Viper GC

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
skel28

Re: Viper GC

Post by skel28 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:31 pm

@emu_kidid thank you very much. Appreciated.

Cheers

Stay safe.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:01 am

emu_kidid wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:25 pm
Swiss won't fit, but you can use iplboot as a replacement BIOS on the ViperGC and it will attempt to load a DOL from a SD card on startup instead. I believe you can write .vgc files via DVD-R onto the viper if you don't have the programmer or a parallel port. Here it is: https://github.com/redolution/iplboot/releases

There's a copy floating around here with SP2SD support, try to find it in other threads.
The uncompressed .dol has been posted there, but I doubt the compressed version has been publicly released, Ledu205 gave me an adress from where to download the bare .dol via MP, as it was considered WIP and all the licence disclaimers and source code were not with it, and this link is now dead.
I don't want to monopolize as I may be the only one aside from Ledu205 to have the compressed .dol, and would be happy to share, but I don't want to do something wrong regarding copyrights. :oops:
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
M4rk_Rent0n

Post by M4rk_Rent0n » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:20 pm

Hi all,

Juste a simple question : if i flash my viper gc (no extreme) with iplboot, can i restore cobra os later (via dvd or something else) ?

Also, I try to use the "plugin A&B" (already install when i buy this cube) to load some dol from memory card (bigben 64Mo, no gecko for the moment) but nothing appear in sd card loader menu (sometime it display a weird character, but even if i press A nothing appened...) i've use swiss to transfert the dol from sd2sp2 to memory card. I try from both A & B slot. In original bios both work and reconnize my memory card, even show me the dol icon ! What i'm doing wrong ?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:03 pm

M4rk_Rent0n wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:20 pm
Hi all,

Juste a simple question : if i flash my viper gc (no extreme) with iplboot, can i restore cobra os later (via dvd or something else) ?

Also, I try to use the "plugin A&B" (already install when i buy this cube) to load some dol from memory card (bigben 64Mo, no gecko for the moment) but nothing appear in sd card loader menu (sometime it display a weird character, but even if i press A nothing appened...) i've use swiss to transfert the dol from sd2sp2 to memory card. I try from both A & B slot. In original bios both work and reconnize my memory card, even show me the dol icon ! What i'm doing wrong ?
You can get back to Cobra with the parallel port flasher only at that point.

SD Loader I assume is the SDLoad slot a/b plugin, this expects a SDSC (e.g. 2GB or less) SD card to be plugged into a memory card slot using a SD to memory card slot adaptor running FAT16 I believe.
M4rk_Rent0n

Post by M4rk_Rent0n » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:36 pm

emu_kidid wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:03 pm

You can get back to Cobra with the parallel port flasher only at that point.
Ok :? i don't have this parallele port on mine so, not for me! (but i have rear usb port...with nothing to connect the chip :| really disapointing...)
emu_kidid wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:03 pm

SD Loader I assume is the SDLoad slot a/b plugin, this expects a SDSC (e.g. 2GB or less) SD card to be plugged into a memory card slot using a SD to memory card slot adaptor running FAT16 I believe.
Yes you're think right, that is the explanation i needed, thank you for taking time to help me. Need a gecko now. :mrgreen:

off topic: a big thank you for this forum and all the information it contains ;)
brunops3

Post by brunops3 » Sun May 17, 2020 1:24 am

Hi guys. I really hope someone post here the compressed dol/vgc files (< 128 kb) of the latest revision of iplboot (with SD2SP2 support) for using with the Viper GC (not Extreme).

In addition, I have a few questions:

1) Is it possible to use Viper GC (not Extreme) without the Gamecube optical drive (using iplboot as a replacement BIOS on the Viper GC)?

2) If yes, is the instalation of the modchip on Gamecube the same (4 wires to solder and a solder bridge)?

3) What about the two connectors of the lid sensor switch on Viper GC modchip? Just leave them disconnected or do I need to bridge it to simulate the lid always closed?

