GCDiskDumper

All your homebrew software needs & discussion
happy_bunny

GCDiskDumper

Post by happy_bunny » Sat May 23, 2015 8:46 am

I wanted to see if it was possible to dump the gamecubes disk's data content using an old xbox360 drive. I had this idea after looking at the friidump source code, this program uses Hitachi vendor defined debug commands to read / dump the raw data sectors of the gamecube disks. The old xbox360 drive I had was a Hitachi GDR3120L/0047 this drive was not supported by friidump but it looked close enough.

So I created GCDiskDumper from the friidump code its basically a cut down version of friidump that supported the GC only (you can add the wii code back in if you feel like it) and adds the extra Hitachi xbox 360 drive.

I hacked the drive code on my Hitachi xbox 360 drive so that it reads the disks BCA area as well ;) it looks encrypted though :( details of my research / GCDiskDumper are here

http://www.staffs2.webspace.virginmedia ... dumper.htm
Last edited by happy_bunny on Sat May 23, 2015 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
megalomaniac

Re: GCDiskDumper

Post by megalomaniac » Sat May 23, 2015 9:23 am

nice..
what kind of dump times do you get?
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
happy_bunny

Post by happy_bunny » Sat May 23, 2015 10:39 am

its slower then I thought it would be 1.2 - 1.5 hours to dump a disk. For so some reason the 360 drive only likes to read 4 sectors at a time not 5 like the other Hitachi drives supported by friidump, which I think slows it down a little compared to the other supported drives.
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Sun May 24, 2015 8:41 pm

happy_bunny wrote:its slower then I thought it would be 1.2 - 1.5 hours to dump a disk. For so some reason the 360 drive only likes to read 4 sectors at a time not 5 like the other Hitachi drives supported by friidump, which I think slows it down a little compared to the other supported drives.
Did you try using even numbers or multiples of 4? I'm just guessing but maybe maybe there is a better way to read the data out quicker. A different method maybe...