Some help needed trying to get a working Shuriken Attack

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
Marmotta

Some help needed trying to get a working Shuriken Attack

Post by Marmotta » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:33 pm

I had a Gamecube that was missing the optical drive, so for a fun project I thought I'd try and make my own Shuriken Attack with the goal of eventually booting to Swiss. I'm sure those in the know are aware if it. but here's the link anyway: http://www.retro-system.com/shuriken_attack.htm

Image Image

As far as I can tell, the XC9536XL and serial flash (I've used a Macronix MX25V4035FM1I due to the chip in the BOM no longer being available) appear to have both been programmed correctly, my soldering seems fine and although the design I've made is a bit rough and ready, I can't see any major flaws (I noticed TMS and TDI are flipped on the CPLD, which only matters for programming the chip), but when the Shuriken is attached and the Gamecube powered on, it just boots to the standard Gamecube screen.

Image Image

I'm struggling to think of what to do, so thought I'd reach out for any tips in case anyone notices something I may have overlooked. The one thing I'm not sure about is the implementation of the passthrough switch, as although it is written in the CPLD code, there isn't really documentation about it in the shuriken page. I assume from the code highlighted below that if pin 2 of the CPLD is connected to VCC then it will boot the original Gamecube IPL? (Although whether the jumper I've included is closed, connecting pin 2 to VCC, or open, leaving it floating, it doesn't make any difference). Currently if I connect pin 2 to ground, then the console doesn't boot at all.

emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Some help needed trying to get a working Shuriken Attack

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:26 pm

Undead Sega

Post by Undead Sega » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:50 am

emu_kidid wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:26 pm
Why bother when we have https://twitter.com/webhdx/status/1538122564299538434 ?
How did we not know about this??? :o
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:59 pm

emu_kidid wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:26 pm
Why bother when we have https://twitter.com/webhdx/status/1538122564299538434 ?
I'm not usually a fan of "why bother?" responses, but it makes perfect sense in this scenario :mrgreen: I even occasionally check webhdx's twitter, but hadn't seen anything about this development.

Need to buy some Pi Pico boards or might draw up a quick RP2040 design!
Undead Sega

Post by Undead Sega » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:58 pm

Someone wrote on one of his twitter posts about wanting to flash Swiss onto the chip since it's acting like an IPL Replacement, but he hasn't responded yet.

Does anyone know if this is a possibility?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:45 pm

Not currently, unless you port over to a board with a bigger flash memory.
webhdx

Post by webhdx » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:35 pm

You can flash Swiss directly to my modchip if you use different board. With Pico we are currently limited to ~512kB payloads. This is due to an issue that I couldn't resolve but quite possible it'd be fixed in the future then PicoBoot will be provided with Swiss instead of iplboot.
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:15 pm

webhdx wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:35 pm
You can flash Swiss directly to my modchip if you use different board. With Pico we are currently limited to ~512kB payloads. This is due to an issue that I couldn't resolve but quite possible it'd be fixed in the future then PicoBoot will be provided with Swiss instead of iplboot.
I was looking over the hardware design notes for the RP2040 and was thinking about knocking up a board with a larger flash device in the next couple of days. If you have the files for an autobooting Swiss installation to hand, I'd be happy to test them out. I assume 4MB would be large enough for most Swiss builds or would something larger be better as a redundancy for future builds? Or is the issue something other then merely storage capacity?
Undead Sega

Post by Undead Sega » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:04 pm

webhdx wrote:
That is very delightful to hear.

You say it can only be done with a different board, which board might you be referring to if you don't mind me asking?
webhdx

Post by webhdx » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:20 pm

Any RP2040 board with more than 2MB of flash memory.
Undead Sega

Post by Undead Sega » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:10 am

So this can be done...right now?

Thinking of getting a 16MB flash, just to future proof :)
webhdx

Post by webhdx » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:34 am

I haven't tested it but I have different boards on order to try. The ultimate goal is to make it run from 2MB Pico which should be possible.
Undead Sega

Post by Undead Sega » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:56 pm

So which one does it work on perhaps?
webhdx

Post by webhdx » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:31 pm

I haven't tested any other boards but as long as you can get one with GP4, 5, 6, 7 then it should work. I can't guarantee it tho. And now Pico W dropped which I think is far more interesting option to explore.
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:15 pm

It's more complicated than that, different boards have different flash chips so you need to compile PicoBoot with the appropriate bootstrap or it won't work.
Undead Sega

Post by Undead Sega » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:12 am

Streetwalker wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:15 pm
It's more complicated than that, different boards have different flash chips so you need to compile PicoBoot with the appropriate bootstrap or it won't work.
@webhdx

Is this true?