4) Does the latest revision of iplboot (which boots from SD2SP2) support SDHD/SDXC or just SDSC (2GB or less)?

Could you help me?

Thank you.
brunops3

Post by brunops3 » Mon May 18, 2020 8:01 pm

Sorry, but I have two more questions:

5) What is the voltage of Viper GC (not Extreme) modchip?

6) I know the Gamecube console must be switched on to flash Viper GC BIOS through PC using parallel port. But I don't have the stock FFC and my cable is only 10cm. Is it possible to feed the Viper GC modchip with the correct voltage using the PC power supply and then flash BIOS, without the modchip connected to Gamecube console?

Thank you.

EDIT:

Actually my FFC cable is 5cm. And lastly...

7) I could also lend an Gamecube optical drive modded with Xeno GC to flash the BIOS of the Viper GC through DVD. Will it work or Xeno and Viper mods will conflict?

8) If it works (lend the optical drive modded with Xeno GC), how should I connect the lid sensor switch? To Viper GC and then to the optical drive, ou directly to the optical drive leaving it disconnected to Viper GC?
sakax

Post by sakax » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:06 am

RazorX2014 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:22 pm
kublai wrote:Does anyone know if a Cobra v2.1 ISO exists? I lost my USB adapter for my Viper GC so I have to upgrade via the DVD. I was able to upgrade my BIOS to v1.6 via the DVD but I'm unable to upgrade to v2.1 since it's only a .vgc file. I tried making a ISO9660 but the disc explorer keeps saying unknown file system. I tried adding the .vgc file to the v1.6 ISO but it made the file size to like 200k instead of the original size of 1.4GB when I saved the ISO. Any help is appreciated.
hi i dont have the iso but when messing with my viper extreme i found the best way was to use a games iso to add the files on for updating the viper and adding themes so i made this iso for you with the updates in so let me know if it works for you.
i maybe wrong but i believe the disc explorer only supports gamecube format discs.

the download is 10mb but when unpacked its the correct 1.35gb then put it in your gamecube and use the disc explorerr then go into the Viper-GC folder and inside you will find:
cobra21.vgc
cobra21_drive20010608.vgc
cobra21_drive20020402.vgc
cobra21_drive20020823.vgc

if you need anymore help let me know, i should point out although i used a gamecube game iso as a base i removed pretty much all the game so it wont boot or anything but you should be able to use it with disc explorer to achieve what you wanted.

Download:
Here
can you explain how you made this issue? i can no longer deal with the usb frustrations of this viper chip. i would like to update the swiss dol in my flash but my data disks are never recognized...
DOL-001-PAL - GCVideo3.1 - powered by shinehax & swiss
Cornholio

Post by Cornholio » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:53 pm

Hi all!
New user on the forum.

Found this thread during my google search for more information.
I'm new to the modding scene in general. Infact, the only chipped console I own is the Gamecube mentioned below that I just aquired.
(Please excuse me, I'm Flemisch but I'll try my best to write in understandable English :)
skel28 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:10 pm
May I please ask what is potentially an embarassing question?
I have a working Viper mod (not the USB but the original Parallel port version).
It's on a cube I had long ago lost, but have found it again.
Now it was on Cobra 1.6 and through some experimentation I have updated it to 2.1.
All good.
I also have an sp2sd and I boot my Swiss disk and away she goes. However I think I'm correct in that Swiss itself can be loaded on the Viper?
Would anyone help this lost man please in how I do this? I can't work out what file I need from the swiss downloads nor how to get it onto the viper chip.
I'm willing to accept I've got it all wrong.
Feel free to mock me if I've missed something blindingly obvious though.

Thank you all.
Please stay safe and well in these 'interesting times' we currently live in.
I'm kinda in the same situation: scored a GC with a Viper mod already installed (on Cobra 1.2 at the moment). It also came with the parallel port programmer for it... and I ordered a SD2SP2 to go with it.

