Re: Qoob Chip

Post by renanbianchi » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:59 pm

Undead Sega wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:24 pm
renanbianchi wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:28 pm
emu_kidid wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:48 am
yeah it's possible, if you could create an issue/feature request on the github issue tracker I can probably work on it
Thanks! I just did that and i'll open another one about GCM Ripping.
Heey renanbianchi!

Good to see you back here again :)
I'm always here, just hidden in the shadows haha
Undead Sega

Post by Undead Sega » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:04 am

Papy.G wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:25 am
The 8051 is a very versatile µC, quite impressive for its time (second generation of intel's "single-chip Microcomputer", back at the beginning of the 80's), and to begin, it can run programs off its internal memory, off an external one, or from both, if you don't know how it is done on the design you want to modify or clone, you're lost. And it's just one of the three chips that can support many configuration schemes.
I don't know about asics, but this one probably deals with the way the Flash chip is accessed by the 8051, since it can't directly adress more than 64kB of data and 64kB of code on its external memory bus (except if expanded 16bit commands are used), it may also host a letterbox system and some other buffers and bus logic.
The Xeno GC is based on an AVR µC, I don't know that familly, but it seems it can't adress external memory other than SPI based, because of the 28pin package, and that limits its speed if not the memory size.

With such a low background on the subject, wanting to do what you suggest is way high, you have better use your Qoob as it is or wait for Hyperboot PNP, you'll loose less time and money re-thinking things that other people more advanced have already done.

I have begun such a project, beginning from nothing and wanting to turn a phoneline terminal into a computer (8051 based :P ) after a short study that lead me to the conclusion not only it was feasible, but it was indeed anticipated from the MB design step! 8-)
I had to dig out the 8051 and VDP documentations, reverse-engineer the motherboard of various models, but now I'm stuck at the Rom study, because the learning curve is so hard, and it is very time consuming!
Undead Sega wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:22 pm
Papy.G wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:02 am
That depends on what you mean by Qoob bios. The way the "chip" behaves is dictated by the code contained in the 89C51 rom (it is internal flash, as suggested by the 9, 80C51 would be a OTP one, for example) combined with the ASIC configuration and board topology. If you want to know where the payload (the code injected in the gamecube to "fool" it, it is probably somewhere in this 29xx chip.
What I meant by Qoob bios is the actual Qoob file(s). And if you say these are in the AM29LB160DB, then what is the purpose of the ASIC and 89C51 chips (and what code is in this)?
Application Specific Integrated Circuit is quite self-explanatory, the rest of the answer was already in my previous answer. ;)
Sorry for bringing this up again but this got me thinking.

Basing on what you're saying, SWISS came into my mind.

Since it's apparently possible to flash it on the Qoob chip, how does the other ICs work once that's done?

I'm asking because surely whatever "code" are in the ICs wouldn't work once SWISS is on the flash chip. In fact, does it even need the others ICs in order for it to work?
yoppie

Post by yoppie » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:33 am

please help, i want to use swiss boot off dvd with qoob sx, how to update to iplboot5.2 using disc or how to create boot update disc, thanks
Liriel

Post by Liriel » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:09 am

yoppie wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:33 am
please help, i want to use swiss boot off dvd with qoob sx, how to update to iplboot5.2 using disc or how to create boot update disc, thanks
Srz when late.

There is no new IPLboot that boot from sd2sp2.
The only methode is to have a Sd Card with swiss as a ipl. Dol in slot b.

The creater of the ipl boot has never released the ipl boot for Qoob that boot swiss from Serial Port 2.

With a qoob sx without IPLboot you could only boot swiss with a boot DVD.
Then you should have the current swiss Version as a boot.Dol on the micro sd card.
The Swiss on the DVD can found this an Boot that current version
Cornholio

Post by Cornholio » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:14 am

Hi all

After buying a GameCube with Viper GC installed, not knowing about the existance of an Extreme version, and being dissapointed about the possibilities of this modchip I searched, found and bought a GameCube with a Qoob Pro installed (including the USB programmer) and even equipped with a XCM top cover + original controller and cabling (paid 150€ for it, I believe that's an OK price?).

In my search for more info about this particular chip I ended up here and have read through the entire thread.

I am however a noob so it's not all clear to me.

What I want to achieve:
1. Still being able to play genuine disk games (from all regions), mostly for quick test purposes
2. (Auto)Boot Swiss from SD2SP2
3. Have the settings for Swiss stored on the SD-card in the SD2SP2
4. Being able to play backups and homebrew of the SD2SP2 with save functionality
5. Use cheats when desired
(6. Maintain the possibility to use a broadband adapter -if I ever find an affordable one)

Ideal boot sequence:
1. No disc > boot Swiss
2. Disc detected > Choice to boot disk or boot Swiss

I haven't received the GC yet so can't do much atm but I would like to be prepared when it shows up :)

If I understand correctly I should:
a. flash Swiss to an empty slot on the Qoob Pro?
b. flash iplboot to an empty slot on the Qoob Pro?
c. I'm an idiot, none of the above but instead... ;)

Have been searching but couldn't find a definitive noob-guide regarding the Qoob Pro and it's possibilities.
Once I've figured it out maybe I'll write one for others like me :D

Any help/info is appreciated!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:24 am

Flash Swiss to an empty slot on the Qoob Pro, when booting up, hold Y to bring up the flash menu on the Qoob Pro and select Swiss.

For original discs, hold X to bypass the Qoob Pro and go to the original menu.

Basically, don't use the Qoob Bios for anything else :P
Cornholio

Post by Cornholio » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:32 pm

Thank you for your reply!

So I just flash the latest version of Swiss to the chip?
Or does it need to be a specific release?
Can you give a link to it?
:)

I also just bought a GC with a full (top and bottom) Viper XCM case (clear blue). Hope it arrives quickly :D
seeWood

Post by seeWood » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:24 pm

emu_kidid wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:30 pm
netcat on port 4000 as i recall.
Hey emu_kidid can you explain that a lil bit more? I’m not able to update my Qoob sx via network.

Creating backups work over network with BBA.

On netcat I’m using this:
nc.exe 192.168.1.32 4000 -q 0 < iplboot_xz.elf

Im using this version of netcat:
https://github.com/diegocr/netcat

The iplboot file is in the same folder as the nc.exe

Qoob sx shows waiting for network update but nothing happens on the screen.

EDIT: i solved the problem.
KiteLloydFox

Post by KiteLloydFox » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:52 pm

renanbianchi wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:31 am
emu_kidid wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:27 pm
Just put full Swiss or something that can load subsequent DOL files onto your Qoob Pro flash memory and boot the console holding Y to go straight to the flash menu and then choose it. Once loaded, you can then load newer versions of Swiss or even have it autoload if you name it boot.dol and place it on a suitable device root.
Hey, is it possible we get write access to the Qoob Flash through Swiss? I've been flashing mine, but i don't have the usb board, so i'm soldering a usb cable every time i need to flash it, and it's kinda killing me lol.
Hi! I just want to know if you or anyone else had success in accessing Qoob Flash through Swiss. I'm trying to do that since I don't have the USB port on my Qoob Pro or the means to solder a USB cable on it. I'm sorry if I'm asking something that was already answered, but I couldn't find a solution for this. I just want to be able to load Swiss through the Apps menu on Qoob Pro's initial screen when I turn the console on.

Thank you very much in advance.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:21 am

I've replied here: https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewt ... 780#p51780 - I'll add write support so you can copy/paste the latest DOL into it from a disc or SD adapter.
Schnapa

Post by Schnapa » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:25 am

Gday guys,

I have seen similar questions but i too am asking. I have a Qoob Pro however over time i have lost the USB to FCC adaptor. My soldering skills are non existent 😂 now is there a replacement board i can get or am i up s**t creek?

Cheere guys i want to run swiss from the chip and i really dont want to go replacing mod chips. I rather pit a GC Loader in and im not touching the clone garbage. B
Attachments
CCCA0500-81FA-4808-8B4D-478F1CC8C430.jpeg
(3.24 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Vzolfo24

Post by Vzolfo24 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:37 am

Schnapa wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:25 am
Gday guys,

I have seen similar questions but i too am asking. I have a Qoob Pro however over time i have lost the USB to FCC adaptor. My soldering skills are non existent 😂 now is there a replacement board i can get or am i up s**t creek?

Cheere guys i want to run swiss from the chip and i really dont want to go replacing mod chips. I rather pit a GC Loader in and im not touching the clone garbage. B
The programmer board you’re missing is very hard to find. The only way I can think of you getting a hold of one is go on eBay and get another GameCube with a Qoob Pro that has the programmer board and use that.