FBA retro arch help

shadowfire36

FBA retro arch help

Post by shadowfire36 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:20 am

So i have have finally figured out on how to get Retroarch to boot on the GC ,but i cannot seem to get any of the games to launch in FBA 2012 . All my system does is boot the games then goes to a black screen and reboots.

i currently am using a gc dol ntsc xeno 101, booting from swiss .05 on a slot sd memory card in slot A with the latest retroarch (i think its 1.9.6 ?)

i have already clrmamepro'ed my rom set and its good , and i also tried unzipping a rom, but that didnt work either . My rom set i also zipped

can anyone assist ??
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: FBA retro arch help

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:21 pm

Pretty sure you're just running into a memory limit that they've not addressed with larger ROMs. The same is prevalent across many of their cores, try a tiny ROM to confirm.
shadowfire36

Post by shadowfire36 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:48 pm

Hello Buddy ,

yea i thought that to but i tried loading games like 10-yard fight and burger time but i get the same loop back
Ploggy

Post by Ploggy » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:27 pm

Sorry to bump but I'm suffering the same issue, I have hacked my GC with Shinehax, autoboots latest (as of this date) Swiss, manually boot the RA Core, choose game be it SMS/SNES/MD all of which just reboots the GC?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:58 pm

Still trying to figure out how to reach someone at RA or libretro to help by testing and reporting what works and what does not because getting it to work properly on the GC seems problematic or they just don't care much about.

I personally had working cores until the 1.8.5 if I remember well, using it for Theodore, the Thomson TO8 emulator that doesn't exist in a standalone form for GC.
I'm facing the same issue with newer releases (though I didn't test between 1.8.5 and 1.9.2 or something).

If just for SNES roms, you have Dborth's SNES9xGC that works well now with SP2, if you're using SDGecko, get three or four releases backward to get a working iteration (4.4.9, maybe need to get an older version first just to get the settings file created on the SD, then updating will be OK).

For all Sega from pre-SMS to MD/32x/CD, genplus GX is very good at it.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Ploggy

Post by Ploggy » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:04 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:58 pm
Still trying to figure out how to reach someone at RA or libretro to help by testing and reporting what works and what does not because getting it to work properly on the GC seems problematic or they just don't care much about.

I personally had working cores until the 1.8.5 if I remember well, using it for Theodore, the Thomson TO8 emulator that doesn't exist in a standalone form for GC.
I'm facing the same issue with newer releases (though I didn't test between 1.8.5 and 1.9.2 or something).

If just for SNES roms, you have Dborth's SNES9xGC that works well now with SP2, if you're using SDGecko, get three or four releases backward to get a working iteration (4.4.9, maybe need to get an older version first just to get the settings file created on the SD, then updating will be OK).

For all Sega from pre-SMS to MD/32x/CD, genplus GX is very good at it.
Thank You, I have made an issue on the Retroarch Github page here: https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/13264
Standalone emulators seem to run fine, your right, it's something specifically wrong with the GC Retroarch port.. I've been testing on the latest nightly builds.

Do ANY Cores work for you with the latest release?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:24 pm

None of those I tested worked. (as of 1.9.10 or something)
My base test is Theodore, as I have had it running for a while, then if it works, I try the others.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Ploggy

Post by Ploggy » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:41 pm

Retroarch GC does Work, Download the latest build from the Buildbot and extract the contents of the Retroarch folder (not the Retroarch folder itself) to the root of your SD Card, now load your Core Dol of choice from Swiss, once Retroarch has loaded disable Always Reload Core on Run Content in Settings>Core then Save Configuration.
Then Load Content/Game.. it will restart the Console like usual.
Load the Core Dol from Swiss again, then Load Content/Game again.. this time it should load the game. :) (Don't know why you have to run it twice)

NOTE1:For some reason the Controller acts like Autofire is enabled for every Button (Analogs work fine) ;)

NOTE2: You may have to Compress the Dol file with Dolxz.. I did this but I'm not 100% sure its needed. (Do it just incase)

EDIT:

Cores I got to load a Game with this method..
Snes - Snes9x2005_plus - no sound, forced autofire
Nes - Nestopia - forced autofire
Gb - Gambatte - forced autofire
Master System - Smsplus - forced autofire
Gens - Picodrive - forced autofire
Neo Geo Pocket - Mednafen Ngp - forced autofire
Wonderswan - Mednafen Wswan - forced autofire
PC Engine - Mednafen Pce Fast - forced autofire
Thompson - Theodore - forced autofire

Cores I cant get to load a Game with this method..
Snes9x Current or 2010
Fba 2012 CPS2 (could be bad romset)
Mgba
Vgba
Gpsp
Genesisplusgx
Mame2000 (could be bad romset)

There are still loads of Cores left but these are the ones I've tried myself.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:53 pm

Nice! Managed to run Theodore with the 1.15.0 build from SWISS r1443, with only disabling "always reload core".

No dol compression, no cores in the root folder, no autofire issue (While this last could be that I already have settings files on the SD card, I wanted to use a clean card for testing purpose, but it didn't want to work…).

Also, still wonder about the video settings why:
Retroarch can't switch between 50 and 60 Hz, it is stuck to what is set in SWISS at launch.
Default video settings are wayyy over what a GC can display, so two or three bottom lines are cropped off the menus.
There is no Passthrough video option when a core emulates a machine that was designed to output to a TV (the typical GCN use, and native output)