But now...
Would like to be able to boot Swiss without needing a disc, but I have no idea where to start :roll:
I've read something about plugins for the Viper/Cobra and I believe that's the way to do it but then I'm stuck.
Papy.G wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:01 am
emu_kidid wrote:
Swiss won't fit, but you can use iplboot as a replacement BIOS on the ViperGC and it will attempt to load a DOL from a SD card on startup instead. I believe you can write .vgc files via DVD-R onto the viper if you don't have the programmer or a parallel port. Here it is: https://github.com/redolution/iplboot/releases

There's a copy floating around here with SP2SD support, try to find it in other threads.
The uncompressed .dol has been posted there, but I doubt the compressed version has been publicly released, Ledu205 gave me an adress from where to download the bare .dol via MP, as it was considered WIP and all the licence disclaimers and source code were not with it, and this link is now dead.
I don't want to monopolize as I may be the only one aside from Ledu205 to have the compressed .dol, and would be happy to share, but I don't want to do something wrong regarding copyrights. :oops:
Would that be the file I need to be able to boot Swiss without the need of a disk?
If so, I'd appreciate it a lot if you'd be willing to share it (and kindly explain to me what exactly I'm supposed to do with it like I'm a 5-year old :lol: )

Thanks & stay safe everyone!
Nextria

Post by Nextria » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:50 pm

Hello all,

I hope someone can help me. I got a gc viper xtreme.
When I turn on the gc I just get a black screen.

When I disconnect the chip the gc normally boots do I know it’s Something with the chip.

I try think it maybe a a bad flash from the previous owner.
So I try to flash it again. On my win xp it installs the drivers and sees the viper chip but when I try to flash a bios to it I get a error
That the viper is found but the dip switch 2 is not set to on
Or it can’t communicate go the chip.

The dip switch is set to on, is there a other way to flash the chip ?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:16 pm

Cornholio wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:53 pm
Hi all!
New user on the forum.
Spoiler
Show
Found this thread during my google search for more information.
I'm new to the modding scene in general. Infact, the only chipped console I own is the Gamecube mentioned below that I just aquired.
(Please excuse me, I'm Flemisch but I'll try my best to write in understandable English :)
skel28 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:10 pm
May I please ask what is potentially an embarassing question?
I have a working Viper mod (not the USB but the original Parallel port version).
It's on a cube I had long ago lost, but have found it again.
Now it was on Cobra 1.6 and through some experimentation I have updated it to 2.1.
All good.
I also have an sp2sd and I boot my Swiss disk and away she goes. However I think I'm correct in that Swiss itself can be loaded on the Viper?
Would anyone help this lost man please in how I do this? I can't work out what file I need from the swiss downloads nor how to get it onto the viper chip.
I'm willing to accept I've got it all wrong.
Feel free to mock me if I've missed something blindingly obvious though.

Thank you all.
Please stay safe and well in these 'interesting times' we currently live in.
I'm kinda in the same situation: scored a GC with a Viper mod already installed (on Cobra 1.2 at the moment). It also came with the parallel port programmer for it... and I ordered a SD2SP2 to go with it.

But now...
Would like to be able to boot Swiss without needing a disc, but I have no idea where to start :roll:
I've read something about plugins for the Viper/Cobra and I believe that's the way to do it but then I'm stuck.
Papy.G wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:01 am
emu_kidid wrote:

Would that be the file I need to be able to boot Swiss without the need of a disk?
If so, I'd appreciate it a lot if you'd be willing to share it (and kindly explain to me what exactly I'm supposed to do with it like I'm a 5-year old :lol: )

Thanks & stay safe everyone!
Welcome!

The ViperGC has 128KB of flash, you're left with about 40KB for a "plugin" when using the Cobra BIOS. IPLBoot manages to fit in this space but not a version of it that will allow SD2SP2 support. Papy claims there's a version that is out there that fits and supports the slot but I'm yet to see it.

