Greetings from Xbox Linux

Anything before or after the GameCube!
andre104623

Re: Greetings from Xbox Linux

Post by andre104623 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:29 pm

badsector wrote:Password could be AYBX -> http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/xbo ... -disc-usa/
Thank you I will try it when I get home. So your SATA HDD would not work with a 40-pin IDE it had to be a 80-pin? I want to put a 1TB in this xbox at some point I bought a 250GB WD2500JB which is on the list of hard drives that will work with softmods. So I'm saving that for my sons Xbox since his is a 1.6b. Crazy how fast kids grow up he saw me taking interest in my xbox so he went out and mowed some lawns and bought his own xbox I was shocked to say the least
badsector

Post by badsector » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:45 pm

andre104623 wrote:So your SATA HDD would not work with a 40-pin IDE it had to be a 80-pin?
Yes, it did not work without a 80 pin cable.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:57 pm

Ok I'm having a lot of problems. The SATA hard drive did work and I formatted it with hexen tool disk made F:/ and G:/ I choose not to lock it. When booting its very very slow and while it does get to EVO dash I can't do anything everything I try to do ends with a error or password. So I put the old 8gb hard drive back in now the slow booting is gone but even though I can play surreal64 I can't play any xbox games at all not even on hard drive. XBMC says its not installed I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. When I installed the modchip yesterday and first booted it was in the normal dash menu but it had that EVOx symbol while booting and I was able to play backup's fine I played Halo burned to a disk. After i ran the hexen tool disk and flashed EVO-M8 F:/ BIOS 256KB is when all the problems started.

I need a 80-pin IDE cable for the SATA hard drive so it can be fast and work right

Edit: All problems fixed and games are working. I do need a 80-pin IDE and I'm going to look around for a 1TB hard drive the adapter I have works just fine and fits well.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:33 pm

Read the hexen manual - it's usually a password to protect the uneducated from killing their xbox.

My xbox from the first post is gathering dust until I either fix the drive or give up on using it for linux, it has unleashX at the moment but so do my other 2, wanted this one to be different :P
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:51 am

emu_kidid wrote:Read the hexen manual - it's usually a password to protect the uneducated from killing their xbox.

My xbox from the first post is gathering dust until I either fix the drive or give up on using it for linux, it has unleashX at the moment but so do my other 2, wanted this one to be different :P
What's stopping you from fixing or replacing the drive. Can't you just put any DVD drive in or better yet grab the model number from your drive and look on ebay. Most likely just a old computer drive which I starting to find out for myself as I'm getting better using and installing stuff on here that's all this console is. A locked down computer with the most messed up filesystem I have ever worked with but once I got past its crap factor its fine now. You know what was fucking me up from the start bad flash? No Bad HDD? No Defective ModChip? No. It was the parental lock!? Like forget the modchip I soldered and Upgraded hard drive I put in and the BIOS I flashed that parental lock is some serious security. Once I locked the hard drive I was able to boot into normal Dashboard and figure out the password. Yeah about the passwords on the EVOx and unleashX I know they were there to protect users in 2004 but now in 2015 it's not so easy finding this stuff anymore most download links are dead or spam. So thanks to badsector for giving me the AYBX password I was able to enter the menus I needed to get to. Still can't find the other password though I gave up on Hexen and found Slyer 2.7 was outdated but after making XBMC my main dashboard I updated it though FTP.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:50 am

andre104623 wrote:Yeah about the passwords on the EVOx and unleashX I know they were there to protect users in 2004 but now in 2015
you overestimate the user base
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:42 pm

megalomaniac wrote:
andre104623 wrote:Yeah about the passwords on the EVOx and unleashX I know they were there to protect users in 2004 but now in 2015
you overestimate the user base
Well I would think a lot of people that were using modded xbox's switched to a more modern console such as a JTAG/RGH xbox 360. But it still works very well as a media center.
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:09 pm

I don't really see the point of using it as a media center since it's not an HD capable console (maybe on component output you can get 1080i but that's all).
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:12 pm

Streetwalker wrote:I don't really see the point of using it as a media center since it's not an HD capable console (maybe on component output you can get 1080i but that's all).
I get HD with component cables 720p, 1080i. Yes its a very good media center since I can stream video's and tv shows from my PC to the xbox. Of course there are better media centers like my ps3 with REBUG 4.60 and showtime but its a 60gb first gen PS3 never YLOD so I'm trying to keep it safe.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:04 pm

It doesn't have the horsepower to decode HD video files though, so there's little point using that resolution when the only playable content is much smaller.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:32 pm

tueidj wrote:It doesn't have the horsepower to decode HD video files though, so there's little point using that resolution when the only playable content is much smaller.
I really don't notice any problems when I play HD content. Maybe I'm getting old and my eyes are not as good as they use to be. It looks HD to me I been watching family guy and some movies that I don't think I'm supposed to be watching at home yet ;). I'm really been thinking about upgrading the ram since it looks fairly easy to solder. I found the chips http://www.ebay.com/itm/261329345781?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT there not to much money but I'm not upgrading the CPU because I heard most xbox games won't run. The Xbox Dev units have 128mb of ram so I wouldn't think that any games would have problems running. I ask before about the ram upgrade here but after reading some topics on se7ensins XBMC does make use of the extra ram so does surreal64 6.0

I don't use the 1080i since it looks like shit but 720p looks great
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:18 pm

You could shrink family guy down to a postage stamp size resolution and not notice any loss of details. Same goes for bootleg movies shot by someone with a camcorder on their lap in a cinema. I'm guessing they're crappy xvid avi files.
Proper HD content is at least 720p H264, but preferably Blu-Ray resolution (1080p). 128MB would barely be enough for that, but there's definitely no way the CPU could handle it.
If you want a good media player you're better off getting a cheap OUYA for less than $50 (there's plenty of people trying to get rid of them). It runs XBMC (/Kodi) with hardware accelerated decoding, 802.11n wifi and HDMI output.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:49 pm

tueidj wrote:You could shrink family guy down to a postage stamp size resolution and not notice any loss of details. Same goes for bootleg movies shot by someone with a camcorder on their lap in a cinema. I'm guessing they're crappy xvid avi files.
Proper HD content is at least 720p H264, but preferably Blu-Ray resolution (1080p). 128MB would barely be enough for that, but there's definitely no way the CPU could handle it.
If you want a good media player you're better off getting a cheap OUYA for less than $50 (there's plenty of people trying to get rid of them). It runs XBMC (/Kodi) with hardware accelerated decoding, 802.11n wifi and HDMI output.
I don't watch cams there horrible. I wait for a leak DVD or Blu-ray rip. Trust me I know of many media centers that run android that can do 1080p I think my rasberrypie can but they don't run xbox games. You have to understand that I'm a game console collector I have so many ways to run movies but whats the topic today the xbox so right now I'm playing around with that. I have a list of game consoles I need to get to with mods or repair mostly mods and when I got to the gamecube I went a little crazy and I'm still hooked on doing more.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:25 pm

andre104623 wrote:But it still works very well as a media center.
This is what you were talking about, and I strongly disagree because it's ancient hardware that can't play current media. There's certainly no way you're using it to play blu-ray rips.
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:28 pm

Yeah, even my 2.8GHz pentium 4 box can't handle high bitrate h264, there's no way the Xbox could. The reason why android based devices can is because they have a dedicated decoding unit and have access to multiple cores and modern SIMD extensions for software decoding. My tablet (tegra 3 nexus 7) freaks out when I throw 30bpp 720p at it (that has to be decoded in software because hardware still doesn't support hi10p).
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:23 pm

Hardware decoders will probably never support hi10 profile because they only care about blu-ray compatibility (1920x1080@60fps max). A nexus 7 should be able to handle it in software though... through my work I know there are definitely proprietary decoders that can do it, open source (ffmpeg etc.) probably just needs to catch up.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:25 pm

tueidj wrote:
andre104623 wrote:But it still works very well as a media center.
This is what you were talking about, and I strongly disagree because it's ancient hardware that can't play current media. There's certainly no way you're using it to play blu-ray rips.
What I mean by blu-ray rip is I download a movie from a torrent site that was ripped from a blu-ray. The file is like 1.5gb not 45gb that a real blu-ray rip is
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:36 pm

tueidj wrote:Hardware decoders will probably never support hi10 profile because they only care about blu-ray compatibility (1920x1080@60fps max). A nexus 7 should be able to handle it in software though... through my work I know there are definitely proprietary decoders that can do it, open source (ffmpeg etc.) probably just needs to catch up.
It works but with frame drops, crazy heat and some times insane lag.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:50 am

Tomorrow im getting started on the 1.6b xbox will report how it goes. Also once the ram chips come in i will post some comparisons between 64mb and 128mb becuase i dont know if you guys know of the hugh benefits of the mod. There is some games i really want to play that you need that extra ram
Last edited by andre104623 on Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:32 am

Even my 1GHz 128MB RAM Xbox can't handle proper 720p without lag, so I doubt the stock 733MHz / 64MB would handle it. Yeah, I need to hunt a drive down for this xbox or just give up on it and make it dedicated w/o drive.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:58 am

emu_kidid wrote:Even my 1GHz 128MB RAM Xbox can't handle proper 720p without lag, so I doubt the stock 733MHz / 64MB would handle it. Yeah, I need to hunt a drive down for this xbox or just give up on it and make it dedicated w/o drive.
all right I think I got the point. So the HD or ED isn't up there with the newer consoles or media centers but everything I have ran on here has run very well so I'm happy. Over at se7ensins people there told me that the ram upgrade is the best think to do if you want emu's running faster and XBMC being able to muti-task while still playing videos. It's a 25 dollar mod can't really lose out on that one. I see a lot of people with a 1ghz CPU and 128mb ram and they can't play xbox games because of the way the games are made. Sucks I have a intel pentium 4 1.4 ghz that I do believe would fit on the board. If I was running linux I would go all in and say fuck it lets mod this thing to the max but I got a lot of xbox games that i want to play still.

If your willing emu I could send you a real xbox drive if it would help you. Its a tg600 first gen and I put a new laser in it. You have helped me out these past few months so I have no problem sending it to you.
I'll pm you
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:52 am

Yeah - I have a 1GHz, it's nice for the games you can patch to work with the faster clock, but there's some that refuse to play at all like the GTA series. For that reason I have two xboxes that I play on, one stock CPU with 128MB RAM, and another with 1GHz and 128MB RAM for homebrew.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:01 am

I'm having major issues with my ram upgrade. I know the solder joints are fine I did them 5 times and looked at every joint with a magnifying glass for shorts. When I turn the Xbox on lights up once green then again green then again green flashing no video. My ram chips I ordered are the same except my Xbox chips read Samsung 223 and the ones I ordered read Samsung 301 but the rest of the numbers are the same. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:28 am

I know you say the soldering is fine, but check everything again and again. The boot sequence you're describing only happens when there's something major going wrong like a short across voltage lines to GND.

If it booted further I'd recommend that new Xbox mod which can detect which chip is malfunctioning, I forget the name of it..
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:32 pm

emu_kidid wrote:I know you say the soldering is fine, but check everything again and again. The boot sequence you're describing only happens when there's something major going wrong like a short across voltage lines to GND.

If it booted further I'd recommend that new Xbox mod which can detect which chip is malfunctioning, I forget the name of it..
I'm going to have to check each pin with a muitmeter. hopefully I can figure this out oh and I sent your package Emu I forgot to send you a PM but no tracking because it was 20 dollars more