Viper + SD2SP2

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
EthanHunt007

Viper + SD2SP2

Post by EthanHunt007 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:04 pm

Hi All,

I have a Gamecube with a Viper Mod Chip Installed and i've just ordered a SD2SP2.

What else do I need to do to be able to run isos off the SD2SP2?

Thanks

EthanHunt
Diego borella

Re: Viper + SD2SP2

Post by Diego borella » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:19 pm

Well, I never had a chance to test a chip other than XENO. :?
but as far as i know, the viper is a correction chip to launch backups of the gamecube.
burn a mini DVD with SWISS <and play it on the unit. this is the easiest way and is what you need now to launch games from your SD2SP2: Swiss :mrgreen:
:!:
there are two versions of the Viper, you have to identify which one is yours. because one has 128kb of memory and the other 2mb.
in the "extreme" version, I think you can put the Swiss in flash memory. there are two paths.
I recommend using recorded mini DVDs as it is the easiest way ... :D
and furthermore, if your viper is the first, there is no room for the Swiss.
SWISS USER :geek:
ledu205

Post by ledu205 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:17 am

flash IPLBOOT on viper and SDcard on Memory Card slot B and SD2SP2 i'ts working great
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:45 am

You'll want something that will make your ViperGC boot Swiss directly from the SD2SP2 but unfortunately I don't think there's a version of IPLBoot with SD2SP2 support that fits inside the 40KB VGC plugin limit that the original ViperGC has.

So your solutions currently are:
* Burn a copy of Swiss to a 8cm DVD-R and pray that your GC can read it
* Use IPLBoot in its current state as a ViperGC Plugin and buy a memory card slot based SD adapter and put swiss on there, you can also use your SD2SP2 as Swiss will prioritise that over the memory card slot based SD card.

Alternative options I'm not sure exist, but could with effort:
* Get a .vgc file that completely replaces your Cobra BIOS on the ViperGC with an updated version of IPLBoot
* Wait for something better to come along with support and in the same size/footprint as a ViperGC plugin.
webhdx

Post by webhdx » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:58 am

I highly recommend using iplboot as Viper bios. It needs memcard adapter in order to load Swiss. You won't need DVD drive anymore. Maybe someone will eventually successfully compile iplboot with sd2sp2 support to fit <128kB. I'm still working on a project to replace ViperGC flash chip with bigger one. It isn't for everyone tho.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:00 am

NiHuSu's version of Suloku's DoLauncher is actually less than 128kb and supports SD2SP2, what is so special about IPLBoot that makes it so desirable? (I've used both in their SD2SP2 upgraded version as Dolaunchers from game exploit, and I don't see any difference…)

Ledu205 made an attempt with the IPL Boot, it works off a memcard (converted to gci), but it is 144992 Bytes in its .dol version, if it is not already compressed, the reach to get lower than 128kB once done doesn't seem insane.

If not, doesn't anybody made a loader as small as the ones in the game exploits, to load a DoLauncher off a GC memcard at first? 40kB seems big enough for that.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
webhdx

Post by webhdx » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:06 pm

I've never heard about Dolaunch. Is it possible to make IPL version out of it?

I was able to compile iplboot with SD2SP2 support myself but of course it's >128kB so it won't fit into ViperGC/QoobSX. I don't have enough knowledge to make it smaller tho. Also using older libogc is not possible out of the box because it lacks SD2SP2 support itself. I know someone would be able to make it work, it just requires some effort. I was too frustrated and spent way too much time on it.

Anyway iplboot+sd2sp2 is the ultimate combo for GC... No need to mess with any game exploits, just straight to Swiss booting in a few seconds.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:34 pm

I don't see why one wouldn't be able to, as IPLboot can be used as a DoLauncher. But I just presume without real knowledge about what it takes.

For example, when the SP2SD2 support in SWISS was announced, I assumed it would be as easy as sacrificing the SlotA by just changing the EXI adress in the equates in the build environment (or in the library) and recompiling with the old tools anyways. It seems it wasn't that easy.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)