Another option for you is to buy a WiiSD memory card slot adaptor and use the existing IPLBoot.cbp (the plugin) as it does support Slot A and Slot B.
Nextria wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:50 pm
On my win xp it installs the drivers and sees the viper chip but when I try to flash a bios to it I get a error
What's the error?
Cornholio

Post by Cornholio » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:09 am

emu_kidid wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:16 pm

Welcome!
Thank You :)
emu_kidid wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:16 pm

The ViperGC has 128KB of flash, you're left with about 40KB for a "plugin" when using the Cobra BIOS. IPLBoot manages to fit in this space but not a version of it that will allow SD2SP2 support. Papy claims there's a version that is out there that fits and supports the slot but I'm yet to see it.

Another option for you is to buy a WiiSD memory card slot adaptor and use the existing IPLBoot.cbp (the plugin) as it does support Slot A and Slot B.
Thank you for your reply!

I'd prefer to keep the memory slots available solely for memory cards (one for US/EUR games and one for JAP games :))

Would another OS (instead of Cobra) give me the features that I'm looking for (direct boot of Swiss or access to the SD2SP2)?

(In the mean time I'm trying to get a Viper GC Extreme modchip but it's not easy :roll: )
Last edited by Cornholio on Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
webhdx

Post by webhdx » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:53 am

Honestly the best thing is IPLBoot. It makes your GC boot almost instantly to Swiss (or any other homebrew of choice). Sadly version supporting SD2SP2 is too big to fit in the flash. I doubt anyone managed to compile smaller version, it's not as straight forward as it may seem. I haven't seen anyone post a link to it at least.
Cornholio

Post by Cornholio » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:45 pm

Thank you as well for your reply :)
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:18 pm

Well, I have been the recipient of some trials and error to reach SD2SP2 compatibility.

I hoped the authors would then spread those in public place when confirmed to work, what they didn't all do.

So I look today as a fool bragging around about software pieces nobody have seen in real life, and this is really silly, to say the least.

Now I assume that those were programmed to hit the most people and that they won't blame me for sharing it today.

Here is the most interresting one, as it is smaller than 128kB, it needs SWISS to be named IPL.dol at the root of the SD card.

If NiHuSu's autoexec version could be compressed (if it isn't already), it may be even smaller, but this one is supposed to support USBGecko as well, though I don't have the hardware to test this.
Ledu205iplcomp.gci.zip
compressed Ledu205's modified IPL boot
(76.21 KiB) Downloaded 749 times
Enjoy!
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Cornholio

Post by Cornholio » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:10 pm

@Papy.G

Thank you very much for sharing!

Since your were the tester of this piece of software, could you write down a small tutorial on how to use it?
Like I said I'm a noob as this is my first modded console... :roll:

I have a GC with (the regular) Viper GC installed
I have the parallel port programmer
The SD2SP2 is still in the mail

I will order a USB <> parallel port adaptor right now (I hope it works on Windows 10 :? )

But then what do I do...?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:24 pm

I've also been messing with IPLBoot trying to get it to fit as a VGC, made some progress but ran into a problem I'm looking to resolve soon.
Nextria

Post by Nextria » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:08 am

Hey

I get an error it found the Viper USB, but cant communicate with the chip.
I checked the flatcable with my multimeter, and have continuity on all the lines.

On the chip it also lights up the blue led.

The dip switch is set too two,gamecube is on and i also tried other combinations but still get this error.

Nextria wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:50 pm
On my win xp it installs the drivers and sees the viper chip but when I try to flash a bios to it I get a error
What's the error?
[/quote]
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:33 am

Cornholio wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:10 pm
Since your were the tester of this piece of software, could you write down a small tutorial on how to use it?

I have a GC with (the regular) Viper GC installed
I only tested the full version off a game save exploit on memcard in Slot A to boot SWISS off a Slot B SDGecko, then off an SD2SP2. Then Ledu205 gave me a compressed .dol version, that I had to convert to .gci.
I put the .GCI files with GCMM 1.4f loaded from a letterbomb exploit on an unmodded Wii, or from SWISS loaded from a GameSaveExploit on a GC (GCMM 1.4g b2 needed if you only have an SD2SP2 and no SDGecko at all).
That's all about that, no more.
It still has to be fitted into a flashable form for a Viper, provided compressed dols can be run off it.
Still, I cant' say more, as I don't want to modchip my cubes.
Many advanced ViperGC users may debunk this, now this forwarder is available, so you won't have to wait for too long.
emu_kidid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:24 pm
I've also been messing with IPLBoot trying to get it to fit as a VGC, made some progress but ran into a problem I'm looking to resolve soon.
I suspect NiHuSu's brosexec version is not compressed, Ledu205 IPLboot was 18 blocks before compresion, and got down to 10 after, so with only 15 blocs to begin with, it may be even smaller.

I know it would be an egg-chicken riddle, but what about a very tiny patch that just forwards to a Boot.gci on slot-A memcard at first, so that it would fit on the smallest flash equipped chips, then, anyone can put whatever suits him as boot.gci. (The smallest GameSave Exploit, that does almost that, is only 3 blocks big.)

On the other hand, this is hard to believe a piece of code that just has to scan for a media, then scan its FAT to find a specific file and read it has to be this big, even if the file system architecture is not available in the host machine's ROM. :?

At least why the generated code has to be this bigger with added SP2 capability compared to previous versions? If the code is clean and optimized, then the new compilers might fill space with useless bloat somewhere. :roll:

Cornholio

Post by Cornholio » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:47 am

Papy.G wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:33 am

I only tested the full version off a game save exploit on memcard in Slot A to boot SWISS off a Slot B SDGecko, then off an SD2SP2. Then Ledu205 gave me a compressed .dol version, that I had to convert to .gci.
I put the .GCI files with GCMM 1.4f loaded from a letterbomb exploit on an unmodded Wii, or from SWISS loaded from a GameSaveExploit on a GC (GCMM 1.4g b2 needed if you only have an SD2SP2 and no SDGecko at all).
That's all about that, no more.
It still has to be fitted into a flashable form for a Viper, provided compressed dols can be run off it.
Thank you for the effort of explaining it, but this still sounds like Chinese to me :lol:

I don't have a SDGecko or anything like it.
I was hoping it would be possible to boot into Swiss directly with just the ViperGC and a SD2SP2 installed (without the need for a disc).
I'd like to keep my memorycard slots free for actual memory cards (one for EUR/USA games and one for JAP games).
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:38 pm

It's not that direct, but booting from a game exploit, such as Zelda WindWaker doesn't take very long, if you have an NTSC cube, Japanese version of this game is quite cheap.
The second memory card slot should be used for so much more than just a second memory card I cannot disagree, Microphone, AdvancedGamePort, Animal Crossing SD card reader… (dance mats maybe?)
I don't know if it is safe to keep both Latin and Japanese memcards in the console at the same time, but I know you can make people from a save join another party in Final Fantasy Cristal Chronicles.

Cornholio

Post by Cornholio » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:03 pm

I was under the impression that using save game exploits was only needed for “soft modding” so without using a modchip?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:38 pm

Sure, it isn't needed anymore as you have a modchip, but you can still use a save game exploit as long as you can read original game discs.

Cornholio

Post by Cornholio » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:42 am

Well I didn't find (an affordable) Gamecube with Viper GC Extreme mod but I did find one with a Quib Pro installed. So I'll go and try this route to try and get to my goal. Any help/info is highly appreciated :)

In the mean time I did find (and bought) an original -new in the box- Viper XCM transparent clear top case :P Guess I won't be needing this one anymore so if anyone is interested...
brunops3

Post by brunops3 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:04 pm

emu_kidid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:24 pm
Hi emu_kidid. Any progress with the IPLBoot supporting SD2SP2 fitting on 128kb VGC?

Thx