Getting the Qoob Pro recognized under Windows 10?

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
shawly

Getting the Qoob Pro recognized under Windows 10?

Post by shawly » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:29 pm

I have the problem that the Qoob Pro in the GC I recently got, is not recognized by my host, neither my PC nor my laptop.
After plugging it in it takes a while and then it says that the USB device could not be recognized. The device manager shows it is "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)".

I've seen a few posts where people said they got it working, but they did not say how... I've tried a few different USB ports, but since my laptop has the same problem, I'm guessing it's related to Win 10?

Is there a fix for this or do I need access to a Win XP machine?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Getting the Qoob Pro recognized under Windows 10?

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:11 am

It's not necessarily the version of windows at fault here but rather how the Qoob PRO USB enumerates itself. One hack is to unplug it and reinsert it a bunch of times in a short amount of time until you see the light on the smaller PCB light up, when you see that one come on you'll know it's going to work.

I've found that the qoob works with Windows 10 works perfectly with certain motherboards and then never works with others, it's a bit hit and miss, but that's expected from home made USB code from 14 years ago :P
shawly

Post by shawly » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:52 pm

Alright, so I've tried reinserting it a couple of times, but the led on the USB pcb doesn't light up, the one in the Gamecube always lights up. But it still doesn't work though, no matter if I replug it quickly or wait a few seconds before replugging, it just won't work..

Is there a list of working motherboards?

Edit: Oh wow, after randomly plugging it in and out for about half a minute it actually got recognized.. :shock:
Edit: Thanks for your help emu_kikid!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:15 am

Glad I could help, just make sure you do everything before unplugging it as it might be another few minutes until you get it working ever again :P