Gamecube DOL green screen

Death Valley

Gamecube DOL green screen

Post by Death Valley » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:19 pm

Hi everybody. I'm new on the forum and came here seeking and hoping for some tips or advices.

Here goes:

Some while ago, I bought a new, refourbished Gamecube with a normal Viper modchip in it, that's where the problems begun.
Initially, back in the days, I had bought a Xeno GC, many where then saying it was easy to install and of use, so that's what I did, but somehow, I messed it up (the soldure spread on the memory board, making it useless).
As of for any other consoles, I thought to myself; "Hey! Some great guy made emulators for it!". And so I tried to burn my SEGA/ SNES copies with the required emulators, I tried repeatedly with different techniques, but was yet never been able to get anything to work like on other consoles such as the wii, ps2,ps3, xbox/360. I kept getting a flickering green static screen, or in some cases, sutch as with the n64 emulator, a continuous "loading DOL" message.
I have tried most of the solutions I could find on the web, I think, but none of them worked. One of them implicated a homebrew loader named Swiss, but being merely informed on the subject, I did not venture that far (I don't even know if a SD-loader is required or if it can simply be 'flashed to the modchip with a dvd).
One more thing, just in case, I'm using the cobra 2.1 bios.

Thank you all for your time spent here and your eventual help, I'm all ears to any kind of answer.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Gamecube DOL green screen

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:11 am

Hello & welcome to the forums :)

Yes, your XenoGC would've been easier to use, but not all hope is lost with the ViperGC.

First a few questions:
What BIOS is on your ViperGC, Cobra?
If Cobra, what version?

With the ViperGC and Cobra BIOS, you can boot homebrew using one of the many features below:
- ISO9660 disc with the DOL of the emulator you want to boot and some ROMs
- SDLoad as a plugin (find either the standalone .CBP (Cobra Plugin) version, or find Cobra2.1+SDLoad.VGC (ViperGC BIOS), burn it to a iso9660 disc and press A on these in the Cobra File Manager, this will write it as a plugin/BIOS)
- Burn Swiss to disc and use that to manage everything

SDLoad requires a 2GB SD card and a SDGecko, I strongly suggest you buy a SDGecko (WiiSD adapter from dx.com for like $3) since most homebrew that does anything useful will want to read/write to it at some point.

If you managed to see the homebrew .DOL files on the DVD disc that you'd made but only got a green screen you might want to try recompressing the DOL files with dollz v3 and using the -v flag (meant to be some kind of ViperGC fix).

Hope this helps!
Death Valley

Post by Death Valley » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:58 pm

Hi and thanks for replying.
As mentioned above, I'm using the cobra 2.1 bios, but yet my problem is that whenever I try to use a dol program (snes9x, for example) I get either a green screen, either an eternal 'Loading DOL' screen. Some guy has suggested to me that it might be due to an issue with the viper OS DOL loader, as no one (not that I know least of all reported this kind of situation on a qoob or Xeno... modchip)
As I understood it's some sort of hardware bug with the Viper itself but yet I heard that it may eventually be fixed by enabling compatibility mode in Dollz, but I can't start the program since all I can see appearing to the screen for just a few quarters of a second is an empty DOS window.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:52 pm

Run a command window in that directory and run it from there.
Death Valley

Post by Death Valley » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:47 pm

Hi again, I did as you said and indeed the program worked but gave me the following error (which I believe is quite common, size of the dol or something) : unable to open Gamecube DOL - snes9xgx-gc.dol
What should I do next ?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:56 pm

Burn Swiss and boot it. Grab it from the nightly builds thread here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1375