot to swiss in a matter of seconds. Hurray!
Here's a link to my fork if you want to merge it in with yours: https://github.com/vingt-2/xenogcfork/