Because I would've thought that it's simply the same flash chip but with larger capacity, thus there wouldn't be anything different if it were to be used.
webhdx

Post by webhdx » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:31 am

Many RP2040 boards are made with very similar components, just different layouts. I think it highly depends on the board you've chosen. I ordered a few different ones to test, they should be here next week. I wouldn't be concerned about different boards, especially with bigger flash. As soon as I fix the issue with binary size limit we'll have 1-2MB of memory to spare. Plenty for pretty much everything. Also the main platform for PicoBoot will be Pico W in the future. People really want that OTA update functionality.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:02 pm

Undead Sega wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:12 am
Streetwalker wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:15 pm
@webhdx

Is this true?

Because I would've thought that it's simply the same flash chip but with larger capacity, thus there wouldn't be anything different if it were to be used.
Yes, it is. Here you can see all the bootstrap implementations for different flash chips: https://github.com/raspberrypi/pico-sdk ... oot_stage2.
And here are all the board definitions currently in the SDK: https://github.com/raspberrypi/pico-sdk ... ude/boards. As you can see various boards select different flash chips (search for PICO_BOOT_STAGE2 in each file).
Not to mention that with how picoboot is currently structured you need to recompile it to change the payload anyway.
Undead Sega

Post by Undead Sega » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:15 am

webhdx wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:31 am
Many RP2040 boards are made with very similar components, just different layouts. I think it highly depends on the board you've chosen. I ordered a few different ones to test, they should be here next week. I wouldn't be concerned about different boards, especially with bigger flash. As soon as I fix the issue with binary size limit we'll have 1-2MB of memory to spare. Plenty for pretty much everything. Also the main platform for PicoBoot will be Pico W in the future. People really want that OTA update functionality.
Well I acme across this, this is how a 16MB version looks like.

Do you think it'll work with flashing Swiss?
Attachments
Sc9739d14b68b4350b173704e71d340a0E.jpg
(200.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
webhdx

Post by webhdx » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:57 am

I don't know, as I said I haven't tried it myself. If you feel like experimenting on your own then go for it. I need to fix the code and let Swiss be installed on the standard Pico board. Using 16MB board is hardly a solution to the issue with the code 😅
Undead Sega

Post by Undead Sega » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:42 am

webhdx wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:57 am
I don't know, as I said I haven't tried it myself. If you feel like experimenting on your own then go for it. I need to fix the code and let Swiss be installed on the standard Pico board. Using 16MB board is hardly a solution to the issue with the code 😅
Only doing so just in case Swiss expands to sizes we haven't foreseen yet 8-)

Also, do you know if Swiss can be updated via. DVD method?
webhdx

Post by webhdx » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:07 pm

I'm not sure why would you want to run Swiss from PicoBoot directly? You still need SD adapter to preserve patches and settings. It's easier to update Swiss file on an SD card instead of having to flash PicoBoot via USB.
Undead Sega

Post by Undead Sega » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:49 pm

webhdx wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:07 pm
I'm not sure why would you want to run Swiss from PicoBoot directly? You still need SD adapter to preserve patches and settings. It's easier to update Swiss file on an SD card instead of having to flash PicoBoot via USB.
Wait, I thought you could flash Swiss directly onto the PicaBoot? :shock:
webhdx

Post by webhdx » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:23 pm

It's probably possible but I haven't tested it because I only have Pico boards with 2MB flash. You need a different board to try it. Anyway, I simply don't see a point to program PicoBoot with Swiss. Especially because you will need an SD card anyway if you want to persist patches and settings.
Undead Sega

Post by Undead Sega » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:08 am

webhdx wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:23 pm
It's probably possible but I haven't tested it because I only have Pico boards with 2MB flash. You need a different board to try it. Anyway, I simply don't see a point to program PicoBoot with Swiss. Especially because you will need an SD card anyway if you want to persist patches and settings.
Ahh, so has the chances changed a bit?

I was recalling from our posts here earlier on:
webhdx wrote:
But I understand in regards to the flash memory.

What if I were to help you obtain a 4MB or 16MB Pico board?