Best modding way

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
Tery_on

Best modding way

Post by Tery_on » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:42 pm

Hi,

I’m trying to decide the best way to mod a NGC.
I currently have PAL GC.

Is there any pros and cons to mod a PAL GC over an NTSC one ?
For snes, 60hz on Euro snes is not as Fast as 60hz on NTSC one, is it the same for GC ?

I’m currently using Super Mario Sunshine hack to boot swiss.
I know that GC Loader is the best way to play Game backup, but is picoboot any better than using Super Mario Sunshine hack, other than keeping safe the DVD reader ?

PS : is picoboot compatibility so much worse than gcloader ?

Thank you for your answers to come.

Take care.

Teryon.
Papy.G

Re: Best modding way

Post by Papy.G » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:24 pm

Pal GCs are the best as they have native RGB. Stick with it and SMS hack.
The more you keep the optical drive, the more compatible you'll be. There will be no much difference between SMS hack and PicoBoot, except the slightly faster access to Swiss.
SWISS is getting better and better, maybe we'll get perfect compatibility one day. I don't use that many games, but I don't feel I can complain about compatibility concerns.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Tery_on

Post by Tery_on » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:34 pm

Thanks.
Is there any informations on 60hz from an US/JAP GC versus PAL GC ? Any differences due to quartz or anything else ?

For SNES :
PAL 50 Hz -> between 49.96 fps & 50.13 fps (PAL)
PAL 60 Hz -> between 59.46 fps & 59.67 fps (NTSC)
NTSC US 60 Hz -> 59.98 fps
NTSC JP 60 Hz-> 60.08 fps
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:19 am

I wasn't aware about the Snes differences, and down to the values you wrote, I would have said it would be unnoticeable, unlike the SGB frequency.

Although, I think the GameCube doesn't show those differences since video rendering and output are differentiated, and doesn't work the same way as in the previous generation consoles.

I would love to see how relevant are those frequencies, if they were read on the same instruments, and how they can vary from unit to unit.

However, there is another problem on PAL60 compatible games: they seem like the 50Hz mode is rendered faster, then the output just skips a frame every now and then (5/6).
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:52 am

The GC hardware is completely identical in all versions except for the video DAC.
Many games of that era rely on framerate for timing and not all of them are adjusted for the difference at 50Hz, so they will run slower than originally intended in that